A good Powertap installation experience for a change

Dini77

Sep 21, 2005
Well...i'm now the proud father of a shiny new PT SL:D
After reading all the threads of horror installation experiences, setup troubles, ongoing issues, drop-outs, etc, I was expecting for the worst. After carefully following all the advice provided on this forum (the instruction manual should be supplemented with the comments on this forum), my unit works without problem. Even the HR works fine. No drop outs, no erroneous data (at least i don't think), downloads without issues into CP, my computer has a 9pin serial port.....Everything seems spot on. I cannot believe it and am waiting for something to go haywire!:eek:

How long will the honeymoon last??? I seriously hope i haven't jinxed myself by sharing the good fortune with you all. Fingers, toes, arms, legs crossed. Thanks to all those who've gone before me and left all the good advice on this forum - but i may be calling on you again!

cheers

What, if anything, did you do re. attaching the receiver to the stay? Did you use any shock absorbing material between the receiver and the stay? Also, don't be surprised if you need to replace the hub batteries sooner than you think you should. I've heard of more than one case of units being received with batteries that went dead too soon. Not that it's a big deal. May as well figure out how to unscrew the hub cover because you're going to need to sooner or later.

RapDaddyo said:
What, if anything, did you do re. attaching the receiver to the stay? Did you use any shock absorbing material between the receiver and the stay? Also, don't be surprised if you need to replace the hub batteries sooner than you think you should. I've heard of more than one case of units being received with batteries that went dead too soon. Not that it's a big deal. May as well figure out how to unscrew the hub cover because you're going to need to sooner or later.
Yeah, i used some foam in addition to those rubber strips that are included to help with shock absorbing. Mounted it 2.75inches (vertically) from hub and 1inch (horizontal). The only annoying part out of all this is the wiring - did my best to make it as clean as possible, but still unsightly -small price to pay i guess

I'm not lookign forward to changing those batteries. Saw another post where you mentioned you might make some fancy contraption specifically for the task. But i'll wait a while before i touch it - don't want to stuff anything up just yet.

1 question though - my receiver is the yellow (CPU 1) unit. Aside from memory, is there any other difference with the other yellow unit (CPU unit 2)?

Dini77 said:
Yeah, i used some foam in addition to those rubber strips that are included to help with shock absorbing. Mounted it 2.75inches (vertically) from hub and 1inch (horizontal). The only annoying part out of all this is the wiring - did my best to make it as clean as possible, but still unsightly -small price to pay i guess
At least until Q2 when Saris will begin shipping the SL 2.4 model.

Dini77 said:
I'm not lookign forward to changing those batteries. Saw another post where you mentioned you might make some fancy contraption specifically for the task. But i'll wait a while before i touch it - don't want to stuff anything up just yet.
Nah, that was just a rube goldberg solution for a guy who needed to get his stuck hub cover off on Christmas Eve before a big ride the next day. My suggestion -- get the right tool and figure it out now while your batteries are fresh and firing off all those watts on schedule. I still think Saris should sell a nice little tool for this task, one that won't scratch the plastic hub cover.

Dini77 said:
1 question though - my receiver is the yellow (CPU 1) unit. Aside from memory, is there any other difference with the other yellow unit (CPU unit 2)?
I'm not sure Saris is adhering to what they describe as the differentiating aesthetics (logo). My guess is that you have Yellow CPU2 even if you don't have the logo. Don't erase your data for a few days and see when it stops recording. Then you'll know.

RapDaddyo said:
At least until Q2 when Saris will begin shipping the SL 2.4 model.
Does that mean i'd need to get a new receiver unit/cradle to discard the wiring or is it a new hub altogether.

RapDaddyo said:
Nah, that was just a rube goldberg solution for a guy who needed to get his stuck hub cover off on Christmas Eve before a big ride the next day. My suggestion -- get the right tool and figure it out now while your batteries are fresh and firing off all those watts on schedule. I still think Saris should sell a nice little tool for this task, one that won't scratch the plastic hub cover.

I'm not sure Saris is adhering to what they describe as the differentiating aesthetics (logo). My guess is that you have Yellow CPU2 even if you don't have the logo. Don't erase your data for a few days and see when it stops recording. Then you'll know.
Good tip(s)! will try it all out.
cheers

Dini77 said:
Does that mean i'd need to get a new receiver unit/cradle to discard the wiring or is it a new hub altogether.
New hub. Different wireless strain gauges. But, there may be a market in outfitting old SLs with the new strain gauges.

Dini77 said:
Good tip(s)! will try it all out.
You won't have any problem. Remember, that was a SoCal rider. You know how many SoCal cyclists it takes to change the batteries in a PT SL, don't you? Answer: 5, one to attach the hub to a bench vise and 4 to rotate the bench.

FYI, as far as the CPU1 vs 2 issue, the manual has a typo, and has the diagrams switched. The yellow unit without Cyclops written on the side of the face is CPU 2. I was puzzled by this also and confirmed with Saris.

