A funny thing I saw on my ride in this morning

Carl Brewer

Guest
Here's one for the second glance to make sure it's real department.

Riding in to Melbourne along St kilda Rd, noodling in E1 in to a
reasonable headwind cold northerly, overtaken by a bloke in SHM
kit (full kit) and a small backpack. I didn't pay much attention, but
grabbed his wheel (recovery day for me, yesterday I took advantage of
a day off and a *beautiful* Melbourne winter day to do a pretty decent
day's riding). All I saw from the back was a roadbike with a rusty
looking mudguard over its back wheel - like on an old tourer.

So it's my turn to roll through, and I come past him, and the bike
is a ....

Colango C40 or C50.

With a manky old mudguard on it.

I'd love to see him park it at Cafe ****** one
morning with the St K latte mob and see their reactions!

makes more sense to protect a good bike with a guard than a shitter, IMHO

maybe he hadnt had a chanc to source some CF or SKS raceguards ???

A bit of a novice here but what so special about these bikes.

BTW, google thinks there is also a bike called Colnago... though there
are also lots of hits with the Colango spelling, lots more with
Colnago....
Not sure if they are the same bike.

On 20 Jul 2005 18:42:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>A bit of a novice here but what so special about these bikes.

They're -very- expensive, they rate very high on the wankometer.
Putting a rusty old mudguard on one would make most of
the "the only good bike is Italian" set very upset.

>BTW, google thinks there is also a bike called Colnago... though there
>are also lots of hits with the Colango spelling, lots more with
>Colnago....
>Not sure if they are the same bike.

Mea Culpa. I can't spel

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:17:45 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>makes more sense to protect a good bike with a guard than a shitter,
>IMHO

Sure, but very few people would buy a colnago for practical
reasons.

>maybe he hadnt had a chanc to source some CF or SKS raceguards ???

I didn't think to look closely at how the thing was attached, but
AFAIK, C40's don't exactly have mounting holes for mudguards
and they'd foul on a quickrelease?

Bit like a tow bar on a Rolls Royce
or fluffy dice on a Ferrari
or stuffed toys across the rear window of a Mercedes

or maybe a bell on a road bike

sinus said:
Bit like a tow bar on a Rolls Royce
or fluffy dice on a Ferrari
or stuffed toys across the rear window of a Mercedes

or maybe a bell on a road bike
oi! what's wrong with my bell?? :D

I still have the reflectors too...

(I have never had a flat on it either, but I'm not sure if this is coincidence or causal! ;) )

ali

alison_b said:
oi! what's wrong with my bell?? :D
I wonder if the Colnago also had a bell?

alison_b said:
I have never had a flat on it either
Make sure you have plenty of spare tubes next time you ride, now that you have challenged the puncture gods.

alison_b wrote:

> sinus Wrote:
> > Bit like a tow bar on a Rolls Royce
> > or fluffy dice on a Ferrari
> > or stuffed toys across the rear window of a Mercedes
> >
> > or maybe a bell on a road bike

> oi! what's wrong with my bell?? :D
>
> I still have the reflectors too...
>
> (I have never had a flat on it either, but I'm not sure if this is
> coincidence or causal! ;) )
>
> ali
>
> --
> alison_b

Gee ali, your bike could be almost as ugly as mine!

Tam

sinus said:
Bit like a tow bar on a Rolls Royce
or fluffy dice on a Ferrari
or stuffed toys across the rear window of a Mercedes

or maybe a bell on a road bike

<begin sooky voice> Ah, my road bikes gotta bell....whenever I start doing A*d*x it will have a postal rack too. & lotsa bidon cages. </end sooky voice>

Mind you, the commuter/tourers got everything plus Hello Kitty, but no GPS :D

cfsmtb said:
<begin sooky voice> Ah, my road bikes gotta bell....whenever I start doing A*d*x it will have a postal rack too. & lotsa bidon cages. </end sooky voice>

Mind you, the commuter/tourers got everything plus Hello Kitty, but no GPS :D
Does it have a basket on the handlebars? That would be so extreme it would be cool (sorry, fully sick).

sinus said:
Does it have a basket on the handlebars? That would be so extreme it would be cool (sorry, fully sick).

One of my Other *other* bikes, ie: the townie has fore and aft baskets. Très cool. Funny thing though, most people are more interested in the 150mm cranks & BMX seat post

Carl Brewer said:
On 20 Jul 2005 18:42:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>A bit of a novice here but what so special about these bikes.

>>They're -very- expensive, they rate very high on the wankometer.
>>Putting a rusty old mudguard on one would make most of
>>the "the only good bike is Italian" set very upset.

Aw cmon, Carl, not everyone who has a Colnago polishes it everyday and sits it up against the wall on Ackland St :p

I have a C40 and think it is the ducks nuts. Best frame i have ever ridden and handles riding in anger with gusto. True, the **** value is extremely high for these bikes but when it comes down to it, they do their job extremely well and last for ages.

Also, the greatest thing is, the richy coffee shop types want a new model every year so i can buy a frame for less than half the cost, that has never been riden in anger. I think Ronald Raygun called it "trickle down economics".

Carl Brewer wrote:

> They're -very- expensive, they rate very high on the wankometer.
> Putting a rusty old mudguard on one would make most of
> the "the only good bike is Italian" set very upset.

See Rasso's going to ride a poker-dotted one on the Champs.

Carl Brewer wrote:

> Colango C40 or C50.

> With a manky old mudguard on it.

I can't see the problem with this. My Colnago (a dream plus) currently has a Carradice Tour saddlebag (see http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-products.htm)

At least that way it gets some use :)

Thrashed expensive bikes are good.

Regards,

Suzy

Jay Woo wrote:

> See Rasso's going to ride a poker-dotted one on the Champs.

Bah! As you can see I don't have a huge grasp of words-an-that

Jay "polka-dotted face" Woo

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:59:02 +1000, byron27
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>> On 20 Jul 2005 18:42:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >A bit of a novice here but what so special about these bikes.

>Aw cmon, Carl, not everyone who has a Colnago polishes it everyday and
>sits it up against the wall on Ackland St :p

True, but they are disproportinatly represented.

>I have a C40 and think it is the ducks nuts. Best frame i have ever
>ridden and handles riding in anger with gusto. True, the **** value is
>extremely high for these bikes but when it comes down to it, they do
>their job extremely well and last for ages.

They're great bikes, that's not at issue :) But seeing
one with a mudguard is like, as pointed out already
by someone else, like seeing roofracks on a lotus Elise.

Anyway, I'm a bigger ****** than the wankiest Colango rider, I ride
a cheapo replica (I have a US Postal paintjob) of a Trek! Mine's
not even the real deal, it's the Al Alloy jobby painted to look
like a team bike. I should get a rice ticket ....

On 20 Jul 2005 21:13:41 -0700, "Jay Woo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>> They're -very- expensive, they rate very high on the wankometer.
>> Putting a rusty old mudguard on one would make most of
>> the "the only good bike is Italian" set very upset.

>See Rasso's going to ride a poker-dotted one on the Champs.

What're the odds Lance has a yellow Trek for the same stage?