A good ride home

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryan Cousineau

No, I didn't witness a car smashing into a parked car as it tried to pursue me, but I did save some
money on my car insurance!

Today seems to be the official day of cyclists coming out of hibernation. On my ride home I caught
not one but two roadies out for a roll. The first was a gent a bit older than me on a Cunningham
(custom road bike made somewhere locally) who paced me all the way up a long, shallow climb. On one
hand, impressive, because I'm climbing a lot better these days. On the other hand, I was packing a
lunchbox and saddlebag (mostly full of bike tools and clothing) and he was not. We were both happy
to cane each other for a couple km at a painful but not breakaway pace.

Next up, I outran a dump truck from a standing start, by a lot. He never caught me, despite the road
being a nominal 50 km/h four-lane commuter chute with a slight rise for the first few hundred
metres. I think he was still behind me when I got home, a few km later.

The second roadie was a young woman with tri-bars, doing some suffering up a slight grade. She was
probably coming from downtown or something. Having seen her well ahead of me, I cheated a bit by
slightly drafting a bus (bad Ryan...) until I caught her, and kept going. By then my legs were
feeling the effort, so I just stayed ahead of her for a few blocks before I had to turn for home.

My deep and wacky competitive instincts don't let me see other cyclists without wanting to catch
them. This was supposed to be an easy ride home, and for the first half of the commute, it was. And
then, you know, I saw a cyclist.

Keep in mind I did this work on my deliciously ratty Bianchi, complete with non-matching fork, rack,
and in my dorky orange "commuter jersey" (just a synthetic long-sleeve shirt I bought at the thrift
store). Now I know how it feels to be my old arch-nemesis, Camo-pants guy with the old rigid GT
mountain bike.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

In article <[email protected]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:

> My deep and wacky competitive instincts don't let me see other cyclists without wanting to catch
> them. This was supposed to be an easy ride home, and for the first half of the commute, it was.
> And then, you know, I saw a cyclist.

Last year I took on a guy on a 'bent, on the downgrade on 45th from Boundary Rd. He clobbered me, of
course. My rationalization was, I let him trigger the traffic light detector at Earles for me.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> My deep and wacky competitive instincts don't let me see other cyclists without wanting to
> catch them.

You have some Golden Retriever in your ancestry, yes?

EFR Ile de France

Elisa Francesca Roselli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > My deep and wacky competitive instincts don't let me see other cyclists without wanting to
> > catch them.
>
> You have some Golden Retriever in your ancestry, yes?

All chase, no brains. That's me in a nutshell. My parents have a rottweiler/retriever cross like
that: looks like a rottie, lives to fetch.

I race to teach me humility,

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

> My deep and wacky competitive instincts don't let me see other cyclists without wanting to catch
> them. This was supposed to be an easy ride home, and for the first half of the commute, it was.

I'd be like that if I wasn't so durn slow. I mean, why try to catch someone if you know you
won't succeed?

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!

"AustinMN" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > My deep and wacky competitive instincts don't let me see other cyclists without wanting to catch
> > them. This was supposed to be an easy ride home, and for the first half of the commute, it was.
> > And then, you know, I saw a cyclist.
>
> I'd be like that if I wasn't so durn slow. I mean, why try to catch someone if you know you won't
> succeed?

Because if you keep trying, one day you will.

Seriously: I started riding to work three years ago, basically because at 27, I figured it was my
last chance to have decent fitness before I entered the Long Decline. I was right. The first time I
rode to work, it took 45 minutes and I thought I would die. I could only do it twice a week.

Today, the same ride is my routine, done at least 4 days a week, it takes about 30 minutes, and it
doesn't hurt much. On top of that, I do long weekend rides every chance I get, and I will race
seriously this year (as opposed to semi-seriously last year, and non-seriously the year before).

Find a hill, and keep riding up it. Within 6 months you'll be faster than most other cyclists. Give
it enough time, and you'll catch almost every roadie you see (hint: don't chase the guys in blue
unis on the Treks).

Just do it,
--

"Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

How about racing a bus? That's what I did on Monday. There was a 225 right next to me, just as I was
getting off of the I-90 bike trail and it was getting off of the I-90 itself.

I know I can beat the 225 when I'm racing it from the top of the hill, but we were both at the
bottom. Further, I had planned my "after-dark" route home, that takes me through BCC, and is not
just longer, but hillier than the usual.

The bus had the advantage in its gas motor and its route had a higher speed limit (and it could
travel mostly at that limit). Its disadvantage was that it was a rush hour run, and it would have
more stops and wait longer at them to disgorge passengers.

Me, I had the extra hills, the longer route -- but I didn't have to worry as much about traffic, and
the only stops I needed to make were at lights and stop signs.

The light turned green -- and we were off. Me, grinding my way up the Big Hill; the bus turning left
to make it to the park-and-ride. We would see who made it first to where we'd intersect, at 164th
and Lake Hills Blvd, about five miles away. If I couldn't see the bus ahead of me, or if it was
behind me, I'd declare myself the winner.

I felt confident in my ability to beat it out until I narrowly missed the long light at 148th and
Lake Hills Blvd. I sat there and stewed at the red, waiting and waiting, tapping my toe, imagining
the bus speeding along its designated route far to the east of me.

After the light turned green, I took off, heedless of fallen birch twigs and other minor hazards,
pumping the legs, anticipating the coming Moment of Truth.

As I was approaching 164th I thought, maybe, I could hear a bus motor. Couldn't be sure, and
couldn't see around the bend in the road. I entered the four-way stop at 164th. I looked right.
No bus. Looked left. There was the bus, just having made it through the four-way, working its way
up the hill.

Oh no! I lost! Forlornly I turned up the final hill home, trailing behind the victorious bus.

It was a sad final mile home.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

New CD coming out this month! See: http://www.tiferet.net

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

In article <zIEWb.11007$yE5.56001@attbi_s54>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine-
> [email protected]...
>
>> My deep and wacky competitive instincts don't let me see other cyclists without wanting to catch
>> them. This was supposed to be an easy ride home, and for the first half of the commute, it was.
>> And then, you know, I saw a cyclist.
>
> How about racing a bus? That's what I did on Monday.

This all tends to support Eric Sande's contention that it's all a sport.

Jeez, Eric -- you wuz right!

But maybe it's a sport in the same way as, say, bullfighting? One can go through fits & starts
trying to categorize bullfighting as sport or spectacle or drama or dance ...

Oh, well. I'm being too analytical.

cheers, Tom

--