A good win and a sad loss

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Schmitz, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Tom Schmitz

    Tom Schmitz Guest

    Rick -

    I have spent a considerable amount of time (frittered, actually) looking
    for a decent 700Xwide tire. No real joy to be had. Can't find any high
    zoot ones on sale for less than $15. Seems that such tires are less of a
    fashion item and less likely to be "blow-out specials".The need here is
    for a wide tire that is rated for 90 psi so I can over inflate it to 100
    or so. Been thinking about wider fenders, too, so might just go and
    order a wide set of fenders and some $10 less-than-perfect (no Kevlar
    bead and likely rated to 70 psi) 700X28 or 32 tires and see what
    happens. Kicking my self for not buying as many 700X28 Vittorias as I
    could find.

    Went to the Amgen Tour of California today. Fat Floyd Landis won; I was
    rooting for George Hincapie. It was no surprise that Fat Floyd won as he
    seemed to pretty well sew it up in San Jose at the time trial. All in
    all it was a good start on what I hope will become an annual event. It
    was a good win for FFL and team Phonak.

    I noted with some sadness that Humble Eddy of Zachary All fame died a
    day or two ago. You may remember him from the Zachary All commercials
    back in the '70s. I used to get a kick out of him. I never knew his real
    name, just called him Humble Eddy. Edward Nalbandian. Kinda sad - he was
    of the same era as Tom Hadden and all the other TV pioneers.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Tom Schmitz

    Tom Schmitz Guest

    Tom Schmitz wrote:
    > Rick -
    >
    > I have spent a considerable amount of time (frittered, actually) looking
    > for a decent 700Xwide tire. No real joy to be had. Can't find any high
    > zoot ones on sale for less than $15. Seems that such tires are less of a
    > fashion item and less likely to be "blow-out specials".The need here is
    > for a wide tire that is rated for 90 psi so I can over inflate it to 100
    > or so. Been thinking about wider fenders, too, so might just go and
    > order a wide set of fenders and some $10 less-than-perfect (no Kevlar
    > bead and likely rated to 70 psi) 700X28 or 32 tires and see what
    > happens. Kicking my self for not buying as many 700X28 Vittorias as I
    > could find.
    >
    > Went to the Amgen Tour of California today. Fat Floyd Landis won; I was
    > rooting for George Hincapie. It was no surprise that Fat Floyd won as he
    > seemed to pretty well sew it up in San Jose at the time trial. All in
    > all it was a good start on what I hope will become an annual event. It
    > was a good win for FFL and team Phonak.
    >
    > I noted with some sadness that Humble Eddy of Zachary All fame died a
    > day or two ago. You may remember him from the Zachary All commercials
    > back in the '70s. I used to get a kick out of him. I never knew his real
    > name, just called him Humble Eddy. Edward Nalbandian. Kinda sad - he was
    > of the same era as Tom Hadden and all the other TV pioneers.
    >
    > Tom

    Um,OK, I guess everybody knows that wasn't supposed to go to rbm...

    Cheers,

    Tom

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Tom Schmitz wrote:
    > Tom Schmitz wrote:
    >
    >> Rick -
    >>
    >> I have spent a considerable amount of time (frittered, actually)
    >> looking for a decent 700Xwide tire. No real joy to be had.

    [snip]

    > Um,OK, I guess everybody knows that wasn't supposed to go to rbm...

    Maybe if you *weren't* frittering (frittering!) away your
    noon time, suppertime, choretime too on tire purchases
    this wouldn't have happened. :)

    Scott

  4. bfd

    bfd Guest

    What do you consider "high zoot?" Check out Chuck's bikes, he has some
    good prices on tires:

    Cheng Shin Super HP 700x23 tires for $6:
    http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/ti036.htm

    Want to spend a little more? How about:

    Hutchinson Top Speed Road 700x25 tire for $18:
    http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/ti047.htm

    or

    Vittoria Tecno Pro 700x23 tire in Red or Yellow for $18:
    http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/ti032.htm

    Gaerlan has a good deal on 700x28 Avocet Cross 40 tires for $20:

    http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/26wheel/wheel26.html

    STOP Frittering! Get some tires and RIDE!!!!!