A Counter Argument

Bob Schwartz

Guest
Is doping destroying the sport? I've been arguing no, the NY
Times says yes, some damage is resulting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/b...r=1&ref=business&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

There are some pretty significant flaws in that article. It
blames everything on doping scandals in a sport where sponsorship
interest has always ebbed and flowed. For example, The Tour of
Utah imploded just like many similar events have before they got
off the ground, you can't lay that on doping scandals. And it
draws a connection with organizational problems with the Virginia
Open without providing any evidence that such a connection exists.

But there are some solid points there also.

Bob Schwartz

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is doping destroying the sport? I've been arguing no, the NY
> Times says yes, some damage is resulting.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/b...r=1&ref=business&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin
>
> There are some pretty significant flaws in that article. It
> blames everything on doping scandals in a sport where sponsorship
> interest has always ebbed and flowed. For example, The Tour of
> Utah imploded just like many similar events have before they got
> off the ground, you can't lay that on doping scandals. And it
> draws a connection with organizational problems with the Virginia
> Open without providing any evidence that such a connection exists.
>
> But there are some solid points there also.

The site requires a registration that I will not give.
Would you summarize the solid points?

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Is doping destroying the sport? I've been arguing no, the NY
>> Times says yes, some damage is resulting.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/b...r=1&ref=business&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin
>>
>> There are some pretty significant flaws in that article. It
>> blames everything on doping scandals in a sport where sponsorship
>> interest has always ebbed and flowed. For example, The Tour of
>> Utah imploded just like many similar events have before they got
>> off the ground, you can't lay that on doping scandals. And it
>> draws a connection with organizational problems with the Virginia
>> Open without providing any evidence that such a connection exists.
>>
>> But there are some solid points there also.

> The site requires a registration that I will not give.
> Would you summarize the solid points?

The link was from an article at Velonews, it didn't bug me for a login:

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11637.0.html

- The number of televised hours of cycling coverage is dropping, in
several markets.
- Races like Henninger Turm having trouble lining up sponsors.
- TV ratings are down.
- Long time sponsor Rabobank is reducing it's reliance on pro cycling
in their marketing efforts.

Bob Schwartz

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Is doping destroying the sport? I've been arguing no, the NY
> >> Times says yes, some damage is resulting.
> >>
> >> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/b...r=1&ref=business&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin
> >>
> >> There are some pretty significant flaws in that article. It
> >> blames everything on doping scandals in a sport where sponsorship
> >> interest has always ebbed and flowed. For example, The Tour of
> >> Utah imploded just like many similar events have before they got
> >> off the ground, you can't lay that on doping scandals. And it
> >> draws a connection with organizational problems with the Virginia
> >> Open without providing any evidence that such a connection exists.
> >>
> >> But there are some solid points there also.

> > The site requires a registration that I will not give.
> > Would you summarize the solid points?

> The link was from an article at Velonews, it didn't bug me for a login:
>
> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11637.0.html

When _I_ click the `Full Story' link in the velonews articl I get
the registration page.

> - The number of televised hours of cycling coverage is dropping, in
> several markets.
> - Races like Henninger Turm having trouble lining up sponsors.
> - TV ratings are down.
> - Long time sponsor Rabobank is reducing it's reliance on pro cycling
> in their marketing efforts.

Thanks.

--
Michael Press