A comment about straight razors.

BassDave

Jun 30, 2004
Recently, my wife got a free sample of the Schick (sp?) straight razor that has four blades on it. After using it a couple of times, I have to make the following comment. I'm not sure what their aim was, but to me, this razor doesn't do any better than my razor with only two blades, . . . AND it almost seems to pull/hurt more. It isn't any quicker either. I wonder why they decided to have all those blades when two works just fine. :confused:

Why do people drive those big hulking gas swilling tanks when a modest compact car would get them to their destination just as quickly?

Actually, I did find the 4 blader would sure shave my face clean, but not better enough to justify the extra expense.

Minor point of diction: I could be wrong, but I think you mean safety razor, not straight razor. A straight razor is the sort of 5" long, gleaming folding blade capable of evisceration, hewing limbs, cutting throats and what not--along with shaving faces and necks, of course. Think The Color Purple or Sweeny Todd.

lokstah said:
Minor point of diction: I could be wrong, but I think you mean safety razor, not straight razor. A straight razor is the sort of 5" long, gleaming folding blade capable of evisceration, hewing limbs, cutting throats and what not--along with shaving faces and necks, of course. Think The Color Purple or Sweeny Todd.

Oh, . . Yes! Thank you for the correction, Lokstah. That would absolutely [then] be a safety razor. :)

PseudoTrek said:
Oh, . . Yes! Thank you for the correction, Lokstah. That would absolutely [then] be a safety razor. :)
I was thinking about what a 4-blade straight razor might look like... scary! :)

lokstah said:
From that title, I was almost expecting to hear about a season ending injury incurred while leg shaving. :eek:

artmichalek said:
From that title, I was almost expecting to hear about a season ending injury incurred while leg shaving. :eek:
Me too!!

(this is 10 characters)

artmichalek said:
Me too. I was drawn to the thread, wincing, by morbid curiosity.

To answer the original post, though, I'd have to say I disagree, personally. I'm a sucker for fancy toothbrushes and fancy razors, and ever since Gillette came out with the Mach3 a few years back, I've thought the 3+ blade safety razors were a good thing.

So long as the blades are fresh, I don't get any more pulling/scraping than I would with a double or single. Better yet, when they're new and sharp, the 3 or 4 blade setup provides a broader, flatter cutting surface... there's less of an issue keeping the blade at an appropriate angle to the skin. I get good results with them.

Like saddles to asses, though, razors must be personal. Maybe you should try a straight razor after all, Pseudotrek. Might be cool to have... scary, but cool...

I believe I'll let the straight razors alone!! :eek:

For me, it seems like the 4 blade razor pulled more than the one with two. And the razor is new. I've only used it a couple of times.

PseudoTrek said:
I believe I'll let the straight razors alone!! :eek:

For me, it seems like the 4 blade razor pulled more than the one with two. And the razor is new. I've only used it a couple of times.
Maybe go for three!

It has nothing to do with getting a better shave in my opinion. The manufacturer is aware that for what ever reason (status, conversation material, self esteem, etc.) there are some people that just have to feel like they own and use "the latest and the greatest". Just think of the bike market. There are guys out there who just had to have that Campy carbon fiber crank and derailleur to save a few ounces, when a month without "Budweiser" would save them three times the weight!

Then to, since it is patented Shick will have exclusivity for a while. Once the twin blade was a name brand product. Now most of the sales are of drug chain and supermarket generics.

As to safety razor performance, we men really ought to ask the ladies. You've got to ask youself, who shaves more area, and more "sensitive locations" men or women?

What I'd like to know is who is this person that needs the "perfect" close shave ? I shave my face at 7 AM, by 9AM I can feel a bit of stubble, by happy time I start to show a bit of shadow. No matter how close the shave, the same thing happens. This is my experience, and as far as I can tell the experience of many men. So, why the big deal about close shaving?:confused:

And what's up with the razor with a battery in the handle? Really what is it suppose to do? Like waxbytes says " a closer shave?" Give me a break!
Will this post bring in the "wax twins"??