A couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Asqui, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Asqui

    Asqui Guest

    Question One:

    I understand that team cars follow the racers closely with the Director Sportif, among others,
    inside. Presumably the team uses identical bikes which are all geared congruently for a given stage
    of the tour, however individual riders must still have unique settings for bike adjustments -- the
    most important I can think of would be seat height. Since the team car cannot carry replacement
    bikes for every team member how do they deal with technical troubles? Is there a more comprehensive
    van trailing a little further behind with the full stock of backup bikes and other spares?

    I have read that if the Team Leader should suffer catastrophic mechanical failure a Domestique will
    surrender his bike to allow the Team Leader to continue -- presumably this is quicker than waiting
    for the team car to dispense a backup bike. This again presents the problem of bike adjustments; if
    the Team Leader has to ride a couple of hundred miles with a seat adjustment that is even slightly
    off, I expect this would cause some problems.

    How does the crew deal with such scenarios?

    Question Two:

    Presumably the best position in the peloton would be a couple of rows back from the front so that
    you get the full aerodynamic advantage of the riders in front, and are still close enough to pop out
    of the front when the time comes. Riding at the very front seems like a sucicde mission because you
    are burning youreslf out for the benefit of those behind you.

    So why would anybody want to lead the peloton?

    Question Three: Have there ever been any female participants in the tour, and why are there so
    few (if any)?

    Thanks in advance, Dani

    Tags:

  2. "asqui" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Question One:
    >
    > I understand that team cars follow the racers closely with the Director Sportif, among others,
    > inside. Presumably the team uses identical bikes which are all geared congruently for a given
    > stage of the tour, however individual riders must still have unique settings for bike
    > adjustments -- the most important I can think of would be seat height. Since the team car cannot
    > carry replacement bikes for every team member how do they deal with technical troubles? Is there
    > a more comprehensive van trailing a little further behind with the full stock of backup bikes
    > and other spares?
    >
    > I have read that if the Team Leader should suffer catastrophic mechanical failure a Domestique
    > will surrender his bike to allow the Team Leader to continue -- presumably this is quicker than
    > waiting for the team car to dispense a backup bike. This again presents the problem of bike
    > adjustments; if the Team Leader has to ride a couple of hundred miles with a seat adjustment that
    > is even slightly off, I expect this would cause some problems.
    >
    > How does the crew deal with such scenarios?

    Every team leader has a back-up bike on the team car. If the team leader has a problem with his
    bike, one of his domestiques (who is almost his size) will give the leader his bike. Then, the
    domestique will wait to get the leaders replacement bike. They will then switch if and when it is
    convenient.

    > Question Two:
    >
    > Presumably the best position in the peloton would be a couple of rows back from the front so that
    > you get the full aerodynamic advantage of the riders in front, and are still close enough to pop
    > out of the front when the time comes. Riding at the very front seems like a sucicde mission
    > because you are burning youreslf out for the benefit of those behind you.
    >
    > So why would anybody want to lead the peloton?

    Because thats the job they are paid to do.

    > Question Three: Have there ever been any female participants in the tour, and why are there so few
    > (if any)?

    Not that I know of; its too fast.

    > Thanks in advance, Dani

    You're welcome

  3. asqui wrote:

    > Question Three: Have there ever been any female participants in the tour, and why are there so few
    > (if any)?

    i don't know about past history, but at the present moment in order to be in the tdf, you have to be
    on a team that is invited or guaranteed entry.

    hypothetically, if a woman was good enough to ride for a team that was good enough to get into the
    tour, i would think that she would be quite talented at women's stage racing. riding on a men's
    team, she would get publicity, but how many races would she win? so even if such a chick did exist
    (and i'm not sure one has), my guess is that she would prefer be on a women's team and race in
    women's races. i may be way off base here, but that's my view of it.

  4. "asqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Question One:
    >
    > I understand that team cars follow the racers closely with the Director Sportif, among others,
    > inside. Presumably the team uses identical bikes which are all geared congruently for a given
    > stage of the tour, however individual riders must still have unique settings for bike adjustments
    > -- the most important I can think of would be seat height.

