A glorious 50 miles

Steph Peters

Guest
Sunday was the monthly Dawdling Doctors ride 'organised' by a local bike
shop, Bicycle Doctor. Web site was advertising Tour de Macclesfield, which
amounts to exit the suburbs, climb, climb a bit more, then do a circuit up
and down hills. Hills are not exactly Audrey's and my thing, but we thought
we'd start out with the group and part later, perhaps picking up another
back ender on the way. As things turned out I'm jolly glad we did.

Weather was fabulous, sunny and warm at 10am, got hotter later. 9 of us
hung around the meeting point putting on sunscreen and chatting, but the
leader didn't arrive, nor his substitute. So we decided to do our own
thing, which by common consent was not the Tour de Macclesfield. Stephen
(flash MTB having his monthly day off on roads) suggested heading to Tatton
Park, but as nearly all Dawdling Doctor rides go there I suggested another
route that I know without referring to a map. Turns out most of the group
are either not local or don't know any routes, so I got to be ride 'leader'
for the day.

From the Chorlton meeting point the only direction for reaching countryside
is south. We almost always slog up Styal road past the airport, which has
lots of traffic and a long steady depressing upward stretch. So I picked a
different set of suburbs (Northenden, Gatley, Cheadle, Bramhall, Woodford)
that does climb, flat, climb, flat ... I find this easier and therefore more
fun to ride. Not long after starting we go into a nice formation of me
first doing the route and Lucy second letting me know when everyone got
across junctions. This way I led to the bottom of the down and up dip to
the double roundabout at Dean Row. By the time we got to the top of the up,
I was near the back of the pack, and proceeded to lead from the back for the
rest of the day.

Getting to Dean Row was easy, Audrey and I had done that route a couple of
months back. From Dean Row we were headed to Henbury garden centre for the
lunch stop, a route I haven't cycled in more than 10 years. I was sure that
when I got to the junctions I'd recognise them and know where to go, but my
mind has jumbled up the order in which they arrive. The youngest rider out
was looking for some training for Manchester to Blackpool next week, and
found our pace a bit slow. He kept asking me where to go at the next
junction so he could ride ahead, and I kept saying don't know till I get
there. Most of the route seems to comprise road bends right, go up a hill,
or turn right then left, go up a hill. After all, we were going up
Alderley Edge, albeit the shallow face. Most people overtook Audrey and I
as we resumed our normal place at the back going up the hills. Have to give
credit to Stephen though, he not only played sweeper at the back, trundling
patiently along behind Audrey and I, but also followed the route on the map.

As we passed through Prestbury (ickly sweet village full of expensive homes
owned by Manchester footballers and the like) and up to the top of Alderley
Edge I kept being asked are we going to the Wizard, a cafe at the top of
Alderley Edge. Somehow, no we're going to Henbury didn't register because
no-one else knew the garden centre cafe there. I stuck to my plan, because
Henbury is very welcoming to cyclists, and provides a good starting point
for lots of options for the afternoon. I also justified it with the
prospect of a good down after all the morning's climbing, but failed to
mention that 90% of the down was after lunch ;-)

I hadn't really planned the afternoon, other than knowing I didn't intend to
Tatton, then one of the standard routes home, but the group was happy to let
me continue leading and go somewhere else. So it was onto consult the map
territory for a sweep west to Siddington, Lower Withington, north to
Marthall and then pick up a route I know back to Manchester from the west
side of Alderley Edge, basically flat with one big hill I planned to walk.

After feeding the inner cyclist, putting on more sun cream (thanks for the
reminder Audrey, but I got a red nose anyway) we tootled off south downhill
for a long gentle sweeping descent of about 3 miles to Redesmere near
Siddington. Lots of overfed ducks and swans, and an ice-cream van, so we
had a stop. I wish I'd had my camera here, cyclists eating ice-cream
watching the mere would have made a good photo, but the usual group
photographer wasn't out this time.

From Redesmere there's a little climb up to the A34, at this point a country
road that cars absolutely hammer down. Other than Stephen in his patient
sweeper position, the group split up on the hill and spread out all across
the junction, getting in the way of a car leaving the mere. A quick 100
yards south down the A34 and we turned west again into Siddington. There
were a couple of confused junctions where I was at the back with Audrey and
Stephen and the group was ahead; given that only Stephen and I had maps and
knew where we were going this was a bit foolish. Gradually the idea began
to dawn that letting me lead at a slow pace from the front worked rather
better than leaving me behind at the back. I was confident that Stephen was
still sweeping up at the back, and following with the map, so we wouldn't
loose anyone.

