A few thoughts on growing older -- with help from a bike



P

Pinky

Guest
Of course like everyone else I had a bike when I was a boy -- but mine was a
huge heavy thing with a 3 speed "Sturmey Archer". ( Sp?) Living on the top
of a hill I can still remember when I grew strong enough to be able to cycle
all the way home from school without getting off to push.( in about 1949
when I was 12 yrs old).

My seven year older brother had a "racing bike" -- also with a similar three
speed 3 speed and, later, it saw me through my college days before I joined
the army. My memories of that time is that each spring time I would strip
the bike down as far as I could and clean and then regrease the bearings
and so on. I certainly don't remember ever replacing them with new bearings,
chains and so on.
I then had a "gap period" --of my adult life until at about at 65 and a
bit years old -- 2 1/2 years ago when I had gone through a hugely obese
period ( too much booze , too much food and for about 5 years no exercise)
and had whittled it down to about 90 kg I was looking for a way of knocking
off a bit more weight.

I met a young lady ( a friend of my younger son and his wife) who had walked
about 1500 kms on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. To cut a long story
short I decided to do a similar thing but a bit harder & longer (from my
front door) and to go all the way by bike/tent.

I remember going into J E James of Rotherham ( who are a good LBS ) at 65
years old and saying that I was going to cycle/camp to Spain -- and asking
for advice. I am sure that they though I was more than slightly mad. So I
bought my Dawes Discovery 501 at the end of October 2003 and by the
beginning of December started a daily training schedule -- learning all sort
of things and also making modifications to my new bike as I went along.
Before I set off I had done some 1500 miles in progressively loaded training
days.
I left home at 0830 hrs on Friday 26 March 2004 and eventually arrived in
Santiago on 11 May with 2340.3 kms on the clock.

So, since starting just over 2 years ago, I have managed to do over 10,000
miles -- nothing very spectacular -- just trundling along averaging about 10
mph on ordinary sort of "bumpy" days. I cycle every day doing at least 12
miles but aiming to do 20 miles a day. I do all my shopping trips by bike
( except for the toilet rolls./ kitchen towels run )

Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this years
magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up the Mosel and
back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms..

I have had a hiatus when my well loved velo was purloined, on 12 December
last ( cable snipped and off into the back of a van), but I now am starting
the new seasons training on my new bike.

Did a gentle 20 miles yesterday ( Sunday) to get used to the new foibles and
found a few faults -- and I did my own little thing with my black arm band
( it is very necessary to do this even when one is on ones own).
I have also locked up the wine cellar and thrown away the key until I get
back from Rotterdam at the end of June

I am already looking at a coast to coast, West to East, cycle/camp, across
the USA for 2007. I don't know if I shall be able to afford it, but I fancy
seeing the US from the saddle of a bike, in a slow, gentlemanly way, in my
70th year taking about 3 to 4 months. Never been there -- all my travels
across the world have been Eastwards. If I don't do it then I suspect it
will never happen -- like many things I haven't managed to do!

My 98 year old dad says I ought to stop ( and he still goes out on the
community bus 3 times a week!) but I would much rather drop dead on the
bike, doing my thing, than sit at home making scratch marks on the wall!

Well that's a somewhat different sort of post but, hey, I am approaching my
second childhood -- so I wear my helmet all the time to protect my brain
when I am doing the odd wheelie!

Hopefully you have not all been too bored.


--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
Remove PSANTISPAM to reply
 
