A Head Start.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Theo Bekkers, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    From the Dept for Planning Website of WA

    Advanced Stop Lines for Cyclists at Traffic Signals Advanced Stop Lines (ASL) are the latest
    development for making our roads safer for cyclists and encouraging cycling as a mainstream form of
    transport. ASL enable cyclists to wait in a dedicated area, at the front of the queue at traffic
    signals and provide them with a head start from motorists. ASL are at the intersection of Clayton
    and Lloyd Streets Midland and Helena Street Midland. ASL are planned for West Coast Highway at
    Brighton Road, Hale Road, The Boulevard and Oceanic Drive (to be implemented during the 2003-2004
    financial year).

    That pretty much condones cyclists getting to the front at traffic lights.

    Theo

    Tags:

  2. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:i%[email protected]...
    > From the Dept for Planning Website of WA
    >
    > Advanced Stop Lines for Cyclists at Traffic Signals Advanced Stop Lines (ASL) are the latest
    > development for making our roads safer for cyclists and encouraging cycling as a mainstream form
    > of transport. ASL enable cyclists to wait in a dedicated area, at the front of the queue at
    > traffic signals and provide them with a head start from motorists. ASL are at the intersection of
    > Clayton and Lloyd Streets Midland and Helena Street Midland. ASL are planned for West Coast
    > Highway at Brighton Road, Hale Road, The Boulevard and Oceanic Drive (to be implemented during the
    > 2003-2004 financial year).
    >
    > That pretty much condones cyclists getting to the front at traffic lights.

    Yes - these have been in place on some Melbourne roads for some time now.

    Although they are often taken up by cars that have gone too far forward.

    They are usually in place in the left hand lane of four lane bidirectional roads.

    Cheers,

    Tim

  3. Jorgen

    Jorgen Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... [...]
    > Yes - these have been in place on some Melbourne roads for some time now.
    >
    > Although they are often taken up by cars that have gone too far forward.

    Which is easily countered by going ahead of them again, pointing angrily down to the square they
    occupied clearly saying "bicycle".

    Which is what I do anyway...

    I don't need to have it painted on the road to do it. It works even better on my motorbike, as I
    then don't get passed by the cars again...

  4. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea. However, there are some mad motorists aka as hoons, rev heads etc. who would use it as incentive to see if they can beat the cyclists off the start and even do a LH turn in front of them.

    As the famous saying goes "You mark my words"