A few questions about pedals/shoes

Nick09

Aug 10, 2009
I have been looking at pedals/shoes or the past few weeks, and have a few questions. First, I am fairly sure that i am going to go for the Speedplay Zero Chromoly pedals. I only want to spend about 250ish dollars of my summer money. ( I am hoping that the pedals will be between 125-150.)

1. Websites do not advertise if the cleats are included with the purchase of the pedals. Do they?

2. If anyone is familiar with theses pedals/cleats, can you tell me if there is any difference between the 3-hole mount and 4-hole mount? Do the different mounts make a difference of what shoe I buy?

3. Does hardware for both mounts come included with the purchase of the pedals?

4. Does anyone recommend a specific shoe? Right now I am looking at Diadora of Sidi. (Remember I only have about 100-120 left to spend after the pedals.)

Thanks in advance.

Nick09 said:
1. Websites do not advertise if the cleats are included with the purchase of the pedals. Do they?

Yes, cleats are included with the pedals.

2. If anyone is familiar with theses pedals/cleats, can you tell me if there is any difference between the 3-hole mount and 4-hole mount? Do the different mounts make a difference of what shoe I buy?

The four hole plate was useful in the days when Time cleats and Time compatible shoes had 4 screw mounting. The benefit to that, for Speedplay, was that it decreased the distance from shoe to pedal axle (stack height). Now, I don't know that anyone is making a 4 hole shoe. Time now uses a 3 hole cleat, and nearly every shoe, for road riding, has that three hole pattern.

3. Does hardware for both mounts come included with the purchase of the pedals?
You'll get everything you need to mount and use the pedals.

4. Does anyone recommend a specific shoe? Right now I am looking at Diadora of Sidi. (Remember I only have about 100-120 left to spend after the pedals.)

Recommending shoes is like recommending underwear: someone else's taste or opinion really doesn't count for anything. What you need to do is try on a bunch of shoes to find which fits and suits your feet best. Sidi, Shimano, Specialized, Lake, and Northwave are just a few of the excellent shoe makers out there.