a good puncture solution?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sam Barlow, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Sam Barlow

    Sam Barlow Guest

    I keep getting tiny puncures on the outside in the inner
    tube on my road bike (2 in 1 week) since starting to use it
    every day to commute. My LBS suggested cutting the valve out
    of my old inner tube, splitting it open and putting it over
    the new inner tube to act as a protective barrier between
    the tyre and the tube.

    I was wondering if anyone had tried this method? I'd have
    thought there wouldnt be enough room in the tyre for this
    extra layer causing inflation problems.I'm wary of trying it
    and my new tube failing me on the way to work!!

    Cheers,

    Sam

    Tags:

  2. Sam Barlow wrote:

    > I keep getting tiny puncures on the outside in the inner
    > tube on my road bike (2 in 1 week) since starting to use
    > it every day to commute. My LBS suggested cutting the
    > valve out of my old inner tube, splitting it open and
    > putting it over the new inner tube to act as a protective
    > barrier between the tyre and the tube.

    This is a bit of a last-ditch measure but it can work. Are
    you sure the tyre doesn't still have a thorn or a piece of
    glass stuck in it, re-puncturing the tube? Are your tyres at
    a high enough pressure?

    I'd recommend any Vredestein tyres marked "PRS". They're
    more puncture resistant than kevlar belted tyres (which
    don't roll very well) and I've never had one flat.

  3. Msa

    Msa Guest

    says...
    > > I keep getting tiny puncures on the outside in the inner
    > > tube on my road bike (2 in 1 week) since starting to use
    > > it every day to commute. My LBS suggested cutting the
    > > valve out of my old inner tube, splitting it open and
    > > putting it over the new inner tube to act as a
    > > protective barrier between the tyre and the tube.

    Better still buy a pair of Mr. Tuffy's. Plastic liners that
    go between the tube and the tyre. When I changed my last
    tyre due to it being worn out I noticed several large sharp
    indentations in the strip that I'm sure would have normally
    caused punctures. I've ridden 2500 miles over the past 4
    months with 1 puncture, and that was a dodgy valve.
    Considering the shitty roads I do my training on, that
    ain't bad.

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
    volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during

  4. "Sam Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I keep getting tiny puncures on the outside in the inner
    > tube on my road bike (2 in 1 week) since starting to use
    > it every day to commute. My LBS suggested cutting the
    > valve out of my old inner tube, splitting it open
    and
    > putting it over the new inner tube to act as a protective
    > barrier between the tyre and the tube.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone had tried this method? I'd have
    > thought there wouldnt be enough room in the tyre for this
    > extra layer causing inflation problems.I'm wary of trying
    > it and my new tube failing me on the way to work!!

    If you can't find anything causing the puncture and are
    using narrow high pressure tyres, try a latex innertube
    eg. Air-B.

    KC

  5. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004

    Have you tried Slime inner tubes? (click here)

    I'd agree with the point about Kevlar tyres as well, they don't roll well and my dad had one delaminate on him - not good.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:31:13 +0000 (UTC), "Sam Barlow"
    <[email protected]>:

    >I keep getting tiny puncures on the outside in the inner
    >tube on my road bike (2 in 1 week) since starting to use it
    >every day to commute.

    Fast or slow? I got a lot of slow ones from flints, which I
    fixed mainly by avoiding one particular bit of road. I also
    had a spate of rapid ones which turned out to be a barely
    visible cut in the casing through which the tube was slowly
    emerging into the daylight, only to be rudely interrupted by
    a passing bit of road.

    --
    Guy
    ===