A Cycle Helmet saved this lady's life.

> I still can't think of a way to complain about the missing word without sounding unbelievably
> pedantic.

That's never stopped anyone on this newsgroup before :)

In news:[email protected],
Mark Thompson <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
typed:
>> I still can't think of a way to complain about the missing word without sounding unbelievably
>> pedantic.
>
> That's never stopped anyone on this newsgroup before :)

Never stopped me before on the NG, but I try to behave a bit better in public :)

> >You mean take up an entire lane for one bicycle (well, two thirds at
least,
> >but no cars gonna get past oncoming traffic). You aren't serious are
you?
> >(outside of lane has always meant to the right to me - am I mistaken?)

> You're not mistaken. The general idea is to prevent other vehicles from overtaking when doing so
> is dangerous. You can't have a problem with that, surely?

I'd assumed everyone meant riding in that position all the time! Now I've realised people just use
it for choke points etc it's suddenly making sense.

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:02:04 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
<[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote:

>I'd assumed everyone meant riding in that position all the time! Now I've realised people just use
>it for choke points etc it's suddenly making sense.

You will from time to time get furious hooting from behind. This is good as it confirms that the
stupid git was fully intending to barge through danger zone, and justifies your protecting yourself.

--
Dave...

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:35:21 -0000, in
<[email protected]>, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Usually a good time to look back looking puzzled, slow down, do who me gesture, stop, look very
>> puzzled, inspect the bike for something wrong, check clothing........ ;-)
>
>William. Slow down one gear per hoot. If necessary, explain to hooting type that you have an awful
>lot of gears in reserve...
>
>We wish to make it plain that the above is intended to be used solely for ironic purposes.
>Signed: The Mgt.

Nope, it is intended to be used solely for safety purposes. If the person behind you is not prepared
to calculate a safe distance based on your speed, then you as a cyclist must calculate a safe speed
based on their distance. This obviously assumes that the horn-happy cager is tailgating you, which
IME is a commonly correct one.

Love and hugs from Rich x

--
Due to a typing error on the Children's Hospital menu Saturday evening now offers "Beef burger in a
bum". Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:27:18 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>And while the HSE may insist employers ensure the workforce wear yellow hats the same person is not
>compelled to wear them off-site even if undertaking the same tasks, ie DIY.

That, IMO, is a crucial difference. That an the fact that the risk of being hit on the head or
cracking your nut on a dangling object or low lintel in a building site is actually quite high, IME,
whereas the risk of head injury while cycling is actually very low.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Dave Kahn wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:02:04 -0000, "Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm
> for hot)> wrote:
>
>> I'd assumed everyone meant riding in that position all the time! Now I've realised people just
>> use it for choke points etc it's suddenly making sense.
>
> You will from time to time get furious hooting from behind. This is good as it confirms that the
> stupid git was fully intending to barge through danger zone, and justifies your protecting
> yourself.

Usually a good time to look back looking puzzled, slow down, do who me gesture, stop, look very
puzzled, inspect the bike for something wrong, check clothing........ ;-)

Tony

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/