I wasn't at all surprised in mid-afternoon that the group spontaneously
turned into the car park of the Plough and Flail in Mobberly for the pint
they'd missed at lunch time. It was getting really hot so we sat in the
shade and did some yuppie watching.

The back of Alderley route goes through Mobberley to some bridle tracks
across Lindow Moss, where the body of a pre-historic man christened Lindow
Pete was found. The weather had been hot enough to dry up almost all the
mud on the tracks which is a very rare event. This time I found the route
I'd intended, and didn't drag them through brambles and nettles like I did
when taking Audrey and Cathy in the opposite direction a few weeks before.
The narrow concreted road out of Lindow Moss into the suburbs of Wilmslow
isn't much used by cars, except one idiot who having started a three point
turn couldn't wait a few seconds to let the group past, but hogged the
entire width of the road with his big estate bringing us to a halt. We
crossed the A538, went down a road with speed bumps and then Stephen
switched into MTB mode to go down the track to the bridge over the river
Bollin at the end of Quarry Bank Woods.

The car park here was packed with both cars and people getting in each
other's way. Lucy had worked out which hill I intended to walk, where the
B5166 climbs up from the Bollin to Styal, the mill and the prison. I
shifted into bottom gear and started twiddling. I was toying with the idea
of getting off, but knowing I have a lower bottom gear than Audrey does,
figured I had to at least stay on as far as she did. Audrey got more than
halfway up, and my legs weren't yet burning and I wasn't breathing too hard,
so I kept going. And going. And all of a sudden the bit of road left
didn't look too far, definitely not worth getting off for, so I kept on,
concentrating on my breathing, and I made it up without getting off and
pushing. It's at least 15 years since I was able to ride up there, and I
was a lot lighter then, so that was a real achievement.

From Styal we freewheeled most of the way down Styal road past the airport,
through Gatley and into Northenden. The more energetic members were pushing
hard down the hills, so we got split up again. All but one did stop to wait
for Audrey, Stephen and I, for which they were rewarded with a different
(and IMO better) route back to Chorlton Water park, where we met up with the
other person who had gone over the footbridge as usual.

The group ride was a 40 mile circuit. At this point I had done 42 miles,
and if I went immediately home I'd have equalled my best this year of 44
miles. But the Manchester 100km on 4 September is coming up fast, so I
decided I needed a higher mileage. Audrey agreed to let me tag along to her
friend's house for an extra few miles through the suburbs. I knew that
trying to follow Audrey, who by this time was going much faster than me,
would motivate me to carry on whereas on my own I'd turn round and go home.
When we got to our destination in Stretford I realised that I was flagging
because I hadn't eaten anything for about 4 hours, so ate a sandwich which
was duly restorative. At this point Audrey and I parted. I reckoned that
home would be far enough away to do 50 miles for the day, and with a couple
of extra wiggles on the route and once round the block past my house it was.

A great day with a lot of achievements for me - didn't get off and push
once, got up one of my bugbear hills, did my longest ride since September
2003, at a faster than normal speed, my longest and fastest whole week's
riding this year.
--
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once. - Charles Lamb
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:36:02 +0100, Steph Peters
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Have to give
>credit to Stephen though, he not only played sweeper at the back, trundling
>patiently along behind Audrey and I, but also followed the route on the map.

And when I fell off (a point which Steph has kindly glossed over) and
displaced my handlebars, he produced an allen key to fix them before
I'd even started rummaging in my panniers for me. An all-round Very
Nice Man.

>I wasn't at all surprised in mid-afternoon that the group spontaneously
>turned into the car park of the Plough and Flail in Mobberly for the pint
>they'd missed at lunch time. It was getting really hot so we sat in the
>shade and did some yuppie watching.

Inspite of the yuppies, the bar staff were very nice and cyclist
friendly, refilling water bottles on request and adding lots of lovely
ice.

>At this point Audrey and I parted. I reckoned that
>home would be far enough away to do 50 miles for the day, and with a couple
>of extra wiggles on the route and once round the block past my house it was.

I thought of putting in some extra loops on my way home, but the lure
of a bath and a cold drink was too strong, so I got home with 47.5
miles on my clock. I'm kicking myself for it now - 2.5 miles short of
my first half century boo.

>A great day with a lot of achievements for me - didn't get off and push
>once, got up one of my bugbear hills, did my longest ride since September
>2003, at a faster than normal speed, my longest and fastest whole week's
>riding this year.

