A Head Start.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Theo Bekkers, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    From the Dept for Planning Website of WA

    Advanced Stop Lines for Cyclists at Traffic Signals
    Advanced Stop Lines (ASL) are the latest development for making our
    roads safer for cyclists and encouraging cycling as a mainstream form
    of transport. ASL enable cyclists to wait in a dedicated area, at the
    front of the queue at traffic signals and provide them with a head
    start from motorists. ASL are at the intersection of Clayton and Lloyd
    Streets Midland and Helena Street Midland. ASL are planned for West
    Coast Highway at Brighton Road, Hale Road, The Boulevard and Oceanic
    Drive (to be implemented during the 2003-2004 financial year).

    That pretty much condones cyclists getting to the front at traffic
    lights.

    Theo

    Tags:

  2. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:i%[email protected]
    > From the Dept for Planning Website of WA
    >
    > Advanced Stop Lines for Cyclists at Traffic Signals
    > Advanced Stop Lines (ASL) are the latest development for making our
    > roads safer for cyclists and encouraging cycling as a mainstream form
    > of transport. ASL enable cyclists to wait in a dedicated area, at the
    > front of the queue at traffic signals and provide them with a head
    > start from motorists. ASL are at the intersection of Clayton and Lloyd
    > Streets Midland and Helena Street Midland. ASL are planned for West
    > Coast Highway at Brighton Road, Hale Road, The Boulevard and Oceanic
    > Drive (to be implemented during the 2003-2004 financial year).
    >
    > That pretty much condones cyclists getting to the front at traffic
    > lights.

    Yes - these have been in place on some Melbourne roads for some time now.

    Although they are often taken up by cars that have gone too far forward.

    They are usually in place in the left hand lane of four lane bidirectional
    roads.

    Cheers,

    Tim

  3. Jorgen

    Jorgen Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]mail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    [...]
    > Yes - these have been in place on some Melbourne roads for some time now.
    >
    > Although they are often taken up by cars that have gone too far forward.

    Which is easily countered by going ahead of them again, pointing angrily
    down to the square they occupied clearly saying "bicycle".

    Which is what I do anyway...

    I don't need to have it painted on the road to do it. It works even better
    on my motorbike, as I then don't get passed by the cars again...

  4. Spider1977

    Spider1977 Guest

    Sounds like a good idea. However, there are some mad motorists aka as
    hoons, rev heads etc. who would use it as incentive to see if they can
    beat the cyclists off the start and even do a LH turn in front of them.

    As the famous saying goes "You mark my words"