A cyclist died today

Blademun

May 27, 2005
The header is unassuming, and almost sounds like a Oxymoron.."A great Loss for Ebay" terrible, or tragic would have been much finer choice of words. Here is the article under that header:

On Friday, we were all deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Bob Hebeler, our Vice President of Seller Development. Bob was an avid cyclist and while out on one of his many regular rides, was involved in a terrible accident. He died from injuries sustained in the accident. Cycling was one of Bob's great passions. He died doing something that he truly loved.
BobHebeler.jpg
Bob Hebeler
Bob and I both joined eBay in March of 2000. He was one of the pioneers in creating Category Management—a structure that lives on today. He has held various roles in the company including Community Development. More recently, Bob led the Seller Development team and our team in Canada. He and his team's work have been solely focused on developing stronger relationships with our sellers and providing better service. He was deeply committed and passionate about his work with the Community. Bob had a lot of integrity and always wanted to do the right thing for our business and the Community. This is a very tough loss for many of us. Bob was the rare individual who was liked and admired by virtually everyone he worked with. That's one of the reasons why this news is so difficult.

Bob's family was very important to him. Bob is survived by his wife Marie and their two children. He was just able to spend some quality time with them on a special extended family vacation. Bob will be laid to rest later this week in Chesaning, Michigan near his family farm.

We're in contact with Bob's family to offer our sympathy and help. For those of you who may like to express your sympathy and thoughts, we have opened a thread on the Seller Central board. If you would like to send condolences to Bob's family, please send them to:

Marie Hebeler and family
c/o eBay
2145 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, CA 95125

Please keep Bob and his family in your thoughts and prayers. I've also attached a link to a tribute to Bob from Jordan Banks, our Country Manager in Canada. His words capture, far better than I ever could, who Bob was and what he meant to all of us.

Bill Cobb

I would also like to add my prayers, its a sobering thing to read about something like this.