    All riders in a team use the same seat height. That way if a team leader has a mishap, the support
    riders can give him their bike (like Rubeira did with LANCE the other day).

    So, when the directors sign riders, they all have to be similarly sized.

    It is a very complex business, this professional cycling.

    you're welcome,

    K. Gringioni

  5. G

    G Guest

    Chicks' performance is on par with 14 yearold boys. Why do you reckon they could make a Tour team??

    GK

    asqui <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Question Three: Have there ever been any female participants in the tour, and why are there so few
    > (if any)?

  6. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:21:03 +0000, asqui wrote:

    > Have there ever been any female participants in the tour, and why are there so few (if any)?

    Dani:

    There have not been any women participants in the Major Bike Races like the Tours of Italy, France
    and Spain.

    But France and Italy have their own womens' Tours.

    The Tour of Italy, known variously as the Giro Rosa, Giro Donne or by its official name, Giro
    d'Italia Femminile is on right now.

    Here are some URLs you might like to visit:

    http://www.laborraccia.it (more pix than the other sites)

    http://www.bikenews.it/2003/giro-donne/giro.html

    http://www.girorosa.it/html/gli_sponsor.html

    The Womens' Tour de France, known I believe as Grand Boucle Feminine, will start about a couple of
    weeks after the Mens' event wraps up.

  7. Asqui

    Asqui Guest

    "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1fxt3sg.rdp5kf91d9x8N%[email protected]>...
    > Chicks' performance is on par with 14 yearold boys. Why do you reckon they could make a Tour
    > team?? GK

    I figured there would be at least some hardcore women up to the standard.

    On par with 14 yearold boys? Cripes, that's pretty impressive/unimpressive.

    Dani

    > asqui <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Question Three: Have there ever been any female participants in the tour, and why are there so
    > > few (if

  8. G

    G Guest

    asqui <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1fxt3sg.rdp5kf91d9x8N%[email protected]>...
    > > Chicks' performance is on par with 14 yearold boys. Why do you reckon they could make a Tour
    > > team?? GK
    >
    > I figured there would be at least some hardcore women up to the standard.

    No. Do they mix track and field? Womens world records are on par with under 15's, 10.8 sec of 100m,
    7.20m long jump etc, the whole list pretty close actually..

    > On par with 14 yearold boys? Cripes, that's pretty impressive/unimpressive.
    >
    > Dani

    Some under 15's who can hit 65km/h in a sprint, go close to hour in 40km TT etc. I'm talking apples
    to apples here. The best kid in the world against the best woman in the world or state champion vs
    state champion etc.

  9. asqui wrote:
    > Question One:

    There are usually several cars per team, each capable of supporting the leader, and otherwise
    dividing up the other riders between them. Together they are capable of carrying at least one spare
    bike per team member. What is more interesting is the Mavic neutral support bikes! Better be using
    Look or SPD-style cleats!

    The leader will only take a team members bike during certain critical times in a race/stage, such
    as within 10km of the finish when there is no room left to make up a deficit. So small differences
    in bike setup will hinder the leader's time less than hanging around waiting for the team car to
    wade through the "yard-sale". Sometimes domestiques will have quick-releases or an alankey for the
    seat post.

    > Question Two:
    >
    > Presumably the best position in the peloton would be a couple of rows back from the front so that
    > you get the full aerodynamic advantage of the riders in front, and are still close enough to pop
    > out of the front when the time comes. Riding at the very front seems like a sucicde mission
    > because you are burning youreslf out for the benefit of those behind you.
    >
    > So why would anybody want to lead the peloton?

    uh, because everyone can't be a couple of rows back. Typically the riders at the front are the
    domestiques of the team that stands the most to lose by the breakaway succeeding (i.e. the
    sprinters' team, the GC leader who is about the lose the yellow jersey to someone in the
    breakaway, etc...)

    > Question Three: Have there ever been any female participants in the tour,

    no.

    > and why are there so few (if any)?

    there are lots of female cyclists, they have their own Tour de France Feminin. Canadian women in
    particular seem to kick butt...

    --
    Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

  10. Asqui

    Asqui Guest

    > What is more interesting is the Mavic neutral support bikes!

