A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ).

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Thaddeus L Olczyk, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. Google "Wendy's Spicy Chicken Recipes"and you will basicly find
    the sasme recipe:

    1) Make mixture of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
    cayenne pepper, pepper, salt.

    2) Make a mixture of Franks Red Hot Sauce and water.

    3) Take a chicken breast coat with mixture, dredge through diluted hot
    sauce, coat the chicken with mixture again.

    4) Deep fry breast.

    Now I have a basic problem with deep frying the chicken. I would like
    a healthier alternative. So I would like to bake instead of frying the
    chicken.

    Two problems:
    1) The powder does not stick and cook as well.
    2) The chickien comes out tasting like it was marinaded in vinegar.

    Both problems probably come from the same source. The diluted hot
    sauce probably is not dense enough for the powder to stick well. The
    vinegar in the hot sauce leaches into the chicken while baking.

    So I would like to make a substitute.

    The first thing that I think of is mixing eggs with cayenne powder
    garlic (the principle ingredients of Franks aside from water and
    vinegar ) and using that. I'm single though so I would probably
    wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
    I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).

    So can someone suggest an alternative?

    Thanks

    Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
    Think twice, code once.

    Tags:

  2. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    The reason to use egg white is because it is almost all protein so the
    stuff would stick to it. Why not try just buttermilk. Buttermilk is
    high enough in protein.

  3. L, not -L

    L, not -L Guest

    On 20-Apr-2006, Thaddeus L Olczyk <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm single though so I would probably
    > wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
    > I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).

    Use Egg Beaters instead of egg; use as much or little as you want from the
    carton, and save the rest for another time/use. Egg Beaters keep well for
    quite a while in the fridge and can even be frozen. I use Egg Beaters for
    an egg wash on baked goods and waste very little, as opposed to an egg that
    is nearly all wasted.

    --
    To email, replace Cujo with Juno

  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thaddeus L Olczyk <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:qjue42lis87rhgnnts92c2iuvt3m50oo[email protected]:

    > Google "Wendy's Spicy Chicken Recipes"and you will basicly find
    > the sasme recipe:
    >
    > 1) Make mixture of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
    > cayenne pepper, pepper, salt.
    >
    > 2) Make a mixture of Franks Red Hot Sauce and water.
    >
    > 3) Take a chicken breast coat with mixture, dredge through diluted hot
    > sauce, coat the chicken with mixture again.
    >
    > 4) Deep fry breast.
    >
    > Now I have a basic problem with deep frying the chicken. I would like
    > a healthier alternative. So I would like to bake instead of frying the
    > chicken.
    >
    > Two problems:
    > 1) The powder does not stick and cook as well.
    > 2) The chickien comes out tasting like it was marinaded in vinegar.
    >
    > Both problems probably come from the same source. The diluted hot
    > sauce probably is not dense enough for the powder to stick well. The
    > vinegar in the hot sauce leaches into the chicken while baking.
    >
    > So I would like to make a substitute.
    >
    > The first thing that I think of is mixing eggs with cayenne powder
    > garlic (the principle ingredients of Franks aside from water and
    > vinegar ) and using that. I'm single though so I would probably
    > wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
    > I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).
    >
    > So can someone suggest an alternative?
    >
    > Thanks

    > Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
    > Think twice, code once.

    How about instead of dredging in the Franks hot sauce, baste the chicken
    with it while it cooks?

    Andy

  5. On 20 Apr 2006 06:28:02 -0700, "Yogi Gupta" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The reason to use egg white is because it is almost all protein so the
    >stuff would stick to it. Why not try just buttermilk. Buttermilk is
    >high enough in protein.

    In the end my question comes down to, what can you use to get
    flour/bread crumbs/whatever stick to chicken ( or meat in general )
    to make a crust. I'm pretty sure that buttermilk would work, but won't
    it give the chicken a sour taste?
    Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
    Think twice, code once.

  6. On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:38:59 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

    >How about instead of dredging in the Franks hot sauce, baste the chicken
    >with it while it cooks?

    Hmm. Right eliminate the vinegary taste in the chicken by basting with
    vinegar. Of course basting like this will help the flour crust stay
    on.

    Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
    Think twice, code once.

  7. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Thaddeus L Olczyk <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 20 Apr 2006 06:28:02 -0700, "Yogi Gupta" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The reason to use egg white is because it is almost all protein so the
    > >stuff would stick to it. Why not try just buttermilk. Buttermilk is
    > >high enough in protein.

    > In the end my question comes down to, what can you use to get
    > flour/bread crumbs/whatever stick to chicken ( or meat in general )
    > to make a crust. I'm pretty sure that buttermilk would work, but won't
    > it give the chicken a sour taste?

    I doubt it. Try it and find out. Also, instead of frying the chicken,
    spray it with Pam or some other similar product and bake it. The most
    unhealthy aspect of Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich is that its deep
    fried and that adds a huge amount of fat and calories to it. You can
    probably reduce the fat and calories by half simply by baking the
    chicken.

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:02:00 GMT, Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

    > Google "Wendy's Spicy Chicken Recipes"and you will basicly find
    > the sasme recipe:
    >
    > 1) Make mixture of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
    > cayenne pepper, pepper, salt.
    >
    > 2) Make a mixture of Franks Red Hot Sauce and water.
    >
    > 3) Take a chicken breast coat with mixture, dredge through diluted hot
    > sauce, coat the chicken with mixture again.
    >
    > 4) Deep fry breast.
    >
    > Now I have a basic problem with deep frying the chicken. I would like
    > a healthier alternative. So I would like to bake instead of frying the
    > chicken.
    >
    > Two problems:
    > 1) The powder does not stick and cook as well.
    > 2) The chickien comes out tasting like it was marinaded in vinegar.
    >
    > Both problems probably come from the same source. The diluted hot
    > sauce probably is not dense enough for the powder to stick well. The
    > vinegar in the hot sauce leaches into the chicken while baking.
    >
    > So I would like to make a substitute.
    >
    > The first thing that I think of is mixing eggs with cayenne powder
    > garlic (the principle ingredients of Franks aside from water and
    > vinegar ) and using that. I'm single though so I would probably
    > wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
    > I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).
    >
    > So can someone suggest an alternative?

    Use sriracha sauce instead of Franks. Sriracha has only 1/10th
    the vinegar of Franks, Tabasco, etc...

    You may just want to brine the chicken breasts in 2 cups water
    with 1TB (or slightly less) table salt and 2TB sriracha. I pound
    the breasts first then brine for 1-1.5 hours. Then dry-fry in a
    pan.

    I have no idea what a Wendy's sandwich taste like, but I like
    this version. You can coat the thing with extra spices after you
    take it out of the brine, but don't any any more sriracha to the
    outside as it will burn.

    -sw

  9. Food Snob

    Food Snob Guest

    Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
    > Google "Wendy's Spicy Chicken Recipes"and you will basicly find
    > the sasme recipe:
    >
    > 1) Make mixture of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
    > cayenne pepper, pepper, salt.
    >
    > 2) Make a mixture of Franks Red Hot Sauce and water.
    >
    > 3) Take a chicken breast coat with mixture, dredge through diluted hot
    > sauce, coat the chicken with mixture again.
    >
    > 4) Deep fry breast.
    >
    > Now I have a basic problem with deep frying the chicken. I would like
    > a healthier alternative. So I would like to bake instead of frying the
    > chicken.
    >
    > Two problems:
    > 1) The powder does not stick and cook as well.
    > 2) The chickien comes out tasting like it was marinaded in vinegar.
    >
    > Both problems probably come from the same source. The diluted hot
    > sauce probably is not dense enough for the powder to stick well. The
    > vinegar in the hot sauce leaches into the chicken while baking.
    >
    > So I would like to make a substitute.
    >
    > The first thing that I think of is mixing eggs with cayenne powder
    > garlic (the principle ingredients of Franks aside from water and
    > vinegar ) and using that. I'm single though so I would probably
    > wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
    > I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).
    >
    > So can someone suggest an alternative?
    >
    > Thanks

    When your imitation trash comes out like, well, trash, why are you
    surprised?

    > Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
    > Think twice, code once.

    --Bryan