M

MSeries

Guest
Pinky wrote:
> Of course like everyone else I had a bike when I was a boy -- but mine was a
> huge heavy thing with a 3 speed "Sturmey Archer". ( Sp?) Living on the top
> of a hill I can still remember when I grew strong enough to be able to cycle
> all the way home from school without getting off to push.( in about 1949
> when I was 12 yrs old).
>
> My seven year older brother had a "racing bike" -- also with a similar three
> speed 3 speed and, later, it saw me through my college days before I joined
> the army. My memories of that time is that each spring time I would strip
> the bike down as far as I could and clean and then regrease the bearings
> and so on. I certainly don't remember ever replacing them with new bearings,
> chains and so on.
> I then had a "gap period" --of my adult life until at about at 65 and a
> bit years old -- 2 1/2 years ago when I had gone through a hugely obese
> period ( too much booze , too much food and for about 5 years no exercise)
> and had whittled it down to about 90 kg I was looking for a way of knocking
> off a bit more weight.
>
> I met a young lady ( a friend of my younger son and his wife) who had walked
> about 1500 kms on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. To cut a long story
> short I decided to do a similar thing but a bit harder & longer (from my
> front door) and to go all the way by bike/tent.
>
> I remember going into J E James of Rotherham ( who are a good LBS ) at 65
> years old and saying that I was going to cycle/camp to Spain -- and asking
> for advice. I am sure that they though I was more than slightly mad. So I
> bought my Dawes Discovery 501 at the end of October 2003 and by the
> beginning of December started a daily training schedule -- learning all sort
> of things and also making modifications to my new bike as I went along.
> Before I set off I had done some 1500 miles in progressively loaded training
> days.
> I left home at 0830 hrs on Friday 26 March 2004 and eventually arrived in
> Santiago on 11 May with 2340.3 kms on the clock.
>
> So, since starting just over 2 years ago, I have managed to do over 10,000
> miles -- nothing very spectacular -- just trundling along averaging about 10
> mph on ordinary sort of "bumpy" days. I cycle every day doing at least 12
> miles but aiming to do 20 miles a day. I do all my shopping trips by bike
> ( except for the toilet rolls./ kitchen towels run )
>
> Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this years
> magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up the Mosel and
> back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms..
>
> I have had a hiatus when my well loved velo was purloined, on 12 December
> last ( cable snipped and off into the back of a van), but I now am starting
> the new seasons training on my new bike.
>
> Did a gentle 20 miles yesterday ( Sunday) to get used to the new foibles and
> found a few faults -- and I did my own little thing with my black arm band
> ( it is very necessary to do this even when one is on ones own).
> I have also locked up the wine cellar and thrown away the key until I get
> back from Rotterdam at the end of June
>
> I am already looking at a coast to coast, West to East, cycle/camp, across
> the USA for 2007. I don't know if I shall be able to afford it, but I fancy
> seeing the US from the saddle of a bike, in a slow, gentlemanly way, in my
> 70th year taking about 3 to 4 months. Never been there -- all my travels
> across the world have been Eastwards. If I don't do it then I suspect it
> will never happen -- like many things I haven't managed to do!
>
> My 98 year old dad says I ought to stop ( and he still goes out on the
> community bus 3 times a week!) but I would much rather drop dead on the
> bike, doing my thing, than sit at home making scratch marks on the wall!
>
> Well that's a somewhat different sort of post but, hey, I am approaching my
> second childhood -- so I wear my helmet all the time to protect my brain
> when I am doing the odd wheelie!
>
> Hopefully you have not all been too bored.
>
>


Nice one Pinky.
 
S

Steve W

Guest
Top man !
An inspiration. And the good news is that I have a good few years in me
yet.
At a mere 57 and looking forward to my retirement so that I have more time,
it's one of the few things you can't buy and it's also one of the most
valuable commodities.

SW
"
 
M

MatSav

Guest
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:20:27 GMT, "Pinky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>I met a young lady ( a friend of my younger son and his wife) who had walked
>about 1500 kms on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. To cut a long story
>short I decided to do a similar thing but a bit harder & longer (from my
>front door) and to go all the way by bike/tent....


>I left home at 0830 hrs on Friday 26 March 2004 and eventually arrived in
>Santiago on 11 May with 2340.3 kms on the clock.
>
>So, since starting just over 2 years ago, I have managed to do over 10,000
>miles...
>
>Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this years
>magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up the Mosel and
>back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms...


>I am already looking at a coast to coast, West to East, cycle/camp, across
>the USA for 2007. I don't know if I shall be able to afford it, but I fancy
>seeing the US from the saddle of a bike, in a slow, gentlemanly way, in my
>70th year taking about 3 to 4 months....


Inspirational! It puts my 40-something fat body to shame.

>My 98 year old dad says I ought to stop...


Why? Surely you're old enough to make your own decisions now? :)

>Hopefully you have not all been too bored.


I certainly haven't. I do hope your plan comes to fruition.

--
MatSav
 
J

John Hearns

Guest
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:20:27 +0000, Pinky wrote:
>
> I met a young lady ( a friend of my younger son and his wife) who had
> walked about 1500 kms on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. To cut a
> long story short I decided to do a similar thing but a bit harder & longer
> (from my front door) and to go all the way by bike/tent.

There's a good book from someone who walked the route.
I had no idea it was so popular.

>
> So, since starting just over 2 years ago, I have managed to do over 10,000
> miles

Respect is due!

>
> My 98 year old dad says I ought to stop ( and he still goes out on the
> community bus 3 times a week!) but I would much rather drop dead on the
> bike, doing my thing, than sit at home making scratch marks on the wall!

Bor
 
R

Rich

Guest

> Well that's a somewhat different sort of post but, hey, I am approaching
> my
> second childhood -- so I wear my helmet all the time to protect my brain
> when I am doing the odd wheelie!
>
> Hopefully you have not all been too bored.
>


Bored? NO!

Congratulations Pinky, that was really interesting to read, and a foretaste
for most of us of what is to come - for some sooner than others. I look
forward to reading about your trip through the USA.
 
L

LSMike

Guest
Pinky wrote:

<snip excellent tale>

> Hopefully you have not all been too bored.