    > Better be using Look or SPD-style cleats!

    What are the Mavic neutral support bikes? Are you referring to motorbikes with guys that walk around
    carrying four spare front wheels to dispense to riders following a crash? (Or am I mistaken and
    those guys were actually part of the the team's support crew?)

    Or are you referring to replacement push bikes? (The cleats comment makes me think that.)

    Dani

  11. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:34:56 +0000, asqui wrote:

    > What are the Mavic neutral support bikes? Are you referring to motorbikes with guys that walk
    > around carrying four spare front wheels to dispense to riders following a crash? (Or am I mistaken
    > and those guys were actually part of the the team's support crew?)
    >
    > Or are you referring to replacement push bikes? (The cleats comment makes me think that.)

    On the presumption that you really want to know and are not just trolling or trying to stir the pot
    with the proverbial wooden spoon as I have been known to do from time to time, Dani:

    The support, or service is rendered when a rider cannot for some reason get support from his own
    team mechanic.

    The level of support goes all the way from minor adjustments to the provision of a ~loaner~ push
    bike or bicycle.

    It is a very valuable service and I have used it once myself to replace a broken derailleur cable in
    a UFOLEP event.

    It sure saved the day for me, allowing me to get a reasonable finish in a moderately hilly event
    (Le Chevreuil [Doe - like in Deer], now called le Jacques Anquetil) where I would have otherwise
    have had to complete the course with only two gears - a single rear cog and the two clangers or
    chain rings.

  12. Dominic Richens wrote:

    >asqui wrote:
    >

    >>Question One:
    >>

    >There are usually several cars per team, each capable of supporting the leader, and otherwise
    >dividing up the other riders between them. Together they are capable of carrying at least one spare
    >bike per team member. What is more interesting is the Mavic neutral support bikes! Better be using
    >Look or SPD-style cleats!
    >
    >The leader will only take a team members bike during certain critical times in a race/stage, such
    >as within 10km of the finish when there is no room left to make up a deficit. So small differences
    >in bike setup will hinder the leader's time less than hanging around waiting for the team car to
    >wade through the "yard-sale". Sometimes domestiques will have quick-releases or an alankey for the
    >seat post.
    >

    >>Question Two:
    >>
    >>Presumably the best position in the peloton would be a couple of rows back from the front so that
    >>you get the full aerodynamic advantage of the riders in front, and are still close enough to pop
    >>out of the front when the time comes. Riding at the very front seems like a sucicde mission
    >>because you are burning youreslf out for the benefit of those behind you.
    >>
    >>So why would anybody want to lead the peloton?
    >>

    >uh, because everyone can't be a couple of rows back. Typically the riders at the front are the
    >domestiques of the team that stands the most to lose by the breakaway succeeding (i.e. the
    >sprinters' team, the GC leader who is about the lose the yellow jersey to someone in the
    >breakaway, etc...)
    >

    >>Question Three: Have there ever been any female participants in the tour,
    >>

    >no.
    >

    >>and why are there so few (if any)?
    >>

    >there are lots of female cyclists, they have their own Tour de France Feminin. Canadian women in
    >particular seem to kick butt...
    >
    >--
    >Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying
    >attention!"

    It'officially called La Grande Boucle FĂ©minine Internationale below a link to a French page where
    you find al stages and roadmap for 2003.

    http://www.velo-feminin.com/guide.php3?id_rubrique=80

    Peter.* *

  13. "asqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > What is more interesting is the Mavic neutral support bikes!
    >
    > > Better be using Look or SPD-style cleats!
    >
    > What are the Mavic neutral support bikes? Are you referring to motorbikes with guys that walk
    > around carrying four spare front wheels to dispense to riders following a crash? (Or am I mistaken
    > and those guys were actually part of the the team's support crew?)
    >
    > Or are you referring to replacement push bikes? (The cleats comment makes
    me
    > think that.)
    >
    > Dani

    The Mavic loaner bikes are Cannondales. They have flat pedals with straps so that they can be used
    by any rider, regardless of cleats. Typically, they are only used until the team car can catch up
    and switch out with a team bike.

    -T