I also had a completely trouble free set-up, and mounted my receiver on the chainstay, cause it seemed like a cleaner set-up.

But, I can't get heart rate to work.

I just also got a Sl and was expecting problems.i have had a trouble free install!! I did have to mount my reciever on the chain stay. on the seat stay i got drop outs with wheel coasting when i was testing it on the stand. when i would spin crank signal would come back. i also used a thick piece of foam rubber on the reciever.
After all the horror stories i can't believe so far how good of unit it is. i only had it 6 day's. only thing that bums me are my numbers.

Hey Dini77 what do you think of your numbers? have you tested yet?

kennf said:
FYI, as far as the CPU1 vs 2 issue, the manual has a typo, and has the diagrams switched. The yellow unit without Cyclops written on the side of the face is CPU 2. I was puzzled by this also and confirmed with Saris.

I also had a completely trouble free set-up, and mounted my receiver on the chainstay, cause it seemed like a cleaner set-up.

FWIW I did get a couple of hrt drop out and---. but my polar also did the same thing. in my case it is static electricity. here in the desert it is very dry single digit humidity. when the wind flaps my jersey it causes the staic. i use static cling and the works for a few hours till it wears off. i also use my polar strap since the pt isn't coded. for what it's worth try another strap.

RapDaddyo said:
New hub. Different wireless strain gauges. But, there may be a market in outfitting old SLs with the new strain gauges.
Oh well, c'est la vie

RapDaddyo said:
You won't have any problem. Remember, that was a SoCal rider. You know how many SoCal cyclists it takes to change the batteries in a PT SL, don't you? Answer: 5, one to attach the hub to a bench vise and 4 to rotate the bench.
:D LOL. Lucky i'm not from socal.
Us Aussies usually save those types of jokes for New Zealanders!

zaskar said:
I just also got a Sl and was expecting problems.i have had a trouble free install!! I did have to mount my reciever on the chain stay. on the seat stay i got drop outs with wheel coasting when i was testing it on the stand. when i would spin crank signal would come back. i also used a thick piece of foam rubber on the reciever.
After all the horror stories i can't believe so far how good of unit it is. i only had it 6 day's. only thing that bums me are my numbers.

Hey Dini77 what do you think of your numbers? have you tested yet?
Haven't done any testing on it yet. My plan is to ride all my favourite routes/hills/roads for the next 2-3 weeks and get some basic numbers to serve as a benchmark and to get a feel for the numbers, etc. Also have a few crits that i'll use it in - am very interested to see what the race data looks like

I'll then do some tests in a month or so. I just want to data log at the moment.

kennf said:

Thanks for clearing that up. This is further evidence to support my comment that Saris should supplement their manual with advice on this forum.

kennf said:
Unfortunately, you'll probably need to get a new computer from Saris to fix this problem. My HR receiver has failed in no less than two SL computers. Fortunately, Saris will send you a new one on the basis of a phone call and you don't have to return your old one until you get the new one. I think it's just a crappy HR receiver. The only good news is that now that you're riding with power you don't need your HR monitor. I'll keep replacing mine when it fails until my warranty is up and then I won't bother. Actually, by then I won't even be using the PT computer anyway.

RapDaddyo said:
Unfortunately, you'll probably need to get a new computer from Saris to fix this problem. My HR receiver has failed in no less than two SL computers. Fortunately, Saris will send you a new one on the basis of a phone call and you don't have to return your old one until you get the new one. I think it's just a crappy HR receiver. The only good news is that now that you're riding with power you don't need your HR monitor. I'll keep replacing mine when it fails until my warranty is up and then I won't bother. Actually, by then I won't even be using the PT computer anyway.

Not to be contridictory, but being able to interpret HR date right along your power data is VERY useful. Iv'e been training with power for about a year and am lucky enough to have a coach that does as well. Obviously, if you had to pick one or the other, power would be the most accurate, but HR still has an important place.

PSUcycling said:
Not to be contridictory, but being able to interpret HR date right along your power data is VERY useful. Iv'e been training with power for about a year and am lucky enough to have a coach that does as well. Obviously, if you had to pick one or the other, power would be the most accurate, but HR still has an important place.
This will be debated until the end of time. Personally, I don't get much info out of my HRM now that I train with power. One, I use power exclusively to manage intensity on all training rides and races. Two, I use power exclusively to measure my progress from month to month. The main thing of interest to me about my HR is how fast it declines following an L4-L6 interval. But, I'm not going to argue with you about its value. If you find value in it, great. Anyway, I know that Saris knows of the problem with their HR receiver and I think it will be fixed. Hopefully, before my warranty runs out so I can get the new one under warranty. Then again, I won't need it so it doesn't matter to me. Though maybe others will want to do a swap when they fix the problem.

RapDaddyo said:

Problem solved. HR working fine now. Too embarrased to explain "alleged" problem (user idiocy).