A couple of mech Deore disc brake questions

landotter

Guest
Got my boxed Brodie Energy city bike today. Happy happy, fit perfectly,
saved a ton by doing the fleabay thing, but a coupla issues regarding
the Deore discs.

They're my first discs, didn't intend to buy a bike with them, but the
price was right, and heck, I've worked on plenty of discs on cars and
m/c's. The idea of discs on a commuter seemed pretty cool.

Front rotor was warped slightly, nothing the heel of me hand couldn't
correct, as it was under 0.5 mm. Solved.

But I've found no info on setting up these brakes properly, the Shimano
site has zilch, so I just did what logic dictated, and I'd not mind
some hints on making this easier.

Centering the brakes on the rotor? I loosened the two bolts that allow
for lateral positioning, and with a backlight, centered the mech on the
rotor,, then tightened the bolts.On the front I had to screw the static
rotor adjuster in a couple of clicks to get it nice and close. Worked
fine, but is this this the accepted way for Deores?

Next query is cable tension. I just took out the slack and the brakes
will lock with half of the lever pull. Seems nice enough, but right?

The biggie is mounting a rear rack. I've got seat stay braze-ons, but
the mechanism seems to get in the way of most racks, though the frame's
got the drillings.

A rack with one rear diagonal stay might possibly work, and I want to
steer clear of post mounted racks and very expensive custom solutions.

Ideas? Use spacers to clear the piston?

There's a mysterious braze-on on the seat stay opposite of the highest
brake mounting bolt. No threads though. Looks promising. I'll post a
picture in the morning.

landotter wrote:
> Got my boxed Brodie Energy city bike today. Happy happy, fit perfectly,
> saved a ton by doing the fleabay thing, but a coupla issues regarding
> the Deore discs.
>
> They're my first discs, didn't intend to buy a bike with them, but the
> price was right, and heck, I've worked on plenty of discs on cars and
> m/c's. The idea of discs on a commuter seemed pretty cool.
>
> Front rotor was warped slightly, nothing the heel of me hand couldn't
> correct, as it was under 0.5 mm. Solved.
>
> But I've found no info on setting up these brakes properly, the Shimano
> site has zilch, so I just did what logic dictated, and I'd not mind
> some hints on making this easier.

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/c....Schematic.0007.File.tmp/SI-BR-M475-8C90E.pdf

Cool beans! I'll have a lookie at that.

Couldn't find the same document when searching the yankee branded end
of the Shimano labyrinth or even google.

magical.

/me reads...