And also a fantastic job of leading the rest of us round a very
enjoyable ride.

50 eh?? Are you two the same Steph and Audrey that were looking forwards
to doing ten miles earlier in the year?

So, the bug bites.

Well done the pair of you!!

I keep meaning to try and get on a Dawdling Doctors run, however I keep
forgetting to do it - also of course I've never actually bought a bike
off them. However, I have bought lots of bits, and used to call in a bit
on my commute home from Trafford Park.

Maybe see you lot on the next one eh?

BTW did I say well done? Leading is a pressure business!

bfn,

Tony B

Tony B <[email protected]> of wrote:
>50 eh?? Are you two the same Steph and Audrey that were looking forwards
> to doing ten miles earlier in the year?

Nope, we're fitter. Our first ride together was 13 miles, and that is still
probably the hardest ride together we have done.

>So, the bug bites.

Bit a while back I think.

>I keep meaning to try and get on a Dawdling Doctors run, however I keep
>forgetting to do it - also of course I've never actually bought a bike
>off them. However, I have bought lots of bits, and used to call in a bit
>on my commute home from Trafford Park.

The majority of bikes on a Dawdling Doctors run weren't bought there. It's
just a run out from south Manchester.

>Maybe see you lot on the next one eh?

Sunday August 7th Trans Pennine Trail - - Dunham - Tatton (aka the places DD
always go, which is why I didn't want to go there on Sunday. Or drop us an
email and come for a nice slow Audrey and Steph run, we're out most weekends
including next Saturday.

>BTW did I say well done? Leading is a pressure business!

Not doing it from the back with only 9 in the group.
--

Steph Peters wrote:

> Tony B <[email protected]> of wrote:
> >50 eh?? Are you two the same Steph and Audrey that were looking
> > forwards to doing ten miles earlier in the year?

> Nope, we're fitter. Our first ride together was 13 miles, and
> that is still probably the hardest ride together we have done.
>
> >So, the bug bites.

> Bit a while back I think.

Look, I know I'm not supposed to mention the 100 mile option, but...

Progressing from 50 miles to 100 is nowhere near as big a leap as the
jump from 13 to 50. You're now covering serious distances and are
almost there. At the current rate of progress you'll soon be doing
70-75 miles without distress. If you can do that, 100 miles in an
"event" is well with your capabilities.

--
Dave...

On 12 Jul 2005 03:44:12 -0700, "dkahn400" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Look, I know I'm not supposed to mention the 100 mile option, but...

It's not just the distance, it's the time. We currently ride at about
10 mph, so 100 miles is 10 hours without any stops, more like 12 hours
+ in practice. Our plan is, I think, to do the metric century this
year and work up to the imperial next (including working on going a
bit faster).

"audrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 12 Jul 2005 03:44:12 -0700, "dkahn400" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Look, I know I'm not supposed to mention the 100 mile option, but...
>>

> It's not just the distance, it's the time. We currently ride at about
> 10 mph, so 100 miles is 10 hours without any stops, more like 12 hours
> + in practice. Our plan is, I think, to do the metric century this
> year and work up to the imperial next (including working on going a
> bit faster).

I also think you guys are doing so incredibly well that you're setting your
goals too low.

> I also think you guys are doing so incredibly well that you're setting
> your goals too low.

The point of all the training was to make the 100k _easy_.

Mark Thompson <[email protected]> of NTL wrote:

>> I also think you guys are doing so incredibly well that you're setting
>> your goals too low.

>The point of all the training was to make the 100k _easy_.

Thank you Mark, someone finally gets it.
--
Good design keeps the user happy, the manufacturer in the black and
the aesthete unoffended. Raymond Loewy
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

audrey <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 12 Jul 2005 03:44:12 -0700, "dkahn400" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>

>>Look, I know I'm not supposed to mention the 100 mile option, but...
>>

>It's not just the distance, it's the time. We currently ride at about
>10 mph, so 100 miles is 10 hours without any stops, more like 12 hours
>+ in practice. Our plan is, I think, to do the metric century this
>year and work up to the imperial next (including working on going a
>bit faster).

That's a bit optimistic. The 10mph is per the computer, so it doesn't take
into account stopped time. This Sunday had very little time spent looking
at maps, so it was comparable to doing an organised ride. We didn't hang
around particularly at the stops. It took me 8 elapsed hours to do 50
miles, so for 100 we'd be looking at well over 16 hours. I really do not
have any interest at the moment in cycling for that long. As Audrey said,
it's distance first, then some speed, then we can go for more distance.