A commuter question

"Cully_J" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm curious about what commuters - especially ones who wear suits - do
> to wash up when they get to work.
>
> Cully_J

I ride 10 miles each way to work and home in So Cal, it usually does not
get cold enough to require any special cold weather attire.

Our office is business casual.

I ride in cycling shorts and a fluorescent yellow jersey (I like to be
very visible). I carry my rain jacket (this doubles as a windbreaker
until I get warmed up), change of clothes and shoes, laptop and
accessories etc. in panniers. I dry the sweat with paper towels and I
have a fan in my cubicle to help me cool off.

At the office I cool off in my cycling clothes (I arrive early) and then
change into business attire after I am cool and dry.

I just hang my damp cycling clothes on the cube wall until they are
completely dry.

I also have found that if you keep clean, odor does not become an issue.

Another suggestion I have seen is to drive in to the office once a week,
load your space with four sets of clothing for the week and remove last
weeks soiled attire; this would be a good plan for someone who must wear
a suit (no wrinkles).

Rich

In article <[email protected]>,
"Cully_J" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm curious about what commuters - especially ones who wear suits - do to
> wash up when they get to work.
>
> Cully_J

No suit here, in general. i ride in wearing weather-appropriate bikie
clothes. I work in a pretty relaxed place, but i never ride in the clothes i
work in. I fab'ed a little clothes rack where i hang (on hangers) my bike
clothes and some of my work clothes. This keeps my bikie stuff from getting
smelly by assuring they dry quickly. i give myself a couple of minutes to
cool down if need be, no biggie; i don't bother with a towel or a shower,
it's not at all needed.

I have another out-of-the-way locker where i keep about 5~7 changes of
clothes. I also keep a couple of nice sport coats and a collection of nice
neckties for when Public Affairs photographers, hoi polloi, tours, or
powerful washington dignitaries visit.

I rotate and mix/match my stuff so i don't have to take my clothes home
every week.

Thus, i'm always neatly and smartly attired, don't smell like a goat and
dress better than most of my cow orkers. You would absolutely never suspect
i ride 9 miles at warp speed to work every day if you stopped in (except for
the bike glove tan lines i get in the summer).

The key is having a place to dry your bike clothes and a suitable place to
_hang_ your work clothes. Pretty easy.

..max

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 01:25:29 +0000, Richard B wrote:

> Another suggestion I have seen is to drive in to the office once a week,
> load your space with four sets of clothing for the week and remove last
> weeks soiled attire; this would be a good plan for someone who must wear a
> suit (no wrinkles).

I know several people who do this. Some also drive one way, and ride the
other, then the opposite the next day.

Matt O.

My practices are picked up by other reponses on this thread, so they need
not be belabored. My advice: just do it and you'll figure out how soon
enough!

"Cully_J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm curious about what commuters - especially ones who wear suits - do to
> wash up when they get to work.
>
> Cully_J

In article <nH%[email protected]>,
"Ron Wallenfang" <[email protected]> writes:

> My practices are picked up by other reponses on this thread, so they need
> not be belabored. My advice: just do it and you'll figure out how soon
> enough!

That's pretty much how it works.
Necessity is a mother...

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <nH%[email protected]>,
> "Ron Wallenfang" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> My practices are picked up by other reponses on this thread, so they need
>> not be belabored. My advice: just do it and you'll figure out how soon
>> enough!

> That's pretty much how it works.
> Necessity is a mother...

"Necessity is a mother...", Tom said inventively.

Mike
(yes, I should have resisted the urge to make this joke)