A Haircut, what price do you pay?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gclark8, Oct 7, 2005.

1. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Last week on the way to the pool/gym I was passing the Barber Shop in our leafy green suburb of Crawley. I am thinking of moving down that way in the future (Lotto win permitting) so decided as it was 08:15 and quiet to ask their price, this being a good indicator of the cost of living in the proposed new suburb.

Well, did I insult the barber by asking, No one had ever done that before!! When he told me $20, I nearly fainted, my reaction was shock-horror-amazement!! I live in an old working class eastern suburb, Bassendean.

This story is now told to all customers of the shop and came back to me in the gym this morning. Am I so out of touch to expect a similar price as my existing shop?? I noticed in the city haircuts as low as $12. I will keep having my hait cut in Bassendean even if it adds $3 to the cost of a $10 haircut, just to make the journey.

Tags:

2. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

Haircut? Never!

3. rule62

rule62 New Member

$14, nothing fancy and in an old fashioned barber shop

4. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

Because I keep my hair fairly short, I've cut my own with hair clippers for the past 10 years. Got tired of shelling out $15 once a month for something I could easily do at home.

My cost for clippers: $30
    My cost per haircut (1 per month over 10 years) = $00.25

You really have me thinking now, so I've saved:
    $15/month X 10 years = $1800 = time to buy another bike!!:cool:

5. Hookyrider

Hookyrider New Member

40 euro for a clipper set, I do it myself, hair never looked better and I don't have to complain about the hair dresser, or being ripped for a simple trim... life is grand!

HR

6. Kazoo

Kazoo New Member

depends sometimes i'll do it myself if i feel up to it with just a pair of scissors, but when i go get one its usually 12$ cnd and I go to a barber shop

7. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

$15, at the local barber shop. This is cheap for my area. only the places that don't do women's hair are affordable for the non-metro.my brother will happily spend $25-30.

8. Bruski

Bruski New Member

Appentice cut (have to book the day before): $10

The risk is she will botch it, but hair grows back.

9. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

You get a chick running her fingers through your hair for $10? :cool: Where?

10. Mellic

Mellic New Member

Well unfortunately haircuts have a tendancy to cost more in suburbs in which residents have a high economic status, and Crawley just happens to be one of those suburbs.

You should be thankful that you are not a female. I have never had a haircut under $20 before. Stick to the Bassendean hairdessers.

11. SteveA

SteveA New Member

George,

$15 at Frank Barbarich in the city. I usually go at lunchtime during the week so I don't mind paying $15 as it is convenient. I've been going there since 1990 and I haven't had a bad haircut from Frank or any of his boys.

SteveA

12. EoinC

EoinC New Member

MYR 10.00 (= AUD $3.50), but it includes about a 15 minute head massage and most of a bottle of shampoo stuff. I guess you'd have to add the Perth / Brunei / Miri return airfare, which would put it up on a level with a Dalkeith / Peppermint Grove haircut, but don't forget the head massage!
    I remember there used to be a barber shop down in Northbridge which advertised all haircuts for about $5.00. 2 of my mates got caught (I recommended the place to the 2nd one) asking for a trim and getting a No.2 regardless - suits me, but the one mate with the ponytail wasn't so impressed - first cut was straight down the middle. :D

13. roses

roses New Member

To balance the equation:

I recently decided to get my hair cut shortish again and I found an awesome hairdresser, she gave me the best haircut I ever had (ie it was styled to suit me, not just randomly chopped) and went back to her once every 5 weeks for a while.

But I can no longer justify giving the salon $110 each visit, great 'do & massage aside.

14. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Monday Night and hair still un cut!

Lots of good feedback above, keep it coming.

I found a couple of barbers in the Barrack/Wellington St area with $12 on their boards, however it looks like the Crawley Barber will not bow to market pressure and drop his price... I am glad he is not selling petrol or milk.. :eek:

I will have to do something soon, it is becoming a problem in the pool, maybe after swiming tomorrrow in Bassendean... :cool:

15. Haydn

Haydn New Member

ive lived in crawly for 3 years and its a bit of a mixed suburb in terms of income. I am a poor uni student and the first hair cut i got around here cost me $30. At that point that was how much i was spending on food a week so you can understand how devestated my wallet felt. Theres a place in Freo that does it for about $12.

16. Peka

Peka New Member

I wouldn't pay $20 for a haircut (unless I got a head massage as well). Now I cut my own (hair & beard) with clippers I got for my birthday some years ago.

17. robalert

robalert New Member

parramatta sydney... haircut go down to $8... but you can't really communicate with them

i'd rather pay $15 for peace of mind... sterilised equipment and you don't have hair all over you

18. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Well, I did it! After swimming, at Bassenden, and only $10! :) Looks good too... :cool:

19. a5hi5m

a5hi5m New Member

$5-10 on razor blades every few months .. about the same for shaving gel ;)

20. jetsan

jetsan New Member

living with a hairdresser changes your mind abit, when you see all the training the good ones go through and how it really comes down to almost a artform i can see the cost.

that being ive paid over 200aus for a cut and color (yes im a guy) because i figure you gotta do it once. the freshly brewed cappas were nice.

im going for a rock god look at the moment so i havnt had a cut in ages, well not paid for one. mums rock.