A different kind of weight training...

Jon Packard

Jun 8, 2004
I just bought a trailer to cart my 50 lb daughter on rides with me. I've done some hill repeat sessions with her (ow, ow, ow!!) and wonder... Is this a good way to increase the ammount of power I can generate (once I shed the trailer)?

I'm no coach or trainer but I can tell you that the extra weight you are pulling will definitely add leg power. Just think of it as a leg workout in the gym. But you have to be careful not to injure your knee. I'd say climb some low hills that you find comfortable riding with your daughter behind you and gradually increase gearing as you get stronger. This way you can easily bail out of the ride by simply shifting to a lower gear and not completely stop. Good luck!

Jon Packard said:
I just bought a trailer to cart my 50 lb daughter on rides with me. I've done some hill repeat sessions with her (ow, ow, ow!!) and wonder... Is this a good way to increase the ammount of power I can generate (once I shed the trailer)?

Jon Packard said:

Jon,

I would say "yes, if you ride hard enough". However, it won't increase your power any more than riding a 15 lb bike at the same intensity; you'll just be slower with the trailer. Also, the neuromuscular effects will be different and less transferable to other modes, such as road racing.

It's better than skipping a ride (assuming you don't need rest), but it's best to ride in the mode you want to improve. Ciao

jws said:
Jon,

I would say "yes, if you ride hard enough". However, it won't increase your power any more than riding a 15 lb bike at the same intensity; you'll just be slower with the trailer. Also, the neuromuscular effects will be different and less transferable to other modes, such as road racing.

It's better than skipping a ride (assuming you don't need rest), but it's best to ride in the mode you want to improve. Ciao

great post. my thoughts entirely

ric