General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

A convert to the MSR Pocket Rocket

Started by Robin E. C. · · Last activity · 2 posts · 276 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 September 2004
Last activity
9 September 2004
Original author
Robin E. C.
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
276
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been lurking in the Group and absorbing comments about
    lightweight stoves and in particular the MSR Pocket Rocket.
    So, on the implied recommendation of so many satisfied users I bought
    one. It arrived today and already I'm converted.
    Firstly I weighed the whole unit (including the 'natty' red plastic
    container) and to my horror (no, just the opposite in fact) I found it
    weighed exactly what the maunfacturer's specification claimed.
    Secondly, I tested it using a Coleman 30/70 mix 220grm cannister. Had
    no problems with gas flow and surprise surprise the performance
    outstripped the manufacterers suggestions.
    Thirdly, and on this point I was a little dubious having read so many
    comments about stability, I was again very pleasantly surprised to
    find just how stable the unit appeared. A taller, smaller diameter
    cannister would obviously detract from stability, but I also tried the
    small 97grm 'emergency' cannister I've carried for some time and (it
    worked fine on gas delivery by the way) was quite happy with stability
    there too.
    All in all I reckon it's a sound buy. Now I look forward to giving it
    some real work ove the weekend.
    Cheers all for the good advice,
    Robin

  2. Robin E. C. said:

    Thirdly, and on this point I was a little dubious having read so many
    comments about stability, I was again very pleasantly surprised to
    find just how stable the unit appeared.

    It's only a relative problem: you wouldn't want that level of stability
    for daily household cooking if you had a normal hob as an alternative,
    and compared to that it's shocking. But in absolute terms, with a
    little care it should be fine.
    For a relative comparison in camping stoves, look at a Trangia: you can
    only knock one over with targeted force, where a pan on a canister-top
    stove can be upset with an accidental nudge. But again the case that
    with care this needn't be an issue.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.