a good average speed for beginner

bluebird

Sep 22, 2004
I live in Brisbane and I have just taken up road riding. I was just wanting to know what pace I should be aiming for as a beginner? I am 24 year old male and already very fit. I am going to start riding for 20-30km in a slightly hilly area. What would be a good pace (km/h) for someone of my age and fitness?

I've told people not to worry about the distance they cover, rather the time they spend in the saddle. As far as speed, concentrate on your cadence (rpm). It should be about 90 revs. Select the gear that you can maintain that 90 revs. You will then find out what your speed is. Go from there.
Good luck.

bluebird said:
I live in Brisbane and I have just taken up road riding. I was just wanting to know what pace I should be aiming for as a beginner? I am 24 year old male and already very fit. I am going to start riding for 20-30km in a slightly hilly area. What would be a good pace (km/h) for someone of my age and fitness?
I kind of agree with BikeyGuy, get a bit of a groove and a rhythm for the riding, get your body used to the feeling, especially comfortably spinning, its essential for longer riding, I have tended to find you can feel when your body is ready to up the pace, it seems like a natural progression, which I have found in the 3 triathlon disciplines, but cycling the feeling is even stronger.

I guess if you really just want to get quicker look out for a pack and just trying pacing them or if they are very fast, hanging onto the back of a pack for a while that will certainly help your speed and eventually you will be out leading the pack for a stint.

just enjoy it... :)

MikeyOz said:
I kind of agree with BikeyGuy, get a bit of a groove and a rhythm for the riding, get your body used to the feeling, especially comfortably spinning, its essential for longer riding, I have tended to find you can feel when your body is ready to up the pace, it seems like a natural progression, which I have found in the 3 triathlon disciplines, but cycling the feeling is even stronger.

I guess if you really just want to get quicker look out for a pack and just trying pacing them or if they are very fast, hanging onto the back of a pack for a while that will certainly help your speed and eventually you will be out leading the pack for a stint.

just enjoy it... :)
I agree with the previous posts, although personally feel the need to always strive for some sort of average speed in order to keep pushing myself to the next level. As a very general guideline, I would say 17 - 20 mph (27-32kmh) is great for a beginner. Everyone is different, you may fall well short or far beyond this speed. Like Bkjeguy said, work on keeping your cadence up and the speed will follow.

OCRoadie said:
I agree with the previous posts, although personally feel the need to always strive for some sort of average speed in order to keep pushing myself to the next level. As a very general guideline, I would say 17 - 20 mph (27-32kmh) is great for a beginner. Everyone is different, you may fall well short or far beyond this speed. Like Bkjeguy said, work on keeping your cadence up and the speed will follow.

I have been told for an average speed, 80rpm is a good cadence to start with. Do you think I should up it to 90? If I was to go to 90rpm, I feel all I would be doing is going up to an easier gear. My average speed to date has been around 29km/h in a relatively hilly area, on flat ground I am doing 35-38km/h. Does this sound like a good pace? I have also started training to compete in triathlons and do you think this sort of biking to start is sufficient.

thank you for your reply's.

Hi Bluebird,
Where abouts do you live in Brissi?? i have just got back into road riding after not doing it for 10 years, and i want to build up my endurance and cadence level again strongly. I am in the southside around Logan, i am looking to ride with ppl out there if they are interested, perhaps on the weekends or weekdays in the mornings, i just have to get my butt out of bed early thats all :eek:

samplediz said:
Hi Bluebird,
Where abouts do you live in Brissi?? i have just got back into road riding after not doing it for 10 years, and i want to build up my endurance and cadence level again strongly. I am in the southside around Logan, i am looking to ride with ppl out there if they are interested, perhaps on the weekends or weekdays in the mornings, i just have to get my butt out of bed early thats all :eek:

I live in the Redlands area and I do most my riding around that area. What type of distance are you looking at doing?

bluebird said:
I have been told for an average speed, 80rpm is a good cadence to start with.

80 is too slow. Try 90-100 on the flat and 100-110 up hills and sprinting, if you've got enough gears. Once you're used to it, anything under 90 will seem like a horrible hard slog.

bluebird said:
My average speed to date has been around 29km/h in a relatively hilly area, on flat ground I am doing 35-38km/h. Does this sound like a good pace?

Yes.