A great day...a big grin

JohnB

Guest
No, not the weather, although that was good too.

We all know the joy that comes with those first pedal revolutions, but
today i witnessed one of the biggest grins I've ever seen.
Young 10-year old Craig [1] rode his bike for the first time.

All his friends at school can ride and enjoy the freedom and fun of
riding on dirt tracks, through the woods, and down to the local park,
while Craig could only watch.
He has been trying for years with no success. Everytime he has tried he
has immediately fallen off as he has difficulty balancing - for he
suffers from mild cerebral palsy.

Today I went to help.
With the saddle down and pedals off we worked together on a grass slope.
Gentle scooting was followed by slow rolling down the hill with constant support.
Then suddenly it happened.
Craig was balancing on his own and managed a couple of metres. That
became 10, then 30. The pedals went back on and he was introduced to
adding his own traction.
The grin became wider and wider.
"I can ride a bike" - the expression of joy was fantastic
It had taken just over an hour and he could now confidently pedal
100metres in a straight line.
Mum turned up and there were emotional hugs all round.

Craig still has to practice starting off - but with practice that will
come. Mum has promised him a new bike and she has decided to get one
herself so they can go out as a family. His two-year old sister will go
in a new trailer.

Today was a major highlight and if anyone here is contemplating taking
up cycle training - do it.

I hope you don't mind me sharing this.

[1] name changed for obvious reasons.

John B

http://www.hampshirecycletraining.org.uk/

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, not the weather, although that was good too.
>
> We all know the joy that comes with those first pedal revolutions, but
> today i witnessed one of the biggest grins I've ever seen.
> Young 10-year old Craig [1] rode his bike for the first time.
>
> All his friends at school can ride and enjoy the freedom and fun of
> riding on dirt tracks, through the woods, and down to the local park,
> while Craig could only watch.
> He has been trying for years with no success. Everytime he has tried he
> has immediately fallen off as he has difficulty balancing - for he
> suffers from mild cerebral palsy.
>
> Today I went to help.
> With the saddle down and pedals off we worked together on a grass slope.
> Gentle scooting was followed by slow rolling down the hill with constant
> support.
> Then suddenly it happened.
> Craig was balancing on his own and managed a couple of metres. That
> became 10, then 30. The pedals went back on and he was introduced to
> adding his own traction.
> The grin became wider and wider.
> "I can ride a bike" - the expression of joy was fantastic
> It had taken just over an hour and he could now confidently pedal
> 100metres in a straight line.
> Mum turned up and there were emotional hugs all round.
>
> Craig still has to practice starting off - but with practice that will
> come. Mum has promised him a new bike and she has decided to get one
> herself so they can go out as a family. His two-year old sister will go
> in a new trailer.
>
> Today was a major highlight and if anyone here is contemplating taking
> up cycle training - do it.
>
> I hope you don't mind me sharing this.
>
> [1] name changed for obvious reasons.
>
> John B
>
> http://www.hampshirecycletraining.org.uk/

Well done Craig, and John!

George

In article <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Today was a major highlight and if anyone here is contemplating
> taking up cycle training - do it.

> I hope you don't mind me sharing this.

Congrats. to everyone involved - this was magic.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

JohnB wrote:

> I hope you don't mind me sharing this.

Glad you did. It's always nice to hear about someone cycling for the
first time, and good to know that people with many kinds of disabilities
can ride a bike.

~PB

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:27:10 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>We all know the joy that comes with those first pedal revolutions, but
>today i witnessed one of the biggest grins I've ever seen.
>Young 10-year old Craig [1] rode his bike for the first time.

I'm willing to wager a small sum that "Craig" also witnessed one of
the largest grins /he/ had ever seen...

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, not the weather, although that was good too.
>
> We all know the joy that comes with those first pedal revolutions, but
> today i witnessed one of the biggest grins I've ever seen.
> Young 10-year old Craig [1] rode his bike for the first time.
>

> I hope you don't mind me sharing this.

Mind you sharing it? absolutely not! an inspiring story, thank you for
sharing it.

JohnB wrote:

> Craig was balancing on his own and managed a couple of metres. That
> became 10, then 30. The pedals went back on and he was introduced to
> adding his own traction.
> The grin became wider and wider.
> "I can ride a bike" - the expression of joy was fantastic

Fantastic!

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

Brilliant! Well done both, and thanks for sharing the story.
Jo