A (Laid back) piece of history

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Senior, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Tags:

  2. garryb59

    garryb59 Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:18:00 +0100, Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote:

    >Just did my usual search on eBay to see if there was anything
    >interesting on offer.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7172794682&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    >
    >Burrows Windcheetah 284, currently owned by Adam Hart Davis.

    See those characteristic mono forks and those special lugs that hold
    the tubes together.

    Jon, I seem to recall you mentioning you'd read his book[ages ago], I
    was reminded of it the other day and got curious. How did you find it?

    Garry
    [off for beer]

  3. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    garryb59 wrote:
    > See those characteristic mono forks and those special lugs that hold
    > the tubes together.

    They are a thing of beauty! :)

    > Jon, I seem to recall you mentioning you'd read his book[ages ago], I
    > was reminded of it the other day and got curious. How did you find it?

    'twas not I, I'm afraid.

    Jon

  4. arellcat

    arellcat Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:

    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7172794682&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    >
    > Burrows Windcheetah 284, currently owned by Adam Hart Davis.

    I saw this one too, and I think it's the real deal. Didn't someone try to
    steal AHD's Windcheetah last year? I never found out whether or not it was
    recovered, I suppose it must have been if he's selling it. Chassis #284
    puts production to around 1991-92 I think - still with Moulton rims but with
    revised front upright castings. I wonder if the original owner specified
    pink castings, or whether AHD has actually owned it since new? I also see
    the ever-eager 'kisscycles' has put in a bid.

    Becky

  5. garryb59

    garryb59 Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:52:31 +0100, Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote:

    >garryb59 wrote:
    >> See those characteristic mono forks and those special lugs that hold
    >> the tubes together.

    >They are a thing of beauty! :)
    >
    >> Jon, I seem to recall you mentioning you'd read his book[ages ago], I
    >> was reminded of it the other day and got curious. How did you find it?

    >'twas not I, I'm afraid.

    Ok, not sure where I got that from then[thinking Xmas present [eh?
    where is my thinking?], oh well, might just have to find out for
    myself then! Terrible.

    Garry

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    arellcat wrote:
    > I saw this one too, and I think it's the real deal. Didn't someone try to
    > steal AHD's Windcheetah last year?

    Yes, they did.

    > I never found out whether or not it was
    > recovered, I suppose it must have been if he's selling it.

    Yes, it was. I can't remember where I read about it, it may have been
    in Bristol Cyclist or on the BCC mailing list.