A cras-prone Tour?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob in CT, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    I don't remember this many crashes during last year's (or previous)
    races. Am I just remembering wrong, or are there really more crashes this
    year than last year (obviously, several of the crashes last year were bad,
    taking out some of the major contenders)?

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    Tags:

  2. "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I don't remember this many crashes during last year's (or previous)
    > races. Am I just remembering wrong, or are there really more crashes this
    > year than last year (obviously, several of the crashes last year were bad,
    > taking out some of the major contenders)?

    Remember when they were blaming all the crashes on Spinaci bars?

  3. vern

    vern Guest

    there's always crashes....just more it seems this year caught on
    camera....and they say timing is everything

    "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > I don't remember this many crashes during last year's (or previous)
    > races. Am I just remembering wrong, or are there really more crashes this
    > year than last year (obviously, several of the crashes last year were bad,
    > taking out some of the major contenders)?
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT
    > Remove ".x" to reply

  4. David Off

    David Off Guest

    vern wrote:

    > there's always crashes....just more it seems this year caught on
    > camera....and they say timing is everything

    It is much wetter and windier this year than last, so more crashes.

  5. Steven

    Steven Guest

    "vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > there's always crashes....just more it seems this year caught on
    > camera....and they say timing is everything
    >
    > "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > > I don't remember this many crashes during last year's (or previous)
    > > races. Am I just remembering wrong, or are there really more crashes this
    > > year than last year (obviously, several of the crashes last year were bad,
    > > taking out some of the major contenders)?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bob in CT
    > > Remove ".x" to reply

    RAIN!

  6. "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > I don't remember this many crashes during last year's (or previous)
    > races. Am I just remembering wrong, or are there really more crashes this
    > year than last year (obviously, several of the crashes last year were bad,
    > taking out some of the major contenders)?
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT
    > Remove ".x" to reply

    I think it's a combination of (a) More teams trying to contest the sprints
    (even if they have no business being there), (b) More GC contenders and
    their teams fighting for position to avoid splits/crashes in the peloton
    (everyone wants to be up front) and (c) wet roads, cobbles, tight turns,
    etc.

    -T