A change of pace

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Brossman

While my regular ride is out of commission due to a dead rear hub, I put my '93 Trek back into
action. It has been a commuter for 5 years now, serving that job rather well. Old DX 7 speed, canti.
brakes, very old RS Judy up front. The shock is very outdated and I have the preload set pretty
high. I really don't want much action up there. I rode one of my local trails yesterday on my 970
steel hard tail. Here are a few observations. DX was great stuff back in '93 and still is today. The
shifting is superb, the cranks are nice, brakes stop and modulate well. (One note on canti brakes,
they may work just as well as V's, but they are really a pain in the butt to get the pads aligned
with the rims.) I like the feel of the bike on the climbs, but I had to be a little more active over
the rougher stuff than I am normally on the full suspension ride. Maybe I've gotten lazy. Coming
down was a different story, I felt like I had quicker handling, but the vibration at speed got
annoying. The front shock was probably the primary cause, but no rear suspension made it harder to
hold my line when the trail got rocky. All in all, I did like the change of pace, and see myself
riding this bike more often. I am still considering a conversion to SS, but right now it is
satisfactory as a geared bike. I will replace the front shock with the original steel fork and I may
throw some old V's on as well, just to make setup easier.

If you have "upgraded" to a new ride in the last few years, consider dusting off the bike it
replaced and giving it a spin. You just might be suprised, I know I was.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:45:03 GMT, Craig Brossman wrote:

> If you have "upgraded" to a new ride in the last few years, consider dusting off the bike it
> replaced and giving it a spin. You just might be suprised, I know I was.

My 94 Marin Bear Valley SE is still in service and gets used as a loaner and road bike. The canti's
work fantastic (set up Bonty-style), better than my Avid V's - but as you say, they a *serious*
pain to setup!

Like yours, the weak point on the old bike is the Manitou Magnum fork, an elastometer-only fork.
Zero maintenance is nice, but is like a friggin' pogo stick!

Its a shame to let good old rides gather dust.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> While my regular ride is out of commission due to a dead rear hub, I put my '93 Trek back into
> action. It has been a commuter for 5 years now, serving that job rather well. Old DX 7 speed,
> canti. brakes, very old RS Judy up front. The shock is very outdated and I have the preload set
> pretty high. I really don't want much action up there. I rode one of my local trails yesterday on
> my 970 steel hard tail. Here are a few observations. DX was great stuff back in '93 and still is
> today. The shifting is superb, the cranks are nice, brakes stop and modulate well. (One note on
> canti brakes, they may work just as well as V's, but they are really a pain in the butt to get the
> pads aligned with the rims.) I like the feel of the bike on the climbs, but I had to be a little
> more active over the rougher stuff than I am normally on the full suspension ride. Maybe I've
> gotten lazy. Coming down was a different story, I felt like I had quicker handling, but the
> vibration at speed got annoying. The front shock was probably the primary cause, but no rear
> suspension made it harder to hold my line when the trail got rocky. All in all, I did like the
> change of pace, and see myself riding this bike more often. I am still considering a conversion to
> SS, but right now it is satisfactory as a geared bike. I will replace the front shock with the
> original steel fork and I may throw some old V's on as well, just to make setup easier.
>
> If you have "upgraded" to a new ride in the last few years, consider dusting off the bike it

I hate to say I told you so, do I won't. It's like hanging out with an old friend, isn't it?

JD

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> While my regular ride is out of commission due to a dead rear hub, I put my '93 Trek back into
> action. It has been a commuter for 5 years now, serving that job rather well. Old DX 7 speed,
> canti. brakes, very old RS Judy up front. The shock is very outdated and I have the preload set
> pretty high. I really don't want much action up there. I rode one of my local trails yesterday on
> my 970 steel hard tail. Here are a few observations. DX was great stuff back in '93 and still is
> today. The shifting is superb, the cranks are nice, brakes stop and modulate well. (One note on
> canti brakes, they may work just as well as V's, but they are really a pain in the butt to get the
> pads aligned with the rims.) I like the feel of the bike on the climbs, but I had to be a little
> more active over the rougher stuff than I am normally on the full suspension ride. Maybe I've
> gotten lazy. Coming down was a different story, I felt like I had quicker handling, but the
> vibration at speed got annoying. The front shock was probably the primary cause, but no rear
> suspension made it harder to hold my line when the trail got rocky. All in all, I did like the
> change of pace, and see myself riding this bike more often. I am still considering a conversion to
> SS, but right now it is satisfactory as a geared bike. I will replace the front shock with the
> original steel fork and I may throw some old V's on as well, just to make setup easier.
>

No doubt! I am accustomed to riding a geared f/s pig, but recently took a '92ish Trek 930 sinletrack
(that was abandoned at the lbs and about to be dumpstered) and built a SS with spare parts and $125.
What a difference this bike brings to the whole love of biking! Momentum and climbing are my newest
best friends.

And to think, this was just an ol' pos... Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.