A good Win 98 SE newsgroup? OT O.T.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive I now have a disk C: D: E: (two
    partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom). However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old
    CDRom icon). Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly and so does
    BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*

    Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people please let me know.

    Sorry for the OT.

    Mikael

    Tags:

  2. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    Shut down to dos mode Run FDISK Select second drive Do inquiry, I suspect it is a bootable
    DOS partition

    If it is, Delete this partition Exit fdisk reboot shutdown to dos mode run FDISK select second drive
    Create LOGICAL partition, use entire drive Create LOGICAL drive(s) within this partition exit reboot
    shutdown to dos mode do a Dir C: then DIR D: should come back with root directory listing do A DIR
    E: should come back with error message For this drive, do a FORMAT E:

    (only one DOS partition can be boot from and accessed)

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive I now have a disk C: D: E: (two
    > partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom). However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old
    > CDRom icon). Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly and so does
    > BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*
    >
    > Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people please let me know.
    >
    > Sorry for the OT.
    >
    > Mikael

  3. Freewolf1

    Freewolf1 Guest

    Open up "pathfinder" (your file manager). Drag the drive icons onto the DT, drop.

    --
    Bil-Freewolf freewolf1 ta cox tod net "Obeying their rules only encourages them to
    create new ones. Disobey as often as possible: for gain, for sport, for the art of it"

  4. Freewolf1

    Freewolf1 Guest

    Open 'Pathfinder' (your file manager). Drag each drive icon onto desktop, Drop.

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive I now have a disk C: D: E: (two
    > partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom). However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old
    > CDRom icon). Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly and so does
    > BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*
    >
    > Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people please let me know.
    >
    > Sorry for the OT.
    >
    > Mikael

    Bil-Freewolf1 freewolf1 ta cox tod net

  5. Freewolf1

    Freewolf1 Guest

    Mikael,

    You will need to DELETE from your desktop, D: (the cdrom). Then DRAG from Pathfinder, each
    drive icon you wish to see onto the desktop and then DROP it.

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive I now have a disk C: D: E: (two
    > partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom). However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old
    > CDRom icon). Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly and so does
    > BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*
    >
    > Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people please let me know.
    >
    > Sorry for the OT.
    >
    > Mikael

    Bil-Freewolf freewolf1 ta cox tod net "Obeying their rules only encourages them to
    create new ones. Disobey as often as possible: for gain, for sport, for the art of it"
    --> Ethan Mordden

  6. Freewolf1

    Freewolf1 Guest

    Mikael,

    You will need to DELETE from your desktop, D: (the cdrom).

    DRAG from Pathfinder, each drive icon you wish to see, onto the desktop and DROP it.

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive I now have a disk C: D: E: (two
    > partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom). However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old
    > CDRom icon). Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly and so does
    > BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*
    >
    > Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people please let me know.
    >
    > Sorry for the OT.
    >
    > Mikael

    Bil-Freewolf freewolf1 ta cox tod net "Obeying their rules only encourages them to
    create new ones. Disobey as often as possible: for gain, for sport, for the art of it"
    --> Ethan Mordden

  7. Freewolf1

    Freewolf1 Guest

    Mikael,

    You will need to DELETE from your desktop, D: (the cdrom).

    DRAG from Pathfinder, each drive icon you wish to see, onto the desktop and DROP it. Answer
    YES, to menu box query.

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive I now have a disk C: D: E: (two
    > partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom). However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old
    > CDRom icon). Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly and so does
    > BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*
    >
    > Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people please let me know.
    >
    > Sorry for the OT.
    >
    > Mikael

    Bil-Freewolf freewolf1 ta cox tod net "Obeying their rules only encourages them to
    create new ones. Disobey as often as possible: for gain, for sport, for the art of it"
    --> Ethan Mordden

  8. "freewolf1" skrev...

    > You will need to DELETE from your desktop, D: (the cdrom).
    >
    > DRAG from Pathfinder, each drive icon you wish to see, onto the desktop and DROP it. Answer YES,
    > to menu box query.

