A cure that's worse than the disease

On Jun 5, 6:48 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:

> If it is possible for a fat old guy with
> gray hair to score a medal at US track natz then it is possible for
> the kids in your club to do so at Canadian track natz.

So you're admitting you doped?

On Jun 5, 2:38 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> But I dislike doping in cycling for the same reason I dislike
> bear-baiting: it's not seemly for our entertainment to cross such lines,
> in this case of becoming a sport where one flirts with death in ways
> that have nothing to do with the nature of the sport.

Then regulate safety, not doping (this is consistent with my position
that bike safety should be regulated, not bike weight). An example is
the hematocrit standard. You have to sit down if your HCT is unusually
high, no matter how it got there.

[NASCAR safety argument snipped]

So you agree that safety should be the focus, not doping. Here's a
question for you: if HCT limits are in place, what's the safety
argument against autologous blood transfusions?

> But again, I look to the children

What is this thing you have about looking at children? Brrrr.

As I've said, my plan only works if people think doping in sports is
important and it's not. But if you were somehow misguided enough to
think it was, you've got to create enough incentive on the riders and
the teams to do this. Existing mechanisms don't appear to do this
well, so you need a different mechanism.

So, everyone from the same team pees into the same cup. Mix it up,
test the team pee. You don't care about individual pee. If the team
pee shows abnormalities, penalize every rider on the team some number
of seconds on the next stage or the next race. Repeated offenses
increase the penalties. You can get creative about when to apply the
time penalty. Under the red kite might work.

On Jun 5, 4:10 pm, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> In article <[email protected]>,
> > And even if you could regulate the doctors (we'll get Fuentes and
> > Ferrari to head up the seminar on medical ethics), there's always the
> > possibility the riders would self-medicate beyond the limits prescribed
> > by the doctors.

> FWIW, that isn't even close to what medical doctors already have permitted
> in organized sports. You can see 50 y.o athletes that hobble around like
> octogenarians that are the results of physicians signing off on drug
> regimens in U.S. football. So evidently the course has already been written
> and we can use outside doctors to conduct it when we need it in cycling.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Then there's all the repeat concussion news. All those players were
cleared, by doctors, to continue playing in that game, or future
games. Noone really wants to talk about the fact that the doctors
existed almost solely to keep players on the field a6t almost any cost
to the player. Pop the painkillers, shoot the injury up, sign off on
it.
Not good stuff and most teams had a policy against players seeing any
other doctor without prior team approval. Baseball is almost as bad,
but the players there use a little more sense.
Bill C

> In article <[email protected]>,

> And even if you could regulate the doctors (we'll get Fuentes and
> Ferrari to head up the seminar on medical ethics), there's always the
> possibility the riders would self-medicate beyond the limits prescribed
> by the doctors.

FWIW, that isn't even close to what medical doctors already have permitted
in organized sports. You can see 50 y.o athletes that hobble around like
octogenarians that are the results of physicians signing off on drug
regimens in U.S. football. So evidently the course has already been written
and we can use outside doctors to conduct it when we need it in cycling.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:10:16 -0500, "Curtis L. Russell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,

>> And even if you could regulate the doctors (we'll get Fuentes and
>> Ferrari to head up the seminar on medical ethics), there's always the
>> possibility the riders would self-medicate beyond the limits prescribed
>> by the doctors.

>FWIW, that isn't even close to what medical doctors already have permitted
>in organized sports. You can see 50 y.o athletes that hobble around like
>octogenarians that are the results of physicians signing off on drug
>regimens in U.S. football. So evidently the course has already been written
>and we can use outside doctors to conduct it when we need it in cycling.

Unfortunately, no drugs are needed to batter a young man enough for that to
happen. But I do take your point. Team doctors exist to keep guys going not keep
them off the field.

Ron

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You also seem to think there is no possibility for meaningful success
> in the sport without dope.

This is Bob's most important point - the fact is that MOST successful
amatuers DO NOT use dope. The only reason that so many pros use it is
because they've become convinced that they have to use it in order to
maintain competitiveness.

> On Jun 5, 2:38 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > But I dislike doping in cycling for the same reason I dislike
> > bear-baiting: it's not seemly for our entertainment to cross such lines,
> > in this case of becoming a sport where one flirts with death in ways
> > that have nothing to do with the nature of the sport.

> Then regulate safety, not doping (this is consistent with my position
> that bike safety should be regulated, not bike weight). An example is
> the hematocrit standard. You have to sit down if your HCT is unusually
> high, no matter how it got there.

There's merit to this idea, but then you get forced into the corner of
potentially being forced to prove things are unsafe before you ban them.
Tom's probably right that the long-term perils of EPO aren't that bad,
but it will be a while before we really know.

> [NASCAR safety argument snipped]
>
> So you agree that safety should be the focus, not doping. Here's a
> question for you: if HCT limits are in place, what's the safety
> argument against autologous blood transfusions?

The greatest merit of this argument is that it forces me to say things
like "but autologous blood transfusions are just creepy!" And indeed,
that's the gist of the current argument against. Then we have treatments
like laser eye surgery, which in its most baroque current forms is
performance-enhancing in a great many sports (possibly including
cycling, but I suspect the advantage would be hard to measure)

> > But again, I look to the children

> What is this thing you have about looking at children? Brrrr.

"To," not "at." You're out of practice with this English thing, Chung.
But really, there's so many great jokes I could put here (eg, "I don't
look at them, I just wait until they turn 18 and then send them
flirtatious text messages,") but they would all be very creepy and
unseemly, and ruin my future political aspirations. Couldn't have that.

