A Cycle Helmet saved this lady's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve R. wrote:
> I know there's still some doubters amongst you, but this is one item of evidence that finally
> ought to convince you that a cycle helmet definitely saved this lady's life.
>
> Report and quick-loading image at ... http://freespace.virgin.net/temp.files/helmet.htm
>
> Steve.

You forgot to add the tongue in cheek emoticon to your post

Tony

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I know there's still some doubters amongst you, but this is one item of evidence that finally

There are plenty of tedious helmet threads full of polemic, anecdotes and urban myths; you could
have posted this to one of them. There was no need to start yet another tedious helmet thread.

Juliette, with apologies if you really did forget to add the tongue in cheek emoticon
--
nowt

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:54:50 GMT, in
<[email protected]>, "Steve R."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I know there's still some doubters amongst you, but this is one item of evidence that finally ought
>to convince you that a cycle helmet definitely saved this lady's life.
>
>Report and quick-loading image at ... http://freespace.virgin.net/temp.files/helmet.htm

Maybe it's because it fell off on impact - those straps look very badly adjusted to me (unless her
ears are under her chin).

Rich x

--
Due to a typing error on the Children's Hospital menu Saturday evening now offers "Beef burger in a
bum". Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

"Steve R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know there's still some doubters amongst you, but this is one item of
evidence that
> finally ought to convince you that a cycle helmet definitely saved this
lady's life.
>
> Report and quick-loading image at ... http://freespace.virgin.net/temp.files/helmet.htm

Dear oh dear. I won't argue against wearing them ( I do nearly all the time) but before being able
to state it saved her life you would have to prove she would have died without it.

Pete

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Steve R. wrote:
> > I know there's still some doubters amongst you, but this is one item of evidence that finally
> > ought to convince you that a cycle helmet
definitely
> > saved this lady's life.
> >
> > Report and quick-loading image at ... http://freespace.virgin.net/temp.files/helmet.htm
> >
> > Steve.
>
> You forgot to add the tongue in cheek emoticon to your post
>
> Tony
>
>

I hope it was done in a sarcastic manner. Otherwise I'm going to buy a big f'ing lorry and see
whether his helmet saves him from my experiment.

Juliette wrote in message ...
> There are plenty of tedious helmet threads.

They only become *threads* if people find them interesting and reply to the very first post, so by
definition they can't be tedious.

If they weren't interesting nobody would reply :~)

I love my cycle-helmet even though it's been bashed about a bit. I suppose I really ought to change
it as it's seven years old now.

Steve.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:20:40 +0000 (UTC), in
<[email protected]>, "Peter B"

>
>"Steve R." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:uEXEb.1746$nA6.16640042@news-
>text.cableinet.net...
>> I know there's still some doubters amongst you, but this is one item of
>evidence that
>> finally ought to convince you that a cycle helmet definitely saved this
>lady's life.
>>
>> Report and quick-loading image at ... http://freespace.virgin.net/temp.files/helmet.htm
>
>Dear oh dear. I won't argue against wearing them ( I do nearly all the time) but before being able
>to state it saved her life you would have to prove she would have died without it.

It was yellow and therefore more visible to the cars behind which were now available to avoid
running her over.

It therefore MUST have saved her life ;-)

--
Due to a typing error on the Children's Hospital menu Saturday evening now offers "Beef burger in a
bum". Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Dear oh dear. I won't argue against wearing them ( I do nearly all the time) but before being able
> to state it saved her life you would have to prove she would
have
> died without it.
>

Well as someone who knows what it feels like to hit the ground unconscious after a collision, I can
categorically say a helmet would have saved my life, if I had been wearing one ;o)

"Steve R." <[email protected]> writes:

>

Look, this is silly (yes, I know I'm going to be shot down by my better half for even posting to
this thread).

This person fell off in a one vehicle accident while negotiating a right hand junction on urban
roads. In other words, she was cycling at relatively low speed. She hit the road, not another
moving vehicle, and she wasn't thrown forcefully onto the road, she just fell. People do not die in
such accidents. People do not even get concussion in such accidents. People get minor cuts, grazes
and scrapes. Yes, the bike helmet was destroyed. It was destroyed because they are not very strong.
Yes, it probably did save her from a minor bruise on her temple. It did not save her life and it
didn't even save her from serious injury, because she wasn't in any danger of serious injury in the
first place.

I've fallen off onto tarmac twice in my life, both on sharp bends on steep downhills when I was
going fast. On one occasion, I needed a couple of stitches in the ball of my thumb because I fell on
broken glass. In the other, at much higher speed (about 35 mph), I was completely uninjured. I've
also fallen off onto rocky or gravel surfaces when mountain biking far more times than I can
possibly remember - certainly hundreds. The worst injury I've ever had was a grazed knee. Needless
to say I wasn't wearing a helmet on any of these occasions.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

to err is human, to lisp divine ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Simon Brooke wrote in message ...
> People do not die in such accidents. People do not even get concussion in such accidents.

Yes they do and I can give you an example, and I bet there are plenty of others.

A couple of years ago a teenage kid in Bristol fell off his bike at low speed, his head hit the kerb
and he died of a brain haemorrhage shortly afterwards. :~(

No other injuries than the head injury. Had *he* have been wearing a helmet, he would certainly have
got up and walked away.

