A couple of newbie questions (tubes, SPD pedals, tires)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    First bike, had it for a while and I got my first flat today. I have a pair of Bontrager tires both
    front and back and after going over the tire in the garage I caught a fairly obvious piece of glass
    embedded into the tire. Picture a piece of glass, about the size of a watermelon seed, about 4-5 mm
    square, wedge shaped. I worked it out of the tire, and resigned myself to going by the bike store to
    replace the tube.

    My first question is, do I need to replace the tire too? I mean, it was, like I said, about the
    size of a watermelon seed, and after working it out of the tire, there's definitely a "spot" there.
    But once you put a new tube in, is it an issue? I'm not *that* strapped, so a new tire isn't out of
    the question, just a pain in the wallet. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but this is my
    first "nice" bike and I honestly dunno how these things behave at higher speeds on roads filled to
    the max...

    Second. I was riding today to test out some new cleats, and I liked them, I just wish they were
    more...I dunno..."snug"? It just seems kinda like they 'float' a little in the pedal. They're SPDs,
    Shimano, and I was wondering if it was as easy as turning the allen bolt on the leading edge of the
    pedal, and if so, do I rotate it and tighten the other one the same amount? And what's the best way
    to determine how tight you're going, just hop on and keep pedaling around a little after you tighten
    it a little until it's as "snug" in the pedal as you're comfortable with? Is it even *supposed* to
    be "snug"? I don't personally like it when the pedal moves around a lot, it makes me feel like my
    cleats are all lose. I like to clip into them and be tight. At least that was my experience on my
    mountain bike, and it felt really nice and secure. Is this what I'm after? Just a little tightening
    of that allen bolt?

    Thanks, like I said, sounds kinda silly, but this is my first Road bike, and I wanna make sure I'm
    doing the right thing...

    Tags:

  2. cliff

    cliff New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2003
    First, why don't you patch the tube instead of replace it? Judging from your description of flat, the tube couod be patched and the tire may only require a small boot (glued in) to insure that the casing break doesn't expand.

    Both your mountain and road clipless pedals have float. Sometimes it's adjustable, sometimes not. Are they SPD, SPD-R or SPD-SL? Regardless, tightening the binding force doesn't eliminate the float, it simply makes entry and exit harder.

    SPD-sl has no adjustable float, I don't know if SPD or SPD-R do or not.

    I hope that helps

  3. Jeff wrote:
    > First bike, had it for a while and I got my first flat today. I have a pair of Bontrager tires
    > both front and back and after going over the tire in the garage I caught a fairly obvious piece of
    > glass embedded into the tire. Picture a piece of glass, about the size of a watermelon seed, about
    > 4-5 mm square, wedge shaped. I worked it out of the tire, and resigned myself to going by the bike
    > store to replace the tube.
    >
    > My first question is, do I need to replace the tire too? I mean, it was, like I said, about the
    > size of a watermelon seed, and after working it out of the tire, there's definitely a "spot"
    > there. But once you put a new tube in, is it an issue? I'm not *that* strapped, so a new tire
    > isn't out of the question, just a pain in the wallet. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but
    > this is my first "nice" bike and I honestly dunno how these things behave at higher speeds on
    > roads filled to the max...
    >
    > Second. I was riding today to test out some new cleats, and I liked them, I just wish they were
    > more...I dunno..."snug"? It just seems kinda like they 'float' a little in the pedal. They're
    > SPDs, Shimano, and I was wondering if it was as easy as turning the allen bolt on the leading edge
    > of the pedal, and if so, do I rotate it and tighten the other one the same amount? And what's the
    > best way to determine how tight you're going, just hop on and keep pedaling around a little after
    > you tighten it a little until it's as "snug" in the pedal as you're comfortable with? Is it even
    > *supposed* to be "snug"? I don't personally like it when the pedal moves around a lot, it makes me
    > feel like my cleats are all lose. I like to clip into them and be tight. At least that was my
    > experience on my mountain bike, and it felt really nice and secure. Is this what I'm after? Just a
    > little tightening of that allen bolt?
    >
    > Thanks, like I said, sounds kinda silly, but this is my first Road bike, and I wanna make sure I'm
    > doing the right thing...

    It's not the pedal, but the cleat. Shimano sells an SPD cleat that has no float, one with a little
    horizontal float and one that floats all over the place. I like the one with a little horizontal
    float. I believe it's called SH-51, but I'm not certain. Your LBS will be sure to know.
    --
    Perre

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote
    > It's not the pedal, but the cleat. Shimano sells an SPD cleat that has no float, one with a little
    > horizontal float and one that floats all over the place. I like the one with a little horizontal
    > float. I believe it's called SH-51, but I'm not certain. Your
    LBS
    > will be sure to know.
    > --
    > Perre

    Hmmm, I tried looking online every place I could think of, and couldn't find any information about
    *which* cleat is which. I was hoping to be armed with at least a little knowledge before I went to
    my LBS, but no luck. Hopefully he'll know what I'm talking about.

  5. Jeff wrote:
    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> It's not the pedal, but the cleat. Shimano sells an SPD cleat that has no float, one with a
    >> little horizontal float and one that floats all over the place. I like the one with a
    >> little horizontal float. I believe it's called SH-51, but I'm not certain. Your LBS will be
    >> sure to know.
    >> --
    >> Perre
    >
    > Hmmm, I tried looking online every place I could think of, and couldn't find any information about
    > *which* cleat is which. I was hoping to be armed with at least a little knowledge before I went to
    > my LBS, but no luck. Hopefully he'll know what I'm talking about.

    Well at least you should be able to read on your cleats what kind you have. If you have good eyes
    and some good light.

    I think 50 is the no float cleat. 51 is a little horizontal float and 55 is the floating all over
    the place cleat. Correct me somebody if I'm wrong. This is of course if you have SPD cleats and not
    SPD-R or SL

    --
    Perre

  6. From your description of the glass shard, it's probably safe to assume a few of the tire's cords
    were sliced as well as the tube. I would buy a new tire, but try the new tube in the old one any
    ways. If the spot where the glass cut "opens up", or the tire bulges slightly in that area, dump it.

    If not, you san still use it as an emergency replacement tire if something happens to one of your
    other ones.

    As for the cleat, most (all?) Shimano SPD cleats have some float. You can tighten the bolts until
    they strip and this will not go away. The float is between the cleat and the pedal and it is
    designed to do that so cyclists whose feet do not stay in the same direction as they pedal don't
    strain their knees.

  7. [email protected] (Per=A0Elms=E4ter) Wrote:

    >Shimano sells an SPD cleat that has no float

    What model has no float? Does it come with dual entry (forward or backwards)?

    >I'm not as smart as a robot! ;-3)

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:11:50 -0400 (EDT), [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

    >What model has no float? Does it come with dual entry (forward or backwards)?

    Model 50 has no float. I don't even know where to get them anymore.

  9. Stu

    Stu Guest