A good source of 27 inch tyres

mikesbytes said:
Good buy.

Why is the seat so low, is it adjusted for you?
Yep, when it's done it'll be for a taller family member who fits the frame ok. Now I have to find some decent indexed shifters for 7 speed.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Yep, when it's done it'll be for a taller family member who fits the frame ok. Now I have to find some decent indexed shifters for 7 speed.
I had a look for 7 speed indexed shifters a couple of months ago, found them on the US ebay site, but they wanted real money for them, due to the rearity of them. Perhaps you will have better luck on trade-me. If you find 2 pairs cheap, let me know about the other pair, also I have relos in Auckland so can do pick-up.

mikesbytes said:
I had a look for 7 speed indexed shifters a couple of months ago, found them on the US ebay site, but they wanted real money for them, due to the rearity of them. Perhaps you will have better luck on trade-me. If you find 2 pairs cheap, let me know about the other pair, also I have relos in Auckland so can do pick-up.
The cog spacing on a 7-speed cassette AND an 8-speed cassette is virtually the same ... so, you can use almost ANY (Shimano OR Campagnolo -- MATCH the shifter & rear derailleur brands! There is ONE exception that I know will work; but, that's another story.) indexed 8-speed shifter instead of a 7-speed shifter.

K Mart must be good going, as Big W in tuggerah dun sell anything over 26" last time I looked...

So far going ok - have just replaced the long stem with a short one from an 80s "Sports touring" road bike, was in fact quite surprised the stem swap worked with the 20 year difference in age! Will the fit handlebars soon after I strip and repaint them. Still no luck with the shifters speed (7spd or 8spd - people are setting ridiculous reserves.) Will probably use a friction shifter for now.

There is however an upcoming issue I've notice. After removing the downtube shifters, I find there is no place to stop the housing and bring the rest of the wire to the derailers. (Wasn't any need for them before with downtube shifters).

Also, a potentially project-ending concern : How is a shorter and higher stem going to affect handling?

photo coming soon.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Still no luck with the shifters speed (7spd or 8spd - people are setting ridiculous reserves.) Will probably use a friction shifter for now.
See if you can buy another pristine condition biek from that time, strip it for the shifters, and then sell the frame/wheels etc. individually - it'll be a bit of work, and

xxamr_corpxx said:
I find there is no place to stop the housing and bring the rest of the wire to the derailers. (Wasn't any need for them before with downtube shifters).
Try something like these - quite a few online retailers still have them floating around. They screw straight into the downtube shifter braze-ons - I've used them on one of my restoration.conversion projects with fantastic results.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Shimano-Dura-Ace-Cable-Stop-Set-For-STI-Shifters_W0QQitemZ120034823681

xxamr_corpxx said:
Also, a potentially project-ending concern : How is a shorter and higher stem going to affect handling?
Probably not that significantly - shorter stems result in snappier handling, however, this usually doesn't change it all that much. Height is usually a comfort issue exclusively.

HTH,

n

xxamr_corpxx said:
So far going ok - ..... Still no luck with the shifters speed (7spd or 8spd - people are setting ridiculous reserves.) Will probably use a friction shifter for now.

There is however an upcoming issue I've notice. After removing the downtube shifters, I find there is no place to stop the housing and bring the rest of the wire to the derailers. (Wasn't any need for them before with downtube shifters).

photo coming soon.
Index Shifters: What type 7/8 speed? STI, Rapid Fire, Twist grip, SIS Lever? I can get all but STI here in Aus very cheap from the shops. EF 29 or 50 Rapid fire with brake levers for $50.

The cable stops for the frame to replace the down tube shifter, it is a Shimano part, any LBS will have these.

Handling, if in doubt with stem length and angle, put the bike in a trainer with front wheel on the bathroom scales and compare the weights (bike + rider) before and after.

Would prefer either SIS lever shifters or rapidfire. I'm not terribly fussy about it so I'll wait until a trashed up bike with those shifters ends up on trade me.
I've also managed to find an old road bike with a nice Selle Italia saddle which is incredibly comfortable for a 25 year old one. Now to get those 25c Continental Gatorskins.

Now onto another topic : Chainrings. I've managed to get a set of spare MTB (Altus) cranksets and was wondering if I could simply take the double chainring off the Exage cranks currently on the bike and swap it with Altus's triple chainring.

OK on the shifters. See what surfaces.

On the cranks, if both are cotterless square drive, just give it a go!

mikesbytes said:
700C will not fit.

In Australia, you can buy low quality 27 inch road tyres at K-mart.

dont even bother the amount tubes and frustration at all the flats you get very quickly adds up to buying something reasonable.

Ive got the specialized tri sports on the beater. Reasonable tyre, ****er of a bead though, you definitely need tyre levers. Just be careful of going too fast around corners on them, you get on the sidewall very quickly with them.

Well, this project is now officially finished, although it may still need a bit of fine tuning. It seems I've shortened the bike substantially and as a result the pedals are too far in front. Any remedies apart from the tedious stem swap?