a good frame paint shop in Upstate NY

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Hello

    for all that are not native East Coasters...Upstate NY is anything
    outside the city limits of NYC, ;-)

    anyway, seen some nice vintage, mid 80's STEEL road frames for
    sale(seeing a vintage Italian steel frame is like seeing the woman of
    your dreams on the sidewalk while driving down :) ).....but some of
    them need a new paint job. Any serious roadies or bike geeks who live
    near the Finger Lakes area of Upstate NY who know of a good bike frame
    paint shop or do I have to ship it out of state? I wouldnt even know
    who to ship it to out of state so if you have recommendations please
    let me know. I live about an hour and a half from Syracuse, Rochester,
    and 3 hours from Buffalo, and about 2.5 hours from Binghamton. NJ could
    be another alternative since that coud be a good day trip.

    about a new paint job, what is the standard paint job to get, if there
    was any sort of level of paint jobs (basic spray, clearcoat for
    protection, etc etc). I just want something so that i don't have to
    send it back out again in 5 years to have it repainted from all the
    nicks and dings from road debris. Thanks.

    -Mike

    Tags:

  2. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > for all that are not native East Coasters...Upstate NY is anything
    > outside the city limits of NYC, ;-)
    >
    > anyway, seen some nice vintage, mid 80's STEEL road frames for
    > sale(seeing a vintage Italian steel frame is like seeing the woman of
    > your dreams on the sidewalk while driving down :) ).....but some of
    > them need a new paint job. Any serious roadies or bike geeks who live
    > near the Finger Lakes area of Upstate NY who know of a good bike frame
    > paint shop or do I have to ship it out of state? I wouldnt even know
    > who to ship it to out of state so if you have recommendations please
    > let me know. I live about an hour and a half from Syracuse, Rochester,
    > and 3 hours from Buffalo, and about 2.5 hours from Binghamton. NJ could
    > be another alternative since that coud be a good day trip.
    >
    > about a new paint job, what is the standard paint job to get, if there
    > was any sort of level of paint jobs (basic spray, clearcoat for
    > protection, etc etc). I just want something so that i don't have to
    > send it back out again in 5 years to have it repainted from all the
    > nicks and dings from road debris. Thanks.

    Visit motorcycle shops, get recommendations, talk with
    custom MC builders, visit auto body shops, until you find
    someone you can work with and trust to do the right thing.
    Start with the yellow pages. You might find someone who
    does not act puzzled when you ask about a high quality
    paint job on a bicycle frame.

    --
    Michael Press

  3. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:30:12 -0800, mxd1007 wrote:

    > anyway, seen some nice vintage, mid 80's STEEL road frames for
    > sale(seeing a vintage Italian steel frame is like seeing the woman of
    > your dreams on the sidewalk while driving down :) ).....but some of
    > them need a new paint job. Any serious roadies or bike geeks who live
    > near the Finger Lakes area of Upstate NY who know of a good bike frame
    > paint shop or do I have to ship it out of state?

    There has to be a place that does powder coating. Best option; hard,
    beautiful finish. Unless your goal is to restore the frame to exactly the
    decals/colors it had originally, powder coat gives you the best bang for
    your buck.

    I had my track bike powder coated 5 years ago and the finish is still
    good. Beautiful metallic blue, too, and I had lots of color choices.

    Look for a place that deals with motorcycles. Harley owners are very
    fussy about the finish on their bikes, so they will have no trouble
    dealing with you.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
    _`\(,_ | should on no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams
    (_)/ (_) |

  4. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:30:12 -0800, mxd1007 wrote:
    >

    >>anyway, seen some nice vintage, mid 80's STEEL road frames for
    >>sale(seeing a vintage Italian steel frame is like seeing the woman of
    >>your dreams on the sidewalk while driving down :) ).....but some of
    >>them need a new paint job. Any serious roadies or bike geeks who live
    >>near the Finger Lakes area of Upstate NY who know of a good bike frame
    >>paint shop or do I have to ship it out of state?

    > There has to be a place that does powder coating. Best option; hard,
    > beautiful finish. Unless your goal is to restore the frame to exactly the
    > decals/colors it had originally, powder coat gives you the best bang for
    > your buck.

    seconded. just had my new baby done. it started out as on old bianchi
    rust bucket.
    http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg611a/pics/bianchi.jpg
    \\paul

  5. Sweet build Paul!
    Q: How did they remove the rust on the frame? Acid, sand blast?

  6. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Sweet build Paul!
    > Q: How did they remove the rust on the frame? Acid, sand blast?

    First: thanks!
    Short answer: It was blasted with a weird, *very* fine silica material
    by the powder coater.
    Long, ignorable answer: I was debating painting it myself from the
    second I got the frame. So I spent two days sanding it myself. The
    rust covered a significant area, but was not deep at all. One sweep
    with a file and it was that beautiful gun metal gray. After toiling for
    hours though, I decided it'd only be marginally more expensive to have
    it powder coated. The place around these parts (Miller Powder Coating)
    charged me a flat 100 bucks. They blasted the frame with a very fine
    silica material. The edge of the fork that they left uncoated had a
    very different finish than most people associate with the steel of a
    bike frame. It was weird...almost beige.

    \\paul

  7. Pat Lamb

    Pat Lamb Guest

    Paul Hobson wrote:
    > David L. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> There has to be a place that does powder coating. Best option; hard,
    >> beautiful finish. Unless your goal is to restore the frame to exactly
    >> the
    >> decals/colors it had originally, powder coat gives you the best bang for
    >> your buck.

    > seconded. just had my new baby done. it started out as on old bianchi
    > rust bucket.
    > http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg611a/pics/bianchi.jpg
    > \\paul

    Don't you get in some sort of trouble for painting a Bianchi something
    besides celeste?

    :)

  8. mac

    mac Guest

    can you paint a carbon frame?

  9. On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:29:45 -0600, Pat Lamb wrote:

    > Don't you get in some sort of trouble for painting a Bianchi something
    > besides celeste?

    Oh, please, _anything_ besides celeste!

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | I believe that the motion picture is destined to revolutionize
    _`\(,_ | our educational system and that in a few years it will supplant
    (_)/ (_) | largely, if not entirely, the use of textbooks -- Thomas
    Edison, 1922