A female Clarkson?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.

    (yawn) what do you expect from Doris Karloff?; I also think a lot of
    that article was primed.
    I like the bit about red lights "if I did that cameras would flash" she
    obviously doesn't work in Westminster

  3. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
    >
    > I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

    Aaawww...poor girl...my heart bleeds. Was it just me that thought it
    ironic for her to quote "the law of the jungle"?

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
    >
    > I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

    Hmm...

    Also, Pavement Cyclists were given the Jeremy Vine treatment today
    (available on Listen Again at the usual spots).

    Personally, I'm opposed to all forms of selfish behaviour, whether it's
    pavement cycling, motorists speeding outside schools or teenagers
    vomiting absinthe and chips everywhere on a friday night.

    Village green stocks and an ample supply of rotting fruit and night soil
    - that's what we need...

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    >>Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.

    > (yawn) what do you expect from Doris Karloff?; I also think a lot of
    > that article was primed.
    > I like the bit about red lights "if I did that cameras would flash" she
    > obviously doesn't work in Westminster

    Apparantly, Widdecombe will be talking to Bob "Death on the Streets"
    Davis at 06:40 approx tomorrow on GMTV.

  6. Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear featuring, as
    the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the minister of transport who does
    speed cameras. I thought he was extremely brave to go on, and did very
    well in sticking a "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on
    JC. Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

    --
    Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph

  7. elyob

    elyob Guest

    > Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
    >
    > I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

    I had a passenger seat car journey the other day. The commuter style
    cyclists I saw the other day, well two of them, left a little to be desired.
    The first clipped my brothers wing mirror and wasn't riding defensively. His
    track stand was good, but was on chevrons which didn't let the motorists
    know what he was doing. The second was riding normally with hi-vis and the
    lot. He jumped a couple of reds (no big no-no, where he did it, but got no
    awards from the views of cagers). But his main fault was taking super human
    primary position. He was on the white dividing lines, but with two cars able
    to pass on the inside. I thought he was turning into the petrol station on
    the other side. But no, he swung left and returned after "a long while". I
    think I was the first to say "he's bloody dangerous".

    Wearing hi-vis and all the kit (lights, nice bike, SPD's, panniers) means I
    *expect* you know what you are doing on the roads. Not doing that is more
    dangerous than a bit of dark kit but still got lights.

  8. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:06:52 +0000, MSeries wrote:

    > Apparantly, Widdecombe will be talking to Bob "Death on the Streets"
    > Davis at 06:40 approx tomorrow on GMTV.

    Ooh, should be good! Any chance any could record/has recorded it (depending
    when this gets read) so they can stick it somewhere downloadable?

    Cheers,

    Graeme

  9. Alex

    Alex Guest

    At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted uk.rec.cycling by
    announcing:

    > Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear featuring, as
    > the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the minister of transport who does
    > speed cameras. I thought he was extremely brave to go on, and did very
    > well in sticking a "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on
    > JC. Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

    And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side of the track.

  10. Timo

    Timo Guest

    Why is it that cyclists always get blamed collectively for the
    behaviour of idiot cyclists but the same isn't true for idiot
    motorists?

  11. Simon Mason wrote:

    > Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
    >
    > I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

    It's OK - only dyed-in-the-wool right wing nutters read the Express
    because it confirms their own prejudices. The journos just write what
    they think the readers want to hear, it isn't going to change the world.

    Actually, she shoots herself in the foot with her last paragraph.
    Cyclists can be cut considerable slack because they pose very little
    danger to others, not that I condone any of the red light jumping etc.

  12. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted
    > uk.rec.cycling by announcing:
    >
    >> Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear
    >> featuring, as the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the
    >> minister of transport who does speed cameras. I thought he
    >> was extremely brave to go on, and did very well in sticking a
    >> "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on JC.
    >> Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

    > And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side
    > of the track.

    I don't think there was a speed limit on the track.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  13. Alex

    Alex Guest

    At 19:44:39 on 01/12/2005, the.Mark delighted uk.rec.cycling by announcing:

    > Alex wrote:
    > > At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted
    > > uk.rec.cycling by announcing:
    > >
    > > > Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear
    > > > featuring, as the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the
    > > > minister of transport who does speed cameras. I thought he
    > > > was extremely brave to go on, and did very well in sticking a
    > > > "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on JC.
    > > > Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

    > > And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side
    > > of the track.

    > I don't think there was a speed limit on the track.

    That wasn't the point.

  14. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > At 19:44:39 on 01/12/2005, the.Mark delighted uk.rec.cycling
    > by announcing:
    >
    >> Alex wrote:
    >>> At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted
    >>> uk.rec.cycling by announcing:

    >>> And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side
    >>> of the track.

    >> I don't think there was a speed limit on the track.

    > That wasn't the point.

    Why would he have to look for speed cameras, he was racing he only
    needed to watch for anything that would interfere with his lap time.
    If he had been on the public highway then I would hope that he could
    see the camera.
    Then again anyone driving on the public highway shouldn't need to see
    the cameras. I don't need to see them.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  15. the.Mark wrote:

    > Then again anyone driving on the public highway shouldn't need to see
    > the cameras. I don't need to see them.

    There's an annoyingly high percentage of people that both:

    1) drive at or under the speed limit
    2) brake for speed cameras

    Prime example is on the A303 eastbound just before the A36 intersection:

    http://qurl.com/d1bwc

    This is an easy NSL road, but there's always a queue just before the
    speed camera as dolts pass it at 40mph.

    --
    Mark.
    http://tranchant.plus.com/