    Aha. Been too long since I messed with my computer I guess. :) This worked. Thanks.

    Mikael

  9. Mikael Seierup wrote:
    > I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive
    > I now have a disk C: D: E: (two partitions as its 160 GB)
    > and F: (CDRom). However my desktop shows only C: and D:
    > (using the old CDRom icon). Pathfinder or whatever its
    > called in english shows the drives correctly and so does
    > BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*
    >
    > Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup
    > with clever people please let me know.
    >
    > Sorry for the OT.
    >
    > Mikael

    Hi Mikael, My wife is a professional IT administrator. Has
    been a programmer. Rides a 19lb (8.7Kg) Columbine [should
    have raced]. Recommendation is to get an up to date laptop
    with XP and forget partitioning and DOS. Pathfinder must be
    a legacy DOS item. Windows 95 was better than 98 or Melinia.
    But what do I know...I'm a carpenter.

  10. I also had a strange problem, and left A.R.B.R. rather
    hastily. See, I thought I was allergic to OT posts. I guess
    not! How refreshing to take a quick look and only finding
    this single OT post here; and one with a plea for advice!

    So no, I guess I am not allergic after all, since a question
    rather than political opinions and arguments is like a
    breath of fresh air.

    Now, for my question; did someone run over Mr. Dolan? :)

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:<[email protected]
    berlin.de>...

  11. Frank P. Patterson wrote:

    > My wife is a professional IT administrator. Has been a
    > programmer. Rides a 19lb (8.7Kg) Columbine [should have
    > raced]. Recommendation is to get an up to date laptop with
    > XP and forget partitioning and DOS. Pathfinder must be a
    > legacy DOS item. Windows 95 was better than 98 or Melinia.
    > But what do I know...I'm a carpenter.

    I guess YMMV because I don't agree that a person should
    replace their home computer if they are happy with it and it
    works well. Maybe a business can justify the expense, but
    not every human being can for their own personal use.

    I bet "Pathfinder" is Windows Explorer, not a legacy DOS
    item.

    Melinda, who loves DOS and still uses some DOS programs that
    still work perfectly well, adored IBM S/370 OS/VS2 MVS JCL
    mainframes run with punchcard images that she did
    application programming on before she had small fry, thought
    Win95 was a piece of sewage, thinks Win98SE is okay, and
    hates the WinME on her elderly neighbor's computer that she
    helps him with

    --
    I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just
    wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

  12. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    [email protected] (Christopher Jordan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I also had a strange problem, and left A.R.B.R. rather
    > hastily. See, I thought I was allergic to OT posts. I
    > guess not! How refreshing to take a quick look and only
    > finding this single OT post here; and one with a plea
    > for advice!
    >
    > So no, I guess I am not allergic after all, since a
    > question rather than political opinions and arguments is
    > like a breath of fresh air.
    >
    > Now, for my question; did someone run over Mr. Dolan? :)

    Chris, I can be found on the thread "Highway riding
    experiences?" where I am advising Joshua on the best route
    to ride his trike from Toronto to Vancouver and also
    advising him not to become homeless while he is at it. There
    really is not a single OT subject thread at the moment, but
    I am always here waiting and biding my time for anyone
    foolish enough to think they can come onto ARBR and say any
    damn foolish thing that pops into their heads on politics or
    any other general subject.

    Frankly, this newsgroup needs a couple of OT threads as most
    of the on-topic threads are boring as hell. Some of you must
    have rocks in your heads to be able to keep on discussing
    the same old things over and over again.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Christopher Jordan wrote:

    > I also had a strange problem, and left A.R.B.R. rather
    > hastily. See, I thought I was allergic to OT posts. I
    > guess not! How refreshing to take a quick look and only
    > finding this single OT post here; and one with a plea for
    > advice!...

    Those trike owners will soon start up with their off-topic
    postings again. ;)

    Tom Sherman - Blue Earth Cycles Dragonflyer :)