A dinner experiment

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Karen AKA Kajikit, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. I bought a bottle of peach nectar to drink and when my husband brought
    it home he said 'save it for cooking'... so last night I made peach
    chicken. Sliced onion and a green pepper and chicken thighs and a
    spoon of garlic, covered in the nectar and with some cajun spice,
    mixed herbs, and turmeric added. I almost added a can of sliced
    peaches to it but decided not to gild the lilly... when it was cooked
    I thickened the sauce with some cornstarch and served it over plain
    white rice with a big bowl of salad. It wasn't half bad!

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

    Tags:

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

  3. On Wed 01 Feb 2006 12:18:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Karen AKA
    Kajikit?

    > I bought a bottle of peach nectar to drink and when my husband brought
    > it home he said 'save it for cooking'... so last night I made peach
    > chicken. Sliced onion and a green pepper and chicken thighs and a
    > spoon of garlic, covered in the nectar and with some cajun spice,
    > mixed herbs, and turmeric added. I almost added a can of sliced
    > peaches to it but decided not to gild the lilly... when it was cooked
    > I thickened the sauce with some cornstarch and served it over plain
    > white rice with a big bowl of salad. It wasn't half bad!

    I've done similar with apricot nectar. Tasty stuff

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  4. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:18:33 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It wasn't half bad!

    This is one of those phrases used a lot, but means the opposite of
    what the user intends.

    What you meant to say is that it was "almost good", perhaps :)

    -sw

  5. Steve Wertz wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:18:33 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>It wasn't half bad!
    >>

    >This is one of those phrases used a lot, but means the opposite of
    >what the user intends.
    >
    >What you meant to say is that it was "almost good", perhaps :)
    >
    >-sw

    No, what she meant was that it was really good! It's one of those
    mysteriously constructed phrases like "Cheap at half the price"
    which means good value for money.

    Christine

  6. On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:34:17 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:18:33 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> It wasn't half bad!

    >This is one of those phrases used a lot, but means the opposite of
    >what the user intends.
    >
    >What you meant to say is that it was "almost good", perhaps :)

    LOL! No I didn't... what I meant to say was that I was uncertain how
    much fruit flavour would soak into the chicken, and whether it would
    be sweet enough or if I'd have to add extra seasoning and some brown
    sugar when it was done... but when I took it out the oven and tasted
    it it was just right and all I had to do was to thicken the juice :)
    I've had the leftovers for lunch yesterday and today, and there's a
    serve left for tomorrow... I mixed the leftover rice into the sauce
    and it's soaked it up nicely. yum!