A fabulous spring day to be back on the bike

Robin4340

Guest
Thought I'd share this.

Monday was the first day in 5 months that I could ride my bike after an enforced layoff. I took the
bike out of the lean to, pumped up the tyres, checked the brakes, and it was ready. Restocked the
saddlebag with couple of jam sarnies and filled up the water bottle. My ride was around the South
Downs of Ditchling Beacon and Devils Dyke. During my enforced lay off I'd almost lost a couple of
stone and any leg muscles that I may of once had, but this didn't dull my enthusiasm for climbing
and descending around the hills. I'd forgotten just how much I'd missed being on the road. At a rest
stop it was great just to view the countryside, to see the sun lighting up the Down escarpments and
hear the silence. I'd never ridden these roads on a weekday and I think that they are busier at the
weekend. The only downside of the ride was that I hadn't brought enough cash to have swift jar in
one of the country pubs, still there's always next time.

Robin4340

Yesterday I got back on my bike - off due to chest infection. I've still got a cough, but I felt a
bit better so I thought I'd give it a go - only a few miles
- 9 -10 pootling about the lanes *gently*.

It was *glorious* - the sun was in the sky - sunshine, relatively warm for the time of year - dry.
In the sheltered spots I could have cycled in short sleeves
- but in the less than sheltered spots the headwind had a nip to it so I was glad of the long
sleeved jersey.

The sheep, cattle, ducks & chickens were in the fields. Birds were singing, bunnies hopping in the
hedgerows and pheasants bobbed across the road pretending to be Roadrunner :)

It was *wonderful*. My soul sang!

My chest was tight and my breathing a bit laboured & heavy (could make a fortune on a dirty phone
call chatline ... ), but it was worth it.

I even had courteous lorry drivers around too. At one point a HGV overtook - and he waited until I'd
signalled hed past with a raised hand, before he signalled and movced back in. He even flashed his
rear indicator as a "thank you" too. Then, as I cycled back into my village, an HGV held back behind
me to make a left-hand turn, rather than overtake & cut in. Again, I waved a thank you to the
driver. And none of the above courtesies were marred by a mad motorist event :)

When I got home I was wheezing somewhat and my chest was tight - but the exertion of cycling had
really got the air deep into my lungs and got some nasty stuff stuck there dislodged and I felt much
better for it - after about an hour of being back home :)

All-in-all - a lovely day to be out on a bike.

And I'm going to do it again today.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> Yesterday I got back on my bike - off due to chest infection. I've still
got a
> cough, but I felt a bit better so I thought I'd give it a go - only a few
miles
> - 9 -10 pootling about the lanes *gently*.
>
> It was *glorious* - the sun was in the sky - sunshine, relatively warm for
the
> time of year - dry. In the sheltered spots I could have cycled in short
sleeves
> - but in the less than sheltered spots the headwind had a nip to it so I
was
> glad of the long sleeved jersey.
>
> The sheep, cattle, ducks & chickens were in the fields. Birds were
singing,
> bunnies hopping in the hedgerows and pheasants bobbed across the road pretending to be
> Roadrunner :)
>
> It was *wonderful*. My soul sang!
>
> My chest was tight and my breathing a bit laboured & heavy (could make a fortune on a dirty phone
> call chatline ... ), but it was worth it.
>
> I even had courteous lorry drivers around too. At one point a HGV
overtook -
> and he waited until I'd signalled hed past with a raised hand, before he signalled and movced back
> in. He even flashed his rear indicator as a
"thank
> you" too. Then, as I cycled back into my village, an HGV held back behind
me to
> make a left-hand turn, rather than overtake & cut in. Again, I waved a
thank
> you to the driver. And none of the above courtesies were marred by a mad motorist event :)
>
> When I got home I was wheezing somewhat and my chest was tight - but the exertion of cycling had
> really got the air deep into my lungs and got some nasty stuff stuck there dislodged and I felt
> much better for it - after
about
> an hour of being back home :)
>
> All-in-all - a lovely day to be out on a bike.
>
> And I'm going to do it again today.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Glad to hear you're well enough to get back out there Helen. I was lying in bed yesterday morning
with a combination of tonsilitis and a head cold, thinking must stay in bed and get better, must
stay in bed and get better.... By 10 o' clock the sun was shining through the curtains and I was
thinking, well, maybe just a little ride to see some friends in Wolverhampton about 5 miles away.
By midday I was on my way to Shifnal, then across to Bridgenorth and finally back home via
Wolverhampton, roughly 45 miles in all. As you said helen, sun was out in a hazy kind of way, no
real wind chill to speak of and, believe it or not, I saw my first lambs of the year....Spring is
sprung, the grass is ris, I wonder where the burdies is..etc, etc. Stopped in Bridgenorth for a
bite to eat on the banks of the River Severn as it idly flowed by (oh, for a poetic bent). There
was even a solitary old gent on the opposite bank practicing the ancient art of angling (but not
catching anything, thank da lawd). It really could've been an early Summer's day...the promise of
things to come, can't wait, at last!! Anyway, got home, ate heartily (baked potato & corned beef,
cheese), fetched son back from after school club, welcomed wife back from work, then left for some
indoor rock climbing for 4 hours with a couple of friends. Pushed myself on various technical bits
and finally arrived home about 11 last night, exhausted but on a total buzz. And to think I
could've just stayed in bed and got better !! Here's to the impending Summer, via Spring first, of
course. ;-) Dave.

> >Glad to hear you're well enough to get back out there Helen.
>
> Thank you :)
>
> >I was lying in bed yesterday morning with a combination of tonsilitis and
> >head cold, thinking must stay in bed and get better, must stay in bed and get better....
>
> That's how my chest infection started - I hope yours doesn't develop as
mine
> did :)

It's the first time I've tried working through a viral infection (cold!) by exercising hard. It
seems to be working. I don't seem to be falling into the depths of infection that I normally do when
retiring to 'under the duvet', which is a real (pleasant) surprise.

> >By midday I was on my way to Shifnal, then across to Bridgenorth and
finally
> >back home via Wolverhampton, roughly 45 miles in all.
>
> Bah! So you did more than my 9-10! ;-)

Purely accidental, 'onestly...and not a pair of b*bsh*rts in sight!!

> >Here's to the impending Summer, via Spring first, of course. ;-)
>
> Oh yes - my ideal summer would be sun and little wind during the day -
showers
> after dark - not too hot - around 22C would be nice! My ideal cycling
weather
> :)

Close my eyes...and I'm there...thanks!!

> Cheers, helen s

> Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
> reply!
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd
Hazy sunshine out there again today. Haven't been out yet, but as I'm at work (leisure centre) at
1400, it's get there at 1300 and swim a mile. Ah well, maybe they can open the doors running
alongside the pool ;-) cheers, Dave.