a fat man's progress

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:48:27 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> and BenS wrote:
>> > Given I ride an mtb with no mudguards in all weathers
>> > and my feet never get wet unless it's really ratting
>> > down, I don't get it.
>
>And I responded:
>> I'm afraid I can't explain that. It's at odds with my own
>> experience.
>
>Just looked at your CV and I see that you're into mountain
>biking (riding an mtb doesn't necessarily make that so).
>Perhaps you do all your riding off road? I imagine the
>spray might be a lot thicker than the spray from slick
>tyres on road (which is where my experience lies). The on
>road spray is probably more penetrating than the mud you
>get off road.

That would make a certain amount of sense. However I don't
ride purely off road. I ride around 150 miles a week on road
on offroad tyres as training[1] or a 100 odd road and 50 odd
offroad. So most of my miles are road miles[2].

You've also reminded my that I must get that website
finished properly and put all the mtbing and motorcycling
stuff up. Ta.

[1] Must get my slicks fitted to my spare wheels, really.
[2] Aren't too many mountains in Birmingham.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

david kenning wrote:
> Also must get some foot protection - my feet were like ice
> cubes by the time I got home and I still haven't fully
> regained feeling in some of my toes... does anyone know
> anything about sealskin socks?

I have a pair of the Midlight ones, which do keep feet
warmer than ordinary socks. Thin socks underneath as
liners make them more comfortable; shoes need to be half a
size too big.

In any case, neoprene overshoes are almost essential if you
use cycling shoes with clipless pedals in cold weather. (Bit
bulky for toeclips).

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:49:24 +0000 (UTC), "david kenning"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Steph Peters wrote:
>> Sounds damned fast to this fatbirdonabike.
>
>It felt fast to me - that's why I'm so chuffed about it.
>But I'm paying for it now...
>
>> so there are climbs involved as well as the downhill.
>
>I'm not daft enough to try going up the big hill - I go
>round it on the way out and approach it by a long and
>fairly gentle climb on the way back.
>
>> We're not all even vaguely fit you know.
>
>I'm glad to hear it (well, you know what I mean - that
>cyclingforums.com bunch are a load of ultra-fit speedfreaks
>and I feel distinctly inadequate in their company - I'm
>glad to find out that uk.rec.cycling attracts more...
>normal folk)

My speedo says my average is 11.odds - in km/hr!

(I'm an unashamed utility/commute cyclist)

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk
links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)
http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:39:24 +0000 (UTC), "david kenning"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Kahn wrote:
>> Think about it. If you can do 20 miles pushing hard, 30
>> miles at a relaxed pace should be easy.
>
>You know what - you're absolutely right. I decided to take
>your advice and did 36 miles today, taking it very gently.
>Felt pretty good too,

Excellent. I'm glad to hear that.

>notwithstanding the fact that about 15 miles out it started
>to rain pretty hard and I hadn't taken my waterproof...

Sorry, can't do anything about the weather. Of course, the
longer the ride the more important it becomes to dress
appropriately for the conditions.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain