A Head Start.

Status

Theo Bekkers

Guest
From the Dept for Planning Website of WA

Advanced Stop Lines for Cyclists at Traffic Signals Advanced Stop Lines (ASL) are the latest
development for making our roads safer for cyclists and encouraging cycling as a mainstream form of
transport. ASL enable cyclists to wait in a dedicated area, at the front of the queue at traffic
signals and provide them with a head start from motorists. ASL are at the intersection of Clayton
and Lloyd Streets Midland and Helena Street Midland. ASL are planned for West Coast Highway at
Brighton Road, Hale Road, The Boulevard and Oceanic Drive (to be implemented during the 2003-2004
financial year).

That pretty much condones cyclists getting to the front at traffic lights.

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:i%[email protected]...
> From the Dept for Planning Website of WA
>
> Advanced Stop Lines for Cyclists at Traffic Signals Advanced Stop Lines (ASL) are the latest
> development for making our roads safer for cyclists and encouraging cycling as a mainstream form
> of transport. ASL enable cyclists to wait in a dedicated area, at the front of the queue at
> traffic signals and provide them with a head start from motorists. ASL are at the intersection of
> Clayton and Lloyd Streets Midland and Helena Street Midland. ASL are planned for West Coast
> Highway at Brighton Road, Hale Road, The Boulevard and Oceanic Drive (to be implemented during the
> 2003-2004 financial year).
>
> That pretty much condones cyclists getting to the front at traffic lights.

Yes - these have been in place on some Melbourne roads for some time now.

Although they are often taken up by cars that have gone too far forward.

They are usually in place in the left hand lane of four lane bidirectional roads.

Cheers,

Tim

"Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... [...]
> Yes - these have been in place on some Melbourne roads for some time now.
>
> Although they are often taken up by cars that have gone too far forward.

Which is easily countered by going ahead of them again, pointing angrily down to the square they
occupied clearly saying "bicycle".

Which is what I do anyway...

I don't need to have it painted on the road to do it. It works even better on my motorbike, as I
then don't get passed by the cars again...

Sounds like a good idea. However, there are some mad motorists aka as hoons, rev heads etc. who would use it as incentive to see if they can beat the cyclists off the start and even do a LH turn in front of them.

As the famous saying goes "You mark my words"

Status
Not open for further replies.