Steve :~(

> People do not even get concussion in such accidents. People get minor cuts, grazes and scrapes.
> Yes, the bike helmet was destroyed. It was destroyed because they are not very strong. Yes, it
> probably did save her from a minor bruise on her temple. It did not save her life and it didn't
> even save her from serious injury, because she wasn't in any danger of serious injury in the
> first place.

Yep - they do. It all depends on how you headbutt the ground. I did it quite well on the way to a
History GCSE exam. Was ok until about 30 minutes after when the effects of the concussion came on -
horrible nausea, completely white face etc. Ended up going into the exam half an hour late and
having a little note attached to it by one of the teachers explaining why my answers may not make
sense. Ended up getting higher thn my predicted grades tho so:

Concussion improves your academic performance!

And I have my (concussion-less) mock exam results to prove it!

All these pro-helmet people are retarding the nations youth!

Regarding my use of cycle helmets, in 20 odd years of cycling that was the only head injury I've
suffered so I don't consider cycling to be dangerous enough to need protective equipment. I don't
wear a helmet canoeing in still water*, walking, driving etc for the same reason. However, as the
risk is still there, I don't consider it out of the ordinary for other people to wear a helmet.
Unless they're walking or driving. Which would be a little weird.

*unless there are a load of kids coming with me, in which case a helmet saves me from having paddles
scalping me every 10 minutes!

"Juliette" <[email protected]> wrote

> There are plenty of tedious helmet threads full of polemic, anecdotes and urban myths; you could
> have posted this to one of them. There was no need to start yet another tedious helmet thread.

Yeah, I wish people would stop posting stuff about helmets. I've got no interests in helmets and
whether or why anyone wears one or not but I feel I ought to keep reading it in case it develops
into a comical slanging match...you know... "Git"... "******"... "Git"... "******". Unfortunately
people are far too polite around here and it doesn't happen. The recent speed camera thread on
uk.rec.walking was quite entertaining though.

"Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Well as someone who knows what it feels like to hit the ground unconscious after a collision, I
> can categorically say a helmet would have saved my life, if I had been wearing one ;o)

Message courtesy of Ouijanet ;-)

Pete

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:32:06 GMT, "Steve R."

>> People do not die in such accidents. People do not even get concussion in such accidents.
>
>Yes they do and I can give you an example, and I bet there are plenty of others.
>
>A couple of years ago a teenage kid in Bristol fell off his bike at low speed, his head hit the
>kerb and he died of a brain haemorrhage shortly afterwards. :~(
>
>No other injuries than the head injury. Had *he* have been wearing a helmet, he would certainly
>have got up and walked away.

Remember, in the event of nuclear attack, duck and cover.

Duck. And Cover.
--

"Bob"

Email address is spamtrapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:32:06 GMT, "Steve R."

>No other injuries than the head injury. Had *he* have been wearing a helmet, he would certainly
>have got up and walked away.

Is the wrong answer. As has been pointed out on more than one occasion, without going back and
repeating the experiment (no, thanks, I'm not volunteering) we can't be "certain" of anything.

The fundamental problem, as always, is that the liddies consider only the probability of injury
given crash. Overall probability of injury (including head injury) does not change with increasing
helmet use.

It would be nice to be able to separate out whatever the factor is which causes the benefit of
helmets (which must logically exist in at least some measure) to disappear in practice, but since
nobody is sure what it is that might be rather difficult.

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)> writes:

> Regarding my use of cycle helmets, in 20 odd years of cycling that was the only head injury I've
> suffered so I don't consider cycling to be dangerous enough to need protective equipment. I don't
> wear a helmet canoeing in still water*, walking, driving etc for the same reason. However, as the
> risk is still there, I don't consider it out of the ordinary for other people to wear a helmet.
> Unless they're walking or driving. Which would be a little weird.

I'm not against people wearing helmet, if they want to. I am against them spouting nonsense
about them.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

to err is human, to lisp divine ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Just zis Guy, you know? thought it would be good to say:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:32:06 GMT, "Steve R." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>No other injuries than the head injury. Had *he* have been wearing a helmet, he would certainly
>>have got up and walked away.
>
> Is the wrong answer. As has been pointed out on more than one occasion, without going back and
> repeating the experiment (no, thanks, I'm not volunteering) we can't be "certain" of anything.
>
> The fundamental problem, as always, is that the liddies consider only the probability of injury
> given crash. Overall probability of injury (including head injury) does not change with increasing
> helmet use.
>
> It would be nice to be able to separate out whatever the factor is which causes the benefit of
> helmets (which must logically exist in at least some measure) to disappear in practice, but since
> nobody is sure what it is that might be rather difficult.

I can try:

At low speeds, a helmet is extremely useful at reducing the effects of an impact - abrasions, cuts
and suchlike. At high speeds, forget it.

When I was hit by a car coming the other way, I got brain damage. This was caused by my brain having
momentum and slurping at my skull when my skull stopped moving, then bouncing back from that and
slamming into the rear of the skull, causing the damage and internal bleeding. Momentum would have
been the same with or without a helmet. I wasn't wearing one, so I got a split ear from the
collision as well as the brain damage. The helmet could well have lessened the damage to my ear. I
still don't wear one, though. Maybe as an after-effect of the brain damage.

Pip

Status
Not open for further replies.