A fundamental flaw with bikes/cycles

Why (the hell) hasn't the form of the mechanism of bikes ever changed/improved? I mean bikes have
essentially stayed the same since they were first invented. The point is, I'm referring to the pedal
cranck-wheel which is always on the right-hand side. Why don't they put the crancks on the left side
too (and have two chains)? (duh..)? Or have it in the middle!! I've been cycling pretty consistently
for a few months and have regularly done so since a very early age, but now I've noticed in the last
couple of months that my right leg is fatter than my left, ie. it has more muscular development than
my left leg. What's the point of that? If only the engineers would put a little imagination into it.
The whole point of cycling is making me really very angry!!

"Default" <user_sucking@the_host.smooth> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Why (the hell) hasn't the form of the mechanism of bikes ever changed/improved? I mean bikes have
> essentially stayed the same since they were first invented. The point is, I'm referring to the
> pedal cranck-wheel which is always on
the
> right-hand side. Why don't they put the crancks on the left side too (and have two chains)?
> (duh..)? Or have it in the middle!! I've been cycling pretty consistently for a few months and
> have regularly done so since a very early age, but now I've noticed in the last couple of months
> that my right leg is fatter than my left, ie. it has more muscular development than my left leg.
> What's the point of that? If only the engineers would put a little imagination into it. The whole
> point of cycling is making me really very angry!!

I hope this is a troll.

Personally, I actually took off my left pedal and crank. Its just a waste of weight. I also
amputated my left leg at the hip. Now I'm so much faster, and only slightly gangrenous.

Jon Bond

Default wrote:
> Why (the hell) hasn't the form of the mechanism of bikes ever changed/improved? I mean bikes have
> essentially stayed the same since they were first invented.

[troll snipped]

Actually, there are bikes in which the circular motion of the pedals has been replaced with a
linear, up/down motion, which is more efficient.

> Why (the hell) hasn't the form of the mechanism of bikes ever changed/improved? I mean bikes have
> essentially stayed the same since they were first invented. The point is, I'm referring to the
> pedal cranck-wheel which is always on the right-hand side. Why don't they put the crancks on the
> left side too (and have two chains)? (duh..)? Or have it in the middle!! I've been cycling pretty
> consistently for a few months and have regularly done so since a very early age, but now I've
> noticed in the last couple of months that my right leg is fatter than my left, ie. it has more
> muscular development than my left leg. What's the point of that? If only the engineers would put a
> little imagination into it. The whole point of cycling is making me really very angry!!

Try a Harley-Davidson or a Kawasaki. They have very different mechanisms. Your legs will feel much
better and you'll be happier.

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 00:23:18 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Why (the hell) hasn't the form of the mechanism of bikes ever changed/improved? I mean bikes have
>> essentially stayed the same since they were first invented. The point is, I'm referring to the
>> pedal cranck-wheel which is always on the right-hand side. I've been cycling pretty consistently
>> for a few months and have regularly done so since a very early age, but now I've noticed in the
>> last couple of months that my right leg is fatter than my left, ie. it has more muscular
>> development than my left leg. What's the point of that?
>
>Personally, I actually took off my left pedal and crank. Its just a waste of weight. I also
>amputated my left leg at the hip. Now I'm so much faster, and only slightly gangrenous.
>
>Jon Bond

You are well behind the times John. The latest generation of cyclists are amputating their ears to
improve the laminar air flow around the side of their heads.

I'm curious as to what happens when your remaining leg gets cramp though. Wouldn't your bike sport
surgeon who follows you in the support car need several hours to reattach your other leg? I think
you may find you lose a race in the future because of your mindless fettish on weight.

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more details

In article <[email protected]>, "Default" <user_sucking@the_host.smooth> wrote:

> Why (the hell) hasn't the form of the mechanism of bikes ever changed/improved? I mean bikes have
> essentially stayed the same since they were first invented. The point is, I'm referring to the
> pedal cranck-wheel which is always on the right-hand side. Why don't they put the crancks on the
> left side too (and have two chains)? (duh..)? Or have it in the middle!! I've been cycling pretty
> consistently for a few months and have regularly done so since a very early age, but now I've
> noticed in the last couple of months that my right leg is fatter than my left, ie. it has more
> muscular development than my left leg. What's the point of that? If only the engineers would put a
> little imagination into it. The whole point of cycling is making me really very angry!!

Clearly you are the perfect candidate for riding an Ordinary!

Where? Got any pics of such a machine?

chris

In article <[email protected]>, "Default" <user_sucking@the_host.smooth> writes:

>Why (the hell) hasn't the form of the mechanism of bikes ever changed/improved? I mean bikes have
>essentially stayed the same since they were first invented. The point is, I'm referring to the
>pedal cranck-wheel which is always on the right-hand side. Why don't they put the crancks on the
>left side too (and have two chains)? (duh..)? Or have it in the middle!! I've been cycling pretty
>consistently for a few months and have regularly done so since a very early age, but now I've
>noticed in the last couple of months that my right leg is fatter than my left, ie. it has more
>muscular development than my left leg. What's the point of that? If only the engineers would put a
>little imagination into it. The whole point of cycling is making me really very angry!!

That's what we get for having the stupidity to use something is essentially unchanged since 1885
when J.K. Starley of England introduced his "Rover Safety Bicycle." (per Scientific American, March
1973). Now that someone has revealed the travesty (sure took long enough) we can get going. All we
need to do is put two back wheels on the bike and have the chain down the middle. *All* we need is a
differential to keep the wheels from scuffing when cornering.

Until this can be accomplished we can combat your asymetry by outfitting you with a "Penny Farthing"
or, if the altitude proves troublesome, Hot Wheels.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

[email protected] (TBGibb) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Until this can be accomplished we can combat your asymetry by outfitting you with a "Penny
> Farthing" or, if the altitude proves troublesome, Hot Wheels.

Check it out, the ultimate symetric drive human powered vehicle. High tech titanium construction.
Super stable ride. Rear suspension. Weighs under 20 pounds. Price is only $850.

http://216.247.25.241/miva/merchant.mv? Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LS&Product_Code=T&Category_Code=

In article <[email protected]>, "Default" <user_sucking@the_host.smooth> writes:

> Why don't they put the crancks on the left side too (and have two chains)?

You might be interested to have a look at: "Subject 8i.4 Alenax Bicycle" in the FAQ, which is
located at: http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/

cheers, Tom