A-class wheels. Comments please

jitteringjr

Sep 2, 2003
For about the same money, $350us, I can either get a set of Mavic Ksyerium Equipe (1820g) or A-class Alex 320 wheels (1630g). I am familiar with Mavics because I used to have Ksyerium elites, but I have no experience with A class wheels. Does any one have any horror stories with them?

Because they are almost 200 grams lighter, I am thinking about getting the A class set. Which is the better set for the money?

Any other recomendations in the sub $500 (US) range for wheels.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks

jitteringjr said:
For about the same money, $350us, I can either get a set of Mavic Ksyerium Equipe (1820g) or A-class Alex 320 wheels (1630g). I am familiar with Mavics because I used to have Ksyerium elites, but I have no experience with A class wheels. Does any one have any horror stories with them?

Because they are almost 200 grams lighter, I am thinking about getting the A class set. Which is the better set for the money?

I have the Equipes, seem to be good wheels although I have nothing to compare them against...yet.

I just purchased a set of Velomax Circuits, which are a little lighter (1720gr) so I'll soon find out. Retail somewhere in the $500 range so they could be an option for you. I might be able to come up with a set for less if you're interested. :)

John

jitteringjr said:

Actually I just saw them for $299 on ebay (known seller)... the Velomax Circuits that is.

John

Mansmind said:
Actually I just saw them for $299 on ebay (known seller)... the Velomax Circuits that is.

John

Thanks John,

The Velomax Circuits would have been my first choice, but I think their red Velomax color would look a little hoky with the Bianchi Celeste color. Too bad because I think they are only 1650 grams too.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/xl_carbon_chorus.html
and
http://www.velomax.com/img2003/models_img_Circuit_WheelPic_650x650.jpg

Anyone think that is a bad color combo? Should I care?

A mate of mine in London bought a set of American Classics 340's or 440's and they are SUPER Lite. I would HIGHLY recommend these as they are strong serviceable and look the business. He is about 76-79 kg in weight and races on them regularly and has had no stresses at all. The Deep V rim option would obvioulsy be the stronger choise if one wanted to ride them everyday. Hope this helps.:)

I've had good luck with Alex rims, but I've never ridden any of their built wheels. I'd go with the Chorus/Open Pro wheels. They appear to be hand built.