A 'Campy says' question.....

J. Price

Guest
Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth for a
long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.

[email protected] (J. Price) writes:

> Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth for
> a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.

Chain will possibly be slack in the small-small combination, so don't do that. Otherwise I can't
think of a reason not to use an 11.

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (J. Price) writes:
>
> > Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth
> > for a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.
>
> Chain will possibly be slack in the small-small combination, so don't do that. Otherwise I can't
> think of a reason not to use an 11.

.........Well thanks,but I know about chain wrap and how to size a chain for given chainring/cog
combinations. I'm sure that is not the issue.

[email protected] (J. Price) writes:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... >
>> [email protected] (J. Price) writes:
>>
>> > Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth
>> > for a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.
>>
>> Chain will possibly be slack in the small-small combination, so don't do that. Otherwise I can't
>> think of a reason not to use an
>> 11.
>
> .........Well thanks,but I know about chain wrap and how to size a chain for given chainring/cog
> combinations. I'm sure that is not the issue.

I can't think that there is another issue. Are you planning on using it with a triple? I presume
that Campy was planning on that, and that you were planning on a bib-big combination of 53 x 26 or
something. So if the chain is long enough for that, it may be too long for the granny - 11
combination. After all, this isn't a derailleur Campy intends for touring- the call it a "racing
triple" after all...

How much difference can 1 tooth make, anyway? Go for it.

Tim McNamara wrote:

> [email protected] (J. Price) writes:
>
> > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<m2smhw3t1g.fsf@Stella-
> > Blue.local>... >

---8<---

---8<-----

> How much difference can 1 tooth make, anyway? Go for it.

The distance between top edge of jockey wheel and the 11 tooth cog will be slightly greater,
compared with a larger cog. On indexed shifting this might become an issue since it will be harder
for the DR to get the chain to leave the 11T and go to the next. On an older chain, it could be that
you will not get a shift. Only way is to try, though, and the price of an outer cog is pretty low.

One caveat - I myself have never had to solve this problem, so take the above as a guess only. My
way of avoiding all this is having a 14T as my smallest cog, which makes my shifting in that area
very crisp and quick indeed.

/Robert

Bimemn-<< Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13
teeth for a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? >><BR><BR>

drum roll........

nuthin'...nor sure where campagnolo got this 12t min thing but like a lot of what they and others
that spout the 'company line', it just ain't true. use that 11-23 on that medium or long cage,
triple/double/Tyler crank equipped Campagnolo 10s system and it'll work jus' fine..

J. Price wrote:
> Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth for
> a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.

It will shift. But the medium doesn't track as closely as the short cage version.