A close call

nget

New Member
Feb 24, 2004
I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me. The beast bolted about a foot from my pedals and turned back into the dark. The light I'm using is a 6volt and I'm thinking it's just not enough for where I am riding.
The things we go thru just to ride our recumbents.
Mark

nget wrote:
> I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
> traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me. The
> beast bolted about a foot from my pedals and turned back into the dark.
> The light I'm using is a 6volt and I'm thinking it's just not enough for
> where I am riding.
> The things we go thru just to ride our recumbents.
> Mark

Well deer act funny anyway. They are as bad a squirrels. Deer tend to
freeze in the light. And then decide to move at inappropriate times.
Thats when disaster strikes.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

Ken C. M. said:
nget wrote:
> I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
> traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me.

Well deer act funny anyway. They are as bad a squirrels. Deer tend to
freeze in the light. And then decide to move at inappropriate times.
Thats when disaster strikes.

Ken
--
My ride would have been more relaxed had I waited for people to get home from the evening commute. The deer also have a habit of moving right after dark, they're predictable in that anyway. Between having to work and the rain fronts that come in the pnw, I have to ride when I get a chance. Mark

nget wrote:
> I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
> traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me. The
> beast bolted about a foot from my pedals and turned back into the dark.
> The light I'm using is a 6volt and I'm thinking it's just not enough for
> where I am riding.
> The things we go thru just to ride our recumbents.
> Mark

It's rutting season and where I am (Illinois) it's the opening of
shotgun season as well, one or two days ago it began I think.... Between
midnight and 4AM, you can't hardly take three steps out your front door
without getting run down by a whitetail.
~