A Hot and Happy New Year - and recipe request

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Rhonda Anderson, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. Well, if the website I consulted was correct it's now 2006 almost
    everywhere in the world. I think Hawaii, Tahiti and Cook Islands are next
    in about 4 minutes or so, and then Samoa about an hour after that.

    Hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve celebration and that 2006 is a
    great year for all of us.

    My sister, BIL and two nephews came over last night for a relaxed evening
    of nibblies, card games and so on. Watched the fireworks on telly at
    midnight. They stayed the night and stayed for lunch. We were going to
    have a barbecue but decided it was going to be too hot - and the forecast
    was right.I made beef and vegie, and chicken and vegie skewers and did
    them in the griller in the stove instead of on the barbecue. Watermelon
    and rockmelon for dessert, along with some chocolate iced cupcakes.

    I think it got to around 45C here today (113F) and humidity quite low -
    fire weather, though I haven't smelt any smoke around here yet, there are
    fires elsewhere in the state. I went out at around 8pm (it's now 8.55pm
    1st Jan 06) to hose the garden. (We have water restrictions at the moment
    and can only use a hose on Wednesday and Sunday before 10am or after
    4pm). It was still uncomfortably hot, so when I came inside I had a look
    at the Bureau of Meteorology website - around 38-39 C (100-102F) here at
    the 8.20pm observation. My electricity bill's going to be a whopper, I
    think, the airconditioning is getting a good workout - hottest December
    on record they're saying.

    Think I'll make some frozen goodies - does anyone have any good gelato
    recipes?

    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    Tags:

  2. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 02:56:29a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rhonda
    Anderson?

    > Well, if the website I consulted was correct it's now 2006 almost
    > everywhere in the world. I think Hawaii, Tahiti and Cook Islands are next
    > in about 4 minutes or so, and then Samoa about an hour after that.
    >
    > Hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve celebration and that 2006 is a
    > great year for all of us.
    >
    > My sister, BIL and two nephews came over last night for a relaxed evening
    > of nibblies, card games and so on. Watched the fireworks on telly at
    > midnight. They stayed the night and stayed for lunch. We were going to
    > have a barbecue but decided it was going to be too hot - and the forecast
    > was right.I made beef and vegie, and chicken and vegie skewers and did
    > them in the griller in the stove instead of on the barbecue. Watermelon
    > and rockmelon for dessert, along with some chocolate iced cupcakes.
    >
    > I think it got to around 45C here today (113F) and humidity quite low -
    > fire weather, though I haven't smelt any smoke around here yet, there are
    > fires elsewhere in the state. I went out at around 8pm (it's now 8.55pm
    > 1st Jan 06) to hose the garden. (We have water restrictions at the moment
    > and can only use a hose on Wednesday and Sunday before 10am or after
    > 4pm). It was still uncomfortably hot, so when I came inside I had a look
    > at the Bureau of Meteorology website - around 38-39 C (100-102F) here at
    > the 8.20pm observation. My electricity bill's going to be a whopper, I
    > think, the airconditioning is getting a good workout - hottest December
    > on record they're saying.
    >
    > Think I'll make some frozen goodies - does anyone have any good gelato
    > recipes?
    >
    > Rhonda Anderson
    > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    Happy New Year, Rhonda!

    It sounds as though you're having summer temperatures like we do here in
    Central Arizona.

    Here are three gelato recipes that might cool you off. Enjoy!

    Peach Gelato
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups water
    1 1/4 lb fully ripe peaches, peeled halved and pitted
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 cup heavy cream

    Put sugar and 2 cups water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar
    dissolves, then raise heat, bring syrup to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
    Transfer syrup to a bowl and let it cool completely. Purée peaches in a
    food processor blender. Measure out 2 cups of purée and stir in lemon
    juice. Add purée to cooled sugar syrup and chill thoroughly. Whip cream
    into soft peaks and fold it into fruit mixture. Transfer mixture to ice
    cream machine and freeze according to machine's directions.

    Chocolate Gelato recipe
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups milk
    1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
    3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    4 egg yolks, beaten lightly

    In a heavy saucepan cook 1/4 cup sugar, undisturbed, over moderate heat
    until it begins to melt and cook, stirring with fork, until melted
    completely and deep golden brown. Remove pan from heat and dip pan briefly
    into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. (Caramel will harden). Cool pan
    about 5 minutes and return to heat. Add milk and cook over moderate heat,
    whisking until caramel is melted. Whisk in cocoa until combined well and
    keep mixture warm.

