A "dip" on my rear road tire

lol168

Feb 8, 2013
Hi folks,

Can anyone please advise if I should be concern about this slightly uneven (a dip?) that was found on my rear road tire?

Or, is it just something very common?

Thanks in advance!

P. S. Tire pressure around 108. No air leak observed.

Attachments

• IMAG0361.jpg
    IMAG0361.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Not sure if the pic is viewable..... Let me try again to reattach the pic.

A bulge would be a definite concern, a sign that the cord is giving away. A local dip - I don't know.
It's reasonably common to have a larger section of the tire not seating properly, but I've never seen such a defined dip before.
Usually there's a thin indicator line molded into the tire sidewall, and this line should run at an even distance just above the rim the whole way around. If yours does, then the tire is seated properly, and I don't really know what else you could do. If it came from a shop down the street, I'd probably take it back.

i think you need to replace that tire, for precaution, it seems to be old enough anyway

*The "indicator line" is running even above the right. * This is a brand new bike/tire, with only 40miles on it. I've rode for 8 miles approximately since I posted. Situation remain same. I will recheck the "indicator line", and tire pressure later today.

Can you feel it while riding? If so, toss it in the trash and mount a new one.

Do you corner hard and lay the bike over? If so, toss it in the trash and mount a new one.

Do you descend like a mad man, grinning as the speedo passes 50 MPH? If so, toss it in the trash and mount a new one.

Do you commute 5 miles at 12 MPH on flat terrain and enjoy saving money? Keep riding it and keep an eye on it.

lol168 said:
2013 Trek Lexa SLX C, black $1350+tax
i meant the tire, anyway for a new bike like that tires should be of medium to good quality at least, use the warranty and ask for a replacement tire,

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Can you feel it while riding? If so, toss it in the trash and mount a new one.

Do you corner hard and lay the bike over? If so, toss it in the trash and mount a new one.

Do you descend like a mad man, grinning as the speedo passes 50 MPH? If so, toss it in the trash and mount a new one.

Do you commute 5 miles at 12 MPH on flat terrain and enjoy saving money? Keep riding it and keep an eye on it.
CB has good advice here. I'll add a final bit.... take your new bike (or just the rear wheel) back to the Trek store and show them the tire. They may replace it for you under warranty, or tell you all the Bontrager R1 tires look like this. If they say it's fine, ask them if you need to be concerned about cornering or fast descents. You could also ask them how much more a better tire costs

No tire is perfect. But one reason some of us cheapskates buy expensive tires is that they tend to be more round, with consistent cross sections, and better balanced. Perhaps the best upgrade you can do on a bike like this is better, more expensive tires. Ride, handling, grip, rolling resistance and tire life will improve with higher quality tires.

@CAMPYBOB: the answer to your first 3 questions are No. I ride around 5times a week. Average 10miles per trip on bike path. Certain areas of the bike path are pretty bumpy though due to lack of maintenance or loose gravel. Today I rode 18 miles and.... things are fine. Well, at least at this moment. @dhk2: Do you have any specific brand/type you can recommend?

lol168, for bike path riding you should be fine. Keep an eye on the defect and if you do not already carry a tire repair kit I would advise stashing one on the bike or in your jersey. A tire 'boot' (anything from a piece of old tube to the Park purchased boot) should be in your kit.

Originally Posted by lol168 .

@CAMPYBOB: the answer to your first 3 questions are No. I ride around 5times a week. Average 10miles per trip on bike path. Certain areas of the bike path are pretty bumpy though due to lack of maintenance or loose gravel.

Today I rode 18 miles and.... things are fine. Well, at least at this moment.

@dhk2: Do you have any specific brand/type you can recommend?

Bontrager markets some other tires, but I prefer Continental (Conti) or Michelin. Suggest you pick a "training" tire in lieu of a "race" tire for better puncture resistance and longer life. You can check out the choices on Michelin and Conti websites. All tires are compromises for grip, wear, light weight, puncture resistance, which is why they offer so many choices. Something like the Lithion from Mich, or the Gran Prix GT from Conti would be great choices in 25mm width.

Since the lump is on the back, I'd continue to ride it and just watch to make sure it's not getting worse or starting to pull the tire bead off the rim. Easy enough to look when right after you inflate it. If the issue was the front tire, I'd be more worried. Blowouts on the back tire are usually not hard to control, particularly at lower speeds on flat ground. Blowouts in front can be worse since they tend to make the bike unstable instantly. Thankfully, sudden blowouts are rare if you don't overinflate tires and are aware of lumps and problems.....like you are.

dhk2 said:
Bontrager markets some other tires, but I prefer Continental (Conti) or Michelin.  
Second that. If I were looking for a good training tire, I'd look at Conti's Grand Prix 4 Season, Michelin's Krylion (out of production by many places online still sell it) or ProRace4 Endurance (replaced the Krylion), or Maxxis' Re-Fuse.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Second that. If I were looking for a good training tire, I'd look at Conti's Grand Prix 4 Season, Michelin's Krylion (out of production by many places online still sell it) or ProRace4 Endurance (replaced the Krylion), or Maxxis' Re-Fuse.
Enough good things can't be said about the Conti 4-season. About the only bad thing that can be said is that it's pricey. But in this case one get's exactly what they pay for.

A dollar bill can serve as an emergency tire boot, if that tire lets go. If you have doubts about the tire, take it to your shop and have them take a look at it.

My wife has the entry level Lexa with lower grade tires than R1s, and they're still fine after about 3,000 miles.

Thank you all for your input!! Yesterday I rode for another 8 miles, but this time I stopped and walked across a small bumpy wood bridge instead. When I checked on the tire after the ride, the dip was gone! I checked and checked, but I don't see that defined dip..... anymore. Anyhow, if anything go wrong on the tire, I will know what to get for replacement ;-) I also have couple dollar bills as emergency boot, and plus a patch kit in my bag, just in case.

Well, I I've to correct myself: the dip was still there, but much less obvious :-