> As I've said, my plan only works if people think doping in sports is
> important and it's not. But if you were somehow misguided enough to
> think it was, you've got to create enough incentive on the riders and
> the teams to do this. Existing mechanisms don't appear to do this
> well, so you need a different mechanism.
>
> So, everyone from the same team pees into the same cup. Mix it up,
> test the team pee. You don't care about individual pee. If the team
> pee shows abnormalities, penalize every rider on the team some number
> of seconds on the next stage or the next race. Repeated offenses
> increase the penalties. You can get creative about when to apply the
> time penalty. Under the red kite might work.

Collective punishment! It makes each team responsible for the actions of
their least competent doper! Nice.

Being utterly non-sarcastic, I think this is a great idea. I think the
creation of a clean culture in cycling could easily begin at the team
level, since the teams have an incentive to sell themselves as clean to
sponsors. Already, I think there have been some real attempts to create
clean teams, though the problem is that if you really want to create a
clean-team, you likely spend a few years looking really dirty, since you
keep finding and purging your dirty riders! Meanwhile, the more
permissive teams look oh so clean...

And that's the time of negative incentive that it would be nice to
remove from the sport. I have a natural sense (as you do, by your
excellent game-theory-influenced idea) that slight changes to the
inherent incentives of pro cycling could cause big changes in the amount
of doping in the sport and the sense that it is a social norm.

Heck, this is already a sport that has well-codified social norms about
working in breaks and opportunistic attacks! I think it might manage to
incorporate a truce on drugs.

I'll fall back on a tertiary argument besides "think of the children"
and "think of the health of the racers," and that's "think of the large
corporations."

They, after all, are the sponsors of cycling, except when they stay away
because they don't want to have a drug scandal named after their company
(was the Festina incident a net benefit because of the name recognition,
or a net detriment because of the implicit association with doping?)

Cycling is arguably an under-sponsored sport, considering its inherent
attractiveness and its large audience in Europe. This may not matter to
us fans, but it should matter to the teams, the organizers, and even the
racers, whose salaries are so dependent on sponsorship levels.

I suspect this even affects the quality of competition to a certain
extent: if you were a triple-threat athlete, would you go into football,
football, or cycling?

Heck, we'd probably get better riders with more and deeper sponsorship.

On Jun 7, 4:19 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> And that's the time of negative incentive that it would be nice to
> remove from the sport.

Dumbass, the negative incentive period only applies if a team is truly
clueless about which of their riders are doping. Yeah, right. The
current system allows team officials to put pressure on riders to
perform while simultaneously saying they know nothing about riders
doping. I don't think that's been working real well. Testing team
urine increases the probability of being caught, and a team-wide time
penalty gives an incentive not to select doping riders for the next
race. The other teams won't be able to whine as much that a doper won--
they'll always whine, just not as much--because the penalty is focused
exactly on equalizing the performance enhancing effect that doping is
supposed to give. Right now, doping riders get tossed but everyone is
suspicious that the tossing is incomplete--keep the riders in but
penalize them on time. The clean riders on a penalized team will gang
up to put pressure on the dopers who are causing them to bear time
penalties. If you instituted team urine testing next week, how long do
you think the "negative incentive period" would last?

This approach isn't a panacea, there are lots of practical holes that
would need to be patched, but it realigns the incentives in the right
way. Well, they'd need to be patched if you think doping control is
important--but it's not.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:47:12 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> if you think doping control is important--but it's not.

It is inevatible, Mr. Anderson.

--
E. Dronkert

On Jun 7, 3:01 am, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:47:12 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > if you think doping control is important--but it's not.

> It is inevatible, Mr. Anderson.

It seems that you've been living two lives.
One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.

RicodJour wrote:
> It seems that you've been living two lives.
> One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.

He's a Dutch cat.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 7, 9:01 am, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:47:12 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>> > if you think doping control is important--but it's not.

>> It is inevatible, Mr. Anderson.

> There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

You lose obvious points for leaving off the 'Grasshopper'. And get them back
if you can display cool burn scars on your forearms.

--
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 7, 4:19 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> And that's the time of negative incentive that it would be nice to
>> remove from the sport.

> Dumbass, the negative incentive period only applies if a team is truly
> clueless about which of their riders are doping. Yeah, right. The
> current system allows team officials to put pressure on riders to
> perform while simultaneously saying they know nothing about riders
> doping. I don't think that's been working real well. Testing team
> urine increases the probability of being caught, and a team-wide time
> penalty gives an incentive not to select doping riders for the next
> race. The other teams won't be able to whine as much that a doper won--
> they'll always whine, just not as much--because the penalty is focused
> exactly on equalizing the performance enhancing effect that doping is
> supposed to give. Right now, doping riders get tossed but everyone is
> suspicious that the tossing is incomplete--keep the riders in but
> penalize them on time. The clean riders on a penalized team will gang
> up to put pressure on the dopers who are causing them to bear time
> penalties. If you instituted team urine testing next week, how long do
> you think the "negative incentive period" would last?
>
> This approach isn't a panacea, there are lots of practical holes that
> would need to be patched, but it realigns the incentives in the right
> way. Well, they'd need to be patched if you think doping control is
> important--but it's not.

Actually that's the best suggestion I've heard. Make the entire team suffer
if one is caught cheating. That would certainly have the desired effect if
there wasn't some way around it.