    In a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt
    chocolate, stirring, and remove from heat. In a bowl with an electric mixer
    beat egg yolks with remaining 3/4 cup sugar until thick and pale. Whisk in
    caramel mixture and chocolate in streams, whisking until combined. Pour
    custard into another 3 quart heavy saucepan and cook over moderately low
    heat until a candy thermometer registers 140 F. Cook custard stirring (do
    not let it boil), 4 minutes more and remove from heat. Cool custard
    completely and freeze in an ice cream maker.

    Coffee Gelato recipe
    2/3 cup sugar
    4 egg yolks
    1 cup milk; at room temperature
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons instant coffee
    1 cup heavy cream

    Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until pale yellow and very thick.
    Slowly add the milk, beating gently to avoid a build-up of foam. Stir in
    the salt. Transfer mixture to the top of a double boiler with an inch of
    boiling water in the bottom half. Regulate heat so water remains at a low
    boil, and stir continuously 8 minutes. Custard will thicken enough to coat
    the spoon, and surface foam will disappear. Immediately remove top of
    double boiler and set it in a large bowl of cold water. Stir 2 minutes to
    cool custard somewhat. Then transfer it to a bowl and add the coffee,
    stirring to dissolve it thoroughly. Cover and set in refrigerator to chill
    thoroughly. Also chill heavy cream. When ready to proceed, whip cream into
    soft peaks and stir it into coffee custard. Transfer mixture to ice cream
    machine and proceed according to machine's directions.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  3. serene

    serene Guest

    On 1 Jan 2006 14:35:27 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Happy New Year, Rhonda!
    >
    >It sounds as though you're having summer temperatures like we do here in
    >Central Arizona.

    That's 'cause where Rhonda is, it's summer. :)

    Happy new year, everyone!

    serene, about to go put together all the food to take to the New
    Year's Day open house -- fondue fountain, yay!

  4. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:34:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

    > On 1 Jan 2006 14:35:27 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Happy New Year, Rhonda!
    >>
    >>It sounds as though you're having summer temperatures like we do here in
    >>Central Arizona.

    > That's 'cause where Rhonda is, it's summer. :)

    Yes, I know. I didn't know their temperature range.

    > Happy new year, everyone!
    >
    > serene, about to go put together all the food to take to the New
    > Year's Day open house -- fondue fountain, yay!

    We're staying home. I'm glad. :)

    Have a great time!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  5. Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun 01 Jan 2006 02:56:29a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rhonda
    > Anderson?

    >> Think I'll make some frozen goodies - does anyone have any good
    >> gelato recipes?
    >>
    >> Rhonda Anderson
    >> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    > Happy New Year, Rhonda!
    >
    > It sounds as though you're having summer temperatures like we do here
    > in Central Arizona.
    >
    > Here are three gelato recipes that might cool you off. Enjoy!

    Thanks for the recipes, Wayne. I've saved those. We had a southerly
    change come through late last night so we now have a reprieve! There's
    been some rain - typical, since I watered the garden. It's in the low 20s
    (68-70F) at the moment, max expected only to be in the high 20s. The
    forecast for the rest of the week is high 20s to low 30s (80s to low 90s
    F), some possible showers - so it's humid again! I hate muggy weather. Oh
    well, it's summer <g>. We'll see if the forecast is right <g>.

    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  6. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 06:05:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rhonda
    Anderson?

    > Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 02:56:29a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rhonda
    >> Anderson?

    >>> Think I'll make some frozen goodies - does anyone have any good
    >>> gelato recipes?
    >>>
    >>> Rhonda Anderson
    >>> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    >> Happy New Year, Rhonda!
    >>
    >> It sounds as though you're having summer temperatures like we do here
    >> in Central Arizona.
    >>
    >> Here are three gelato recipes that might cool you off. Enjoy!

    > Thanks for the recipes, Wayne. I've saved those. We had a southerly
    > change come through late last night so we now have a reprieve! There's
    > been some rain - typical, since I watered the garden. It's in the low 20s
    > (68-70F) at the moment, max expected only to be in the high 20s. The
    > forecast for the rest of the week is high 20s to low 30s (80s to low 90s
    > F), some possible showers - so it's humid again! I hate muggy weather. Oh
    > well, it's summer <g>. We'll see if the forecast is right <g>.
    >
    > Rhonda Anderson
    > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    You're welcome, Rhonda. Glad the sizzling temperatures have subsided.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*