A good night riding and dodging.

stevek

Sep 27, 2003
It was not so bad. Almost took put this old guy on a single speed. He had no lights or helmet going the wrong way in the dark. The road was one of those big round ones with a little park in the middle. I had just turned on the curve when I saw him. Hell I don’t think he saw my 10w halogen or xenon flasher.
Then almost home going on a straight away a pickup almost cut me off when he tried to cross the street. He stopped across the first lane after he saw me. Got to be blind to miss my lights they are very bright in your eyes. But I had seen him and I would not have crossed his path till I knew what he would do. Never trust drivers for sure.
But so far I have had fewer problems at night then the day.

I did my first night commute last night as well. It was great. Temperature was a little cooler, headwind off the SF Bay dies down at sunset.

Cars traffic jam in the dark before 6pm so I was snaking through stopped traffic rather than moving cars.

Saw a few bikers on the bike path part of the commute with no lights or pathetic little blinkies. Spotted them in my NiteRider Trail Rat before I saw their blinkies.

Nothing like night riding during "Indian Summer".

a couple of nights ago I passed three cyclists holding flashlights. none of the flashlights had good batteries and none had taillights. two rode with one hand and a flashlight.

I had a van run a stop sign in front of me (with my bright light on, and it wasn't a 4-way stop) and then slam to a stop after turning, so fortunately I *had* assumed incompetence. I made a point to holler "BE CAREFUL" as I rode by the driver's window, as she was giving some kind of instructions to the trick-or-treaters she was releasing. I only hope she didn't kill anybody else's kids (hers were saif in her car...)