A funny thing happened during snowmelt season

Ron Wallenfang

Guest
Namely, Milwaukee welcomed spring with a 12 inch snowstorm yesterday,
bringing the total for the year to 95 or so, the second snowiest on
record (which goes back to around 1870). We're lucky. Madison and
Green Bay are having their snowiest.

This happened about the time the showmelt had reached about the half-
way point.

I did get a bike ride in and avoided a zero, but by going out and
doing 6 miles just after mid-night, before the snow started.

I had two inch wide studded snow tires for a couple years back in the
1990s, but decided they weren't worth it. They're great on ice, but
no advantage with loose snow, and unneeded on packed snow. The few
times they're an advantage did not offset their excessive noise and
reduction in speed. Maybe it would have been better with a thinner
tire.

I've only done a mile so far today, but plan to do more, as the roads
are just rounding into shape. It's up to 40F and sunny and they are
improving rapidly.

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
> Namely, Milwaukee welcomed spring with a 12 inch snowstorm yesterday,
> bringing the total for the year to 95 or so, the second snowiest on
> record (which goes back to around 1870). We're lucky. Madison and
> Green Bay are having their snowiest.

I annoyed people by commenting on how it was a beautiful spring day.

> This happened about the time the showmelt had reached about the half-
> way point.
>
> I did get a bike ride in and avoided a zero, but by going out and
> doing 6 miles just after mid-night, before the snow started.

You probably could have done a long ride to about 4 AM before the real
snow started.

> I had two inch wide studded snow tires for a couple years back in the
> 1990s, but decided they weren't worth it. They're great on ice, but
> no advantage with loose snow, and unneeded on packed snow. The few
> times they're an advantage did not offset their excessive noise and
> reduction in speed. Maybe it would have been better with a thinner
> tire.
>
> I've only done a mile so far today, but plan to do more, as the roads
> are just rounding into shape. It's up to 40F and sunny and they are
> improving rapidly.

They must plow better in the NW suburbs. Most of the side streets in
Milwaukee were not plowed at all yesterday, leading to a bumpy layer of
icy packed snow under the new snowfall.