Not at all, thanks for sharing!
 
A

Alex Potter

Guest
Pinky wrote on Monday 16 January 2006 19:20:

<snipped a lovely tale>

> Hopefully you have not all been too bored.
>

Not in the least! Thankyou very much.
--
Regards
Alex
The From address above is a spam-trap.
The Reply-To address is valid
 
T

Tosspot

Guest
Pinky wrote:

<snip>

> Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this years
> magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up the Mosel and
> back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms..


So you'll be around my neck of the woods then. If you do it drop me a
line, we'll meet at Deutsches Eck for a Pils.

<snip>

> Hopefully you have not all been too bored.


No not at all. Good read.
 
S

sothach

Guest
Tosspot wrote:
> Pinky wrote:
> > Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this years
> > magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up the Mosel and
> > back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms..

>
> So you'll be around my neck of the woods then. If you do it drop me a
> line, we'll meet at Deutsches Eck for a Pils.


How about making it Cochem or Trabby Trabant or somewhere further up
the valley: fabulous cycling along the Mosel and I'd ride up from Lux
(nice Kebab shop in Cochem, too...)

> > Hopefully you have not all been too bored.


Kewl!
 
P

Pinky

Guest
"Tosspot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Pinky wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this years
>> magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up the Mosel and
>> back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms..

>
> So you'll be around my neck of the woods then. If you do it drop me a
> line, we'll meet at Deutsches Eck for a Pils.
>
> <snip>



Interesting.

I have found 2 Deutsches Eck's on or near my route. One is at Koblenz right
on the confluence of the Mosel and the Rhine. The other is near
üsseldorf --- Meerbusch on the left bank of the Rhein. I have added your
email address to my "Rhein 2006 file!

It will have to be a bottle of wine though!!!!!!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
Remove PSANTISPAM to reply
 
T

Tosspot

Guest
sothach wrote:
> Tosspot wrote:
>
>>Pinky wrote:
>>
>>>Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this years
>>>magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up the Mosel and
>>>back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms..

>>
>>So you'll be around my neck of the woods then. If you do it drop me a
>>line, we'll meet at Deutsches Eck for a Pils.

>
>
> How about making it Cochem or Trabby Trabant or somewhere further up
> the valley: fabulous cycling along the Mosel and I'd ride up from Lux
> (nice Kebab shop in Cochem, too...)


The heart of the Mosel wine region and he wants a Kebab. <sigh> There's
no educating some people.

I'll post it up here if I get an e-mail.
 
T

Tosspot

Guest
Pinky wrote:

<snip>

> Interesting.
>
> I have found 2 Deutsches Eck's on or near my route. One is at Koblenz right
> on the confluence of the Mosel and the Rhine. The other is near
> üsseldorf --- Meerbusch on the left bank of the Rhein. I have added your
> email address to my "Rhein 2006 file!
>
> It will have to be a bottle of wine though!!!!!!


Excellent. The kebab snaffler up there --^ is also interested. I was
thinking of the one in Koblenz, because you *cannot* miss it. Teutonic
does not go far enough.
 
A

Ambrose Nankivell

Guest
Tosspot wrote:
> sothach wrote:
>> Tosspot wrote:
>>
>>> Pinky wrote:
>>>
>>>> Last year I "did" the Danube down and up ( over 3000 kms) and this
>>>> years magnum opus is to be down the Rhein ( with an offshoot up
>>>> the Mosel and back). Not quite so far --- about 2000 kms..
>>>
>>> So you'll be around my neck of the woods then. If you do it drop
>>> me a line, we'll meet at Deutsches Eck for a Pils.

>>
>>
>> How about making it Cochem or Trabby Trabant or somewhere further up
>> the valley: fabulous cycling along the Mosel and I'd ride up from Lux
>> (nice Kebab shop in Cochem, too...)

>
> The heart of the Mosel wine region and he wants a Kebab. <sigh>


Well, duh! After imbibing a touch freely, it's what anyone wants. Although
I'd have thought felafel was a bit more appropriate in Germany.

I remember some of my best days of cycling ever being there. On borrowed
three speeds that were dire, but hey, it was the place and the view that
made it special.
--
Ambrose
 
Hello Trevor

I was forwarded your account by my son and tried to reply using the
link shown. my email was returned to me, so now i have signed up to
Google search to try again. I wondered if there was a mistake in the
email address i used first time.

I was very interested in your adventures. My husband and i (70 & 62)
rode the North Sea Route during 2004, taking 4 months and camping most
of the time. This year we are planning to ride from greenwich to
Santiago del Compostela, starting in June and taking 3 months away.
This should allow some time to explore France too. I wondered if you
might be able to answer a few questions about your ride ? i could
phone you if you are willing to send me your phone number.

best regards
Liz Delap
 

Similar threads