A few factors leading to IT-Band pain?

neilkod

Sep 8, 2003
I've been experimenting with my saddle height lately-I've found that if I raise it, I'm quite stronger on the hills.

I've also gotten into mountain biking. A lot. Over the last few years, I'd ride 90% road, 10% mountian. Now(in terms of hours), I'm riding about 70% mountain, 30% road. If it helps, I managed to stay on my road bike all winter; now that spring is here, I've been mtb'ing like crazy.

Having said that, each and every time I finish up on the road bike, my IT-band flares up. I'm stretching/cooling, trying to do all the right things. If it helps, it doesn't bother me when mountain biking.

I've tried lowering my saddle height but now that doesn't seem to help-regardless of how much seatpost I show, my IT-band always hurts afterward. Are there any other adjustments I need to be making?

I have a century this weekend; I'm looking forward to the ride but not the subsequent pain.

If this helps, I haven't had any bouts with IT-band pain in the last 18 months or so-this just started flaring up.

Things to look at:

Position difference...if your saddle height and setback are the same, your road bike position probably has lower handlebars. This lengthening of the back may cause the IT Band pain.

Different pedals: Float or cleat position between road and MTB equipment.

Q-Factor difference between your road and MTB equipment.

Things that can help that I have found in books (eg. "Andy Pruitt's Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists") and other internet resources:

Make sure your foot is as far to the outside of the pedal as possible (adjust cleats and perhaps add washer inside pedals).

Don't angle the feet toe-in. If possible have the heal slightly closer to the crank than your big toe.

Use orthotics, particularly to raise the outside of your foot at the ball. Try to avoid a knees-out bow-legged pedal stroke. Bringing the knee in too far however can lead to pain on the inside of the knee (inflammation of the medial patellar femoral ligament).

Tend towards more movement in the cleats (too rigid cleats can be a contributing cause).

Lower the seat 7mm (which I think you said you have done)

Position the seat more forward

Don't ride with any pain, it only aggravates the inflammation. Regularly ice and take anti-inflammatories until swelling and pain subsides, THEN resume riding.

Hope this helps.

i agree with spunout. try raising your bars to see if you get some relief.
i was riding with a huge...HUGE drop from saddle to bars, and i would say (from my experience)that it puts alot of stress on the it-band.
after having some severe it, and piriformis issues myself i found that stretching was the only cure for me. i did get a bike with a longer ht, but the pain was there even on easy rides. and it was crushing the following day! after stretching religously the pain was gone. i even dropped my bars back to the height on my old bike. the it/piriformis acted up just a tad (got tight), but never got out of control because of the stretching.

When you say you are stretching, exactly what does that entail?

As a certified personal trainer, I advocate Self Myofacial Release (SMR) using a foam roller such as this:
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/self-myofascial-release.html

My guess is that the stretching you are doing isn't fully relieving the muscle imbalance that you have. YMMV

neilkod said:
I've been experimenting with my saddle height lately-I've found that if I raise it, I'm quite stronger on the hills.

I've also gotten into mountain biking. A lot. Over the last few years, I'd ride 90% road, 10% mountian. Now(in terms of hours), I'm riding about 70% mountain, 30% road. If it helps, I managed to stay on my road bike all winter; now that spring is here, I've been mtb'ing like crazy.

Having said that, each and every time I finish up on the road bike, my IT-band flares up. I'm stretching/cooling, trying to do all the right things. If it helps, it doesn't bother me when mountain biking.

I've tried lowering my saddle height but now that doesn't seem to help-regardless of how much seatpost I show, my IT-band always hurts afterward. Are there any other adjustments I need to be making?

I have a century this weekend; I'm looking forward to the ride but not the subsequent pain.

If this helps, I haven't had any bouts with IT-band pain in the last 18 months or so-this just started flaring up.