A female Clarkson?

Simon Mason wrote:
> Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.

(yawn) what do you expect from Doris Karloff?; I also think a lot of
that article was primed.
I like the bit about red lights "if I did that cameras would flash" she
obviously doesn't work in Westminster

Simon Mason wrote:

> Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
>
> I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

Aaawww...poor girl...my heart bleeds. Was it just me that thought it
ironic for her to quote "the law of the jungle"?

Simon Mason wrote:
> Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
>
> I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

Hmm...

Also, Pavement Cyclists were given the Jeremy Vine treatment today
(available on Listen Again at the usual spots).

Personally, I'm opposed to all forms of selfish behaviour, whether it's
pavement cycling, motorists speeding outside schools or teenagers
vomiting absinthe and chips everywhere on a friday night.

Village green stocks and an ample supply of rotting fruit and night soil
- that's what we need...

MartinM wrote:
> Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.

> (yawn) what do you expect from Doris Karloff?; I also think a lot of
> that article was primed.
> I like the bit about red lights "if I did that cameras would flash" she
> obviously doesn't work in Westminster

Apparantly, Widdecombe will be talking to Bob "Death on the Streets"
Davis at 06:40 approx tomorrow on GMTV.

Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear featuring, as
the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the minister of transport who does
speed cameras. I thought he was extremely brave to go on, and did very
well in sticking a "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on
JC. Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph

> Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
>
> I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

I had a passenger seat car journey the other day. The commuter style
cyclists I saw the other day, well two of them, left a little to be desired.
The first clipped my brothers wing mirror and wasn't riding defensively. His
track stand was good, but was on chevrons which didn't let the motorists
know what he was doing. The second was riding normally with hi-vis and the
lot. He jumped a couple of reds (no big no-no, where he did it, but got no
awards from the views of cagers). But his main fault was taking super human
primary position. He was on the white dividing lines, but with two cars able
to pass on the inside. I thought he was turning into the petrol station on
the other side. But no, he swung left and returned after "a long while". I
think I was the first to say "he's bloody dangerous".

Wearing hi-vis and all the kit (lights, nice bike, SPD's, panniers) means I
*expect* you know what you are doing on the roads. Not doing that is more
dangerous than a bit of dark kit but still got lights.

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:06:52 +0000, MSeries wrote:

> Apparantly, Widdecombe will be talking to Bob "Death on the Streets"
> Davis at 06:40 approx tomorrow on GMTV.

Ooh, should be good! Any chance any could record/has recorded it (depending
when this gets read) so they can stick it somewhere downloadable?

Cheers,

Graeme

At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted uk.rec.cycling by
announcing:

> Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear featuring, as
> the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the minister of transport who does
> speed cameras. I thought he was extremely brave to go on, and did very
> well in sticking a "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on
> JC. Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side of the track.

Why is it that cyclists always get blamed collectively for the
behaviour of idiot cyclists but the same isn't true for idiot
motorists?

Simon Mason wrote:

> Today's Daily Express (30 NOV 05) has this piece by Ann Widdecombe.
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/wid.htm
>
> I Iike her take on the "left hook" move.

It's OK - only dyed-in-the-wool right wing nutters read the Express
because it confirms their own prejudices. The journos just write what
they think the readers want to hear, it isn't going to change the world.

Actually, she shoots herself in the foot with her last paragraph.
Cyclists can be cut considerable slack because they pose very little
danger to others, not that I condone any of the red light jumping etc.

Alex wrote:
> At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted
> uk.rec.cycling by announcing:
>
>> Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear
>> featuring, as the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the
>> minister of transport who does speed cameras. I thought he
>> was extremely brave to go on, and did very well in sticking a
>> "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on JC.
>> Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

> And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side
> of the track.

I don't think there was a speed limit on the track.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

At 19:44:39 on 01/12/2005, the.Mark delighted uk.rec.cycling by announcing:

> Alex wrote:
> > At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted
> > uk.rec.cycling by announcing:
> >
> > > Speaking of Clarkson did anyone else see Sunday's Top Gear
> > > featuring, as the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the
> > > minister of transport who does speed cameras. I thought he
> > > was extremely brave to go on, and did very well in sticking a
> > > "how incompetent do you have to be to get flashed" on JC.
> > > Worryingly, he had 9 points himself...

> > And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side
> > of the track.

> I don't think there was a speed limit on the track.

That wasn't the point.

Alex wrote:
> At 19:44:39 on 01/12/2005, the.Mark delighted uk.rec.cycling
> by announcing:
>
>> Alex wrote:
>>> At 00:11:07 on 01/12/2005, Patrick Herring delighted
>>> uk.rec.cycling by announcing:

>>> And didn't even notice the speed camera installed on the side
>>> of the track.

>> I don't think there was a speed limit on the track.

> That wasn't the point.

Why would he have to look for speed cameras, he was racing he only
needed to watch for anything that would interfere with his lap time.
If he had been on the public highway then I would hope that he could
see the camera.
Then again anyone driving on the public highway shouldn't need to see
the cameras. I don't need to see them.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

the.Mark wrote:

> Then again anyone driving on the public highway shouldn't need to see
> the cameras. I don't need to see them.

There's an annoyingly high percentage of people that both:

1) drive at or under the speed limit
2) brake for speed cameras

Prime example is on the A303 eastbound just before the A36 intersection:

http://qurl.com/d1bwc

This is an easy NSL road, but there's always a queue just before the
speed camera as dolts pass it at 40mph.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/