a couple of questions...

~MoDCoN~

Apr 18, 2003
just wondering if anyone else here with shimano 10 speed is running a connex chain link, similar to the poewrlink for campy chains... if so, how does it hold up? i've been riding a bit since may, and want to make sure im taking good care of the rig, so wanted the link to remove the chain and clean/lube it ocasionally. this brings me to point two - any particularly favoured lubricants?

i've been washing the bike after these horrible wet, gritty rides where the bike gets caked with a hose and then car wash (was into cleaning cars when we didn't have water restrictions) and it comes up beautifully.

on a slightly different note, there are a few of us at melb uni who are thinking bout trying a bit a racing over summer (holidays and not so cold!) and are looking for a few pointers as to where to begin. the melb uni team isn't official as such, ie we don't have racing licences etc... any help would be greatfully received!

and lastly, had my first puncture today. not sure why it took so long, but it was the first time i headed out without checking tyre pressures, which made it more comfy (did them yesterday) but finally got bunged, back tyre too - right near flinders st this morn. least i wasn't far away from civilisation! had it repaired in a few mins, much easier than it seemed on the old mtb, as long as i didn't mind ending up with greasey fingers!

cheers

MoD

re: the chain:

I use a SRAM powerlink on a SRAM chain on my MTB on the trails around Manly Dam. I'm with you in that I think leavnig the chain on the bike and using one of those cleaning machines doesn't really do the job.

Some of the ascents around MD are quite steep and rocky/technical, and the link chain stands up fine. I know it's not a 10-speed rear end, but on the other hand the peak stresses off-road are a lot higher.

I think you'll be fine.

j.r.hawkins said:
re: the chain:

I use a SRAM powerlink on a SRAM chain on my MTB on the trails around Manly Dam. I'm with you in that I think leavnig the chain on the bike and using one of those cleaning machines doesn't really do the job.

Some of the ascents around MD are quite steep and rocky/technical, and the link chain stands up fine. I know it's not a 10-speed rear end, but on the other hand the peak stresses off-road are a lot higher.

I think you'll be fine.

Sounds like i'll do it then. There seems to be a lot more info on the powerlink for campy chains, maybe shimano users don't like cleaning chains? I've just noticed my bike comes back quite filthy after a slog out on the roads round melbourne, esp. beach rd after it has rained/is still showering.

~MoDCoN~ said:
Sounds like i'll do it then. There seems to be a lot more info on the powerlink for campy chains, maybe shimano users don't like cleaning chains? I've just noticed my bike comes back quite filthy after a slog out on the roads round melbourne, esp. beach rd after it has rained/is still showering.
Just make sure that it's the one for Shimano chains. I tried fitting a SRAM one to a Shimano chain but found the Shimano chain was just a couple of thousandths of an inch too thick. Depending on the brand of powerlink, there can be an inside and an outside. If it has a hump (Wipperman connex?) this goes to the outside on the chainwheel.

~MoDCoN~ said:
I'd be wary of compatability. The Campag 10sp chains are 6.2mm wide, while Shimano specs are about 6.05-6.1 (or thereabouts).

Connex make a Shimano specific 10s reusable connector, so I would go for that if I was going to go down that route.

FWIW, I still use the SRAM 9sp Powerlinks on shimano chains. I don't see the need for an extra gear at this point at the expense of a theoretical durability decrease.

n

I think the SRAM link is a once off affair, the Wipperman connex link is the one you can reuse time and time again. As the previous poster mentioned you need to have the Wippermann connex installed correctly, otherwise you get chain skip. The shallow curve needs to closest to the cogs with the hump on the outside.
IMG_6414.jpg

On the lube front I'm using White Lightening Epic lube, lube the chain then wipe clean with a rag and then lube it again. The Epic actually cleans the chain. I do this quickly after every ride and the drive train couldn't be cleaner and the Wipperman stainless steel chain looks like new with absolutely no grit or build-up.

kleng said:
I think the SRAM link is a once off affair, the Wipperman connex link is the one you can reuse time and time again. As the previous poster mentioned you need to have the Wippermann connex installed correctly, otherwise you get chain skip. The shallow curve needs to closest to the cogs with the hump on the outside.
IMG_6414.jpg

On the lube front I'm using White Lightening Epic lube, lube the chain then wipe clean with a rag and then lube it again. The Epic actually cleans the chain. I do this quickly after every ride and the drive train couldn't be cleaner and the Wipperman stainless steel chain looks like new with absolutely no grit or build-up.

mate that looks fantastic! much cleaner than mine! and my LBS sells both of those- yes its a whipperman connex one for 10sp(what the bike came with...), they'll do the install cos i dont have a chain breaker atm (now won't need one!) and am studying too much!