A fundamental flaw with bikes/cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'd rather have posters add the extra letters required to spell words correctly rather
than eliminate chrctrs to make their lines shorter!

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:36:00 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 12 Jun 2003 10:20:00 -0700, Ben Pfaff <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> [1] The two together mean your original text had better be under 76, and better under 72,
>>> chracters. You need to allow for a few levels of quoting chracters.
>>
>>RFC 1855 recommends 65 characters per line.
>
>That sounds overly conservative. Very rarely do I see people recommending under 72 or 70. Nothing
>wronmg with being overly conservative, per se, but you should know that that's what you're doing.
>Also depends how good the groups you write in are about snipping -- very rarely do you really need
>more than three levels of quoting. 65 characters allows for cascades.
>
>Jasper

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:20:04 GMT, Mark in Maine <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:36:00 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

>>That sounds overly conservative. Very rarely do I see people recommending under 72 or 70. Nothing
>>wronmg with being overly conservative, per se, but you should know that that's what you're doing.
>>Also depends how good the groups you write in are about snipping -- very rarely do you really need
>>more than three levels of quoting. 65 characters allows for cascades.

>Personally, I'd rather have posters add the extra letters required to spell words correctly rather
>than eliminate chrctrs to make their lines shorter!

How ironic that the only typo I made involved an *extra* character, rather than a missed one..

Jasper

In article <[email protected]>, "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Such as???
>
> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > (snip) ..... I've just pointed out that there are long-standing posting conventions, and there
> > are excellent reasons to adhere to them.

Sigh. Were you not paying attention? I posted about a dozen Web pages a couple of days ago with
information about posting etiquette. I'm sure you can find it in a matter of seconds if you're
really interested and not just sniping.

In article <[email protected]>, "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Think about where a curser is/was placed on a DOS based OS twenty years ago. The machine dictated
> bottom "bottom" posting not some agreed upon protocol.

The newsgroup conventions and the precursors to Usenet predated DOS and weren't subject to Bill
Gates's lack of imagination.

> In this case bottom posting is more habit than anything else.

That is incorrect.

In article <[email protected]>, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I top post or bottom post, depending on what the other person did. Sometimes, I'll top post simply
> because someone can get the gist without reading the stuff at the bottom.

In which case that stuff should be trimmed because it is unneeded to make your point. As I did with
this reply to your post. It takes two or three seconds and a modicum of thought, which seems to be
what most top posters are trying to avoid.

In article <[email protected]>, "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote:

> LOL.. You just went and wasted some long-held beliefs some of these folks had.. They will wake
> tomorrow feeling cheated and vindictive... (and I'm still laughing.. )

And easily amused, apparently.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:16:13 -0700, "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Think about where a curser is/was placed on a DOS based OS twenty years ago. The machine dictated
>bottom "bottom" posting not some agreed upon protocol.
>
>In this case bottom posting is more habit than anything else.

editing text -- this means WordPerfect (4.2) and for those from an even earlier era WordStar --
placed the cursor top left. Just like Word XP does.

Jasper

well, I think you are a beautiful person.

zeldabee wrote:

> Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Top Sirloin <[email protected]>:
> > >
> > > I stopped fighting top posters a lot time ago - it take a lot less time to killfile them.
> > >
> > Do you killfile people with .sigs which are too long? Or don't fill in the subject properly?
> >
> > Killfile rude, obnoxious people, but surely not those with a simple postinmg preference?
>
> I sometimes killfile people with obnoxious posting preferences. If their posts aren't interesting
> enough to compensate for the annoyance of reading them, I stop bothering.
>
> HTH.
>
> --
> z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

And I think he lives with his head up his ****... ;-)

Danny

"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> well, I think you are a beautiful person.
>
> zeldabee wrote:
>
> > Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Top Sirloin <[email protected]>:
> > > >
> > > > I stopped fighting top posters a lot time ago - it take a lot less time to killfile them.
> > > >
> > > Do you killfile people with .sigs which are too long? Or don't fill in the subject properly?
> > >
> > > Killfile rude, obnoxious people, but surely not those with a simple postinmg preference?
> >
> > I sometimes killfile people with obnoxious posting preferences. If their posts aren't
> > interesting enough to compensate for the annoyance of
reading
> > them, I stop bothering.
> >
> > HTH.
> >
> > --
> > z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

People top post because that is where by default the cursor is placed when one hits the reply button

the cursor [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > As I said in a previous post, top posting doesn't make the contribution any less worthy.
>
> Top posting makes the discussion harder to follow. Sometimes the content of top posted
> contributions is worth reading, but it is amazing how consistently it is not. Why do people top
> post anyway? Maybe they haven't taken the trouble to find out what the convention is, or they're
> too arrogant to believe it should apply to them, or possibly it is the default mode of their
> newsreader and they either cannot be bothered or cannot work out how to get round it. Maybe they
> just do it to be provocative. If any of the above explains a particular top poster what does that
> suggest about the likely worth of their contributions?
>
> To get back on topic I really enjoyed the troll that started this thread. :)

In rec.bicycles.misc Default <user_sucking@the_host.smooth> wrote:
: The point is, I'm referring to the pedal cranck-wheel which is always on the right-hand side. Why
: don't they put the crancks on the left side too (and have two chains)? (duh..)? Or have it in the
: middle!!

Some cheap recumbents did put the on the left side ;)

: done so since a very early age, but now I've noticed in the last couple of months that my right
: leg is fatter than my left, ie. it has more muscular development than my left leg.

Happens in snowboarding too, the back leg gets more muscle. My left leg is fatter because I put the
right on in the front...

Dunno about cycling.

Stopped cross-posting replies.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

Status
Not open for further replies.