A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Spencer Bullen, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Spencer Bullen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:C6vUb.11329$%[email protected]...

    > http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/nedagotchi/glaBikeMovie.html

    One of the more lunatic pro-helmet sites is actually suggesting that helmets with chin-guards be
    mandated to prevent the injury that lad probably sustained.

    Me, I think they are fiddling at the edges of the problem and should go straight to full body
    armour. Obviously it's not needed indoors, so it needs to be easy to get in and out. The logical
    design would be a sort of box with a seat that you sit in. It would be too heavy to pedal, so you'd
    need an engine...

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 5/2/04 5:43 pm, in article [email protected], "Just
    zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Spencer Bullen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:C6vUb.11329$%[email protected]
    > binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
    >
    >> http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/nedagotchi/glaBikeMovie.html
    >

    > One of the more lunatic pro-helmet sites is actually suggesting that helmets with chin-guards be
    > mandated to prevent the injury that lad probably sustained.

    Chin guards wouldn't help in this case. Heed need ful limpact resistant goggles to keep the foliage
    out of his face..

    ..d

  5. Scrumpyjoe

    Scrumpyjoe Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:33:36 +0000, Spencer Bullen wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > check out this link:
    >
    > http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/nedagotchi/glaBikeMovie.html
    >
    > I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help but laugh. A the same time, maybe helmets are a good idea?
    >
    > T.T.F.N.
    >
    > SPENNY

    I don't even know if that is Glasgow. That partiular clip has been doing the rounds for about
    a year now.

  6. W K

    W K Guest

    "Spencer Bullen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:C6vUb.11329$%[email protected]...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > check out this link:
    >
    > http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/nedagotchi/glaBikeMovie.html
    >
    > I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help but laugh. A the same time, maybe helmets are a good idea?

    I note that the more extreme examples of the BHiT mentality is relying on this sort of thing.

    If kids playing on bikes without helmets should be made illegal - its more the "playing" than the
    lack of helmet thats going to get them injured so bikes that encourage such riding styles should
    also be made illegal.

    Ban all jump bikes, BMX bikes and almost all MTBs!

    (I must admit that I had a rather dull girly upright bike, but did do jumps until the frame was so
    badly cracked it wobbled).

  7. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > (I must admit that I had a rather dull girly upright bike, but did do jumps until the frame was so
    > badly cracked it wobbled).

    My first bike was a Triang shopper. Naturally this had zero street cred, however my status in the
    eyes of my friends rose considerably as I was the first person to break their bike jumping over a
    small ramp. It sheared between the steering tube and the down tube (no top tube on it at all).
    Triang obviously had more gentle shoppers than me in mind when they built it :)

    I still remember walking home with the two bits in my hand :-(

    Cheers,

    Graeme

  8. W K

    W K Guest

    "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > (I must admit that I had a rather dull girly upright bike, but did do jumps until the frame was
    > > so badly cracked it wobbled).
    > >

    > My first bike was a Triang shopper. Naturally this had zero street cred,

    Unlike the Raleigh shopper eh? I saw the times had a picture of George Best on one in the 1970s (for
    an article by Lance). Has anyone ever seen this on the web?

    > however my status in the eyes of my friends rose considerably as I was the first person to break
    > their bike jumping over a small ramp. It sheared between the steering tube and the down tube (no
    > top tube on it at all).

    Mine was a second hand, possibly 60's girl's framed bike (and this was the 80s). No cred at all,
    even in its death - it was ridable when wobbly.

  9. > If kids playing on bikes without helmets should be made illegal - its more the "playing" than the
    > lack of helmet thats going to get them injured so bikes that encourage such riding styles should
    > also be made illegal.
    >
    > Ban all jump bikes, BMX bikes and almost all MTBs!

    Don't forget those dangerous roads - ban all road bikes too. My job will not be finished until we
    all ride exercise bikes!

    ---

  10. W K

    W K Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>

    > My job will not be finished until we all ride exercise bikes!

    huh. Those things are dangerous too.

  11. > > My job will not be finished until we all ride exercise bikes!

    > huh. Those things are dangerous too.

    hmmm, you've given me an idea....

    ---

  12. Graeme wrote:

    > My first bike was a Triang shopper. Naturally this had zero street cred, however my status in the
    > eyes of my friends rose considerably as I was the first person to break their bike jumping over a
    > small ramp. It sheared between the steering tube and the down tube (no top tube on it at all).
    > Triang obviously had more gentle shoppers than me in mind when they built it :)

    We did the same thing with a Raleigh Shopper which we found in a rusted state while exploring the
    undergrowth of a neighbour's garden. He let us keep it, so we sprayed it Ford Electric Blue and
    fitted the biggest pair of cow-horns that Thatcham Cycles could supply. We only used it for jumps
    and the main tube snapped after two weeks :-(

  13. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> writes

    >(I must admit that I had a rather dull girly upright bike, but did do jumps until the frame was so
    >badly cracked it wobbled).

    My first bike was a girl's bike that my mum bought off an elderly neighbour. I'm sure pink
    featured strongly in the colour scheme. Then I went to summer college in Donegal, and when I got
    back it was in pieces. My brother had used it for his favourite activity, bike rallying over a
    hilly, muddy track.

    --
    congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google http://congokid.com