a fidgety Campy ergo ft. der. shifter ?

tblairhug

Feb 13, 2010
Any one have issues with a ft. der. ergo shifter ( 2009 )

mine sometime sticks, & can't get the chain back up on the big ring....
then I have to dismount, fiddle with the cable for a minute, for it to eventually start pulling again.

Do I have to rebuild the whole thing- or is there a simpler fix?

Thanks for feedback!:)

Check the cable guide underneath the bottom bracket. When this gets gunked up, shifting can become exactly as you describe. Also, you should be sure there aren't any tight kinks in the cable and that your front derailleur is properly set up (i.e., the stop limits are correct, the cable tension is correct).

What you're seeing is definitely not normal behavior for any Campy shifter or derailleur. I'll bet that cable guide underneath the BB is gunked up. If it is, clean it thoroughly and lube the cable there.

thanks for this input-

and

that's not the case. I just double- check & re-ubed it... no crimps, no gunk.

I'll see what happens on my ride tomorrow...
:D

Also, check to be sure that the FD is at the proper height and angled properly. If it's not the BB guide, then there's something awry in the setup. Here are the instructions for setting up your FD.

OK- thanks-- I've got a hard copy & will check it out...

are you a mechanic or something?:cool:

tblairhug said:
OK- thanks-- I've got a hard copy & will check it out...

are you a mechanic or something?:cool:

I've been wrenching on my own bikes for a while. You should give it a go. Working on bikes really isn't difficult. You'll find that a lot of folks on this and other bike forums work on their bikes. Of course said forums also have their share of professional or people purporting to be professional bike mechanics.

I do most of my own work -- too, except installing headsets & things that take tools I don't have...

this is the first I've used this forum-- seems like a good resource-

thanks!:)

tblairhug said:
Any one have issues with a ft. der. ergo shifter ( 2009 )

mine sometime sticks, & can't get the chain back up on the big ring....
then I have to dismount, fiddle with the cable for a minute, for it to eventually start pulling again.

Do I have to rebuild the whole thing- or is there a simpler fix?

Thanks for feedback!:)

Is it you cannot move the shift lever? If so the hood or bar tape may be 'fouling' the thumb button, allowing it to be down a wee bit which will make the shift lever jam..check for smooth movement of the thumb button.

Peter@vecchios said:
Is it you cannot move the shift lever? If so the hood or bar tape may be 'fouling' the thumb button, allowing it to be down a wee bit which will make the shift lever jam..check for smooth movement of the thumb button.

you may be right-- on today's ride- I had the same problem... couldn't get back up to the big ring... & after fiddling with the hood, it finally worked. so I'm going to be trimming the hood away some more-- don't know why it moves so--- but it is a likely suspect.

when I finally get the shifter to click up- it does great.

Hope I solve this mystery before my upcoming Labor Day Century!

tblairhug said:
you may be right-- on today's ride- I had the same problem... couldn't get back up to the big ring... & after fiddling with the hood, it finally worked. so I'm going to be trimming the hood away some more-- don't know why it moves so--- but it is a likely suspect.

when I finally get the shifter to click up- it does great.

Hope I solve this mystery before my upcoming Labor Day Century!

It seems that part of the hood- somehow- gets wriggled over into a position where a part of it is caught in the ratcheting mechanism... I've snipped the rubber back considerably - more than I've ever done before--

and it's lessening the problem. thanks for the input